IGNORED

Legendary consoles you never liked

4Ks

For me it has to be the Genesis. I always found the SNES to be superior for most games. Graphics and sound were nearly always better, and I liked the selection of RPGs better. The SNES has always been one of my favorite systems though so I'm sure at least at the time I was biased. I now enjoy the Genny quite a bit, especially for some of its platformers.

I'm the reverse. I utterly hated the SNES back in the day. Combination of me hating Nintendo's business tactics during the NES era, the hype and what I felt was Nintendo's sheer arrogance at the time. Plus, the rabid SNES fans going on about the "vastly superior graphics and sound" kind of bugged me. My reply was always, "of course it's got slightly better graphics and sound ... it's two years newer. Given the amount of time Nintendo had to look at and improve on the Genesis, this is a very incremental improvement compared to the time they had"

That said, I do probably need to give the SNES another look just on the basis of its best games, vs any biases about Nintendo, disappointment over the hardware etc.

For me it has to be the Genesis. I always found the SNES to be superior for most games. Graphics and sound were nearly always better, and I liked the selection of RPGs better. The SNES has always been one of my favorite systems though so I'm sure at least at the time I was biased. I now enjoy the Genny quite a bit, especially for some of its platformers.

I'm the reverse. I utterly hated the SNES back in the day. Combination of me hating Nintendo's business tactics during the NES era, the hype and what I felt was Nintendo's sheer arrogance at the time. Plus, the rabid SNES fans going on about the "vastly superior graphics and sound" kind of bugged me. My reply was always, "of course it's got slightly better graphics and sound ... it's two years newer. Given the amount of time Nintendo had to look at and improve on the Genesis, this is a very incremental improvement compared to the time they had"

That said, I do probably need to give the SNES another look just on the basis of its best games, vs any biases about Nintendo, disappointment over the hardware etc.

Kinda sums up the 16 bit wars doesn't it? Good times they were :)

Edited by Lord Helmet

And pretty unique! Usually one console dominates substantially while the others lag far behind.

In this case, they were neck and neck in a lot of markets ... and changing the "first" crown back and forth Christmas after Christmas.

And pretty unique! Usually one console dominates substantially while the others lag far behind.

In this case, they were neck and neck in a lot of markets ... and changing the "first" crown back and forth Christmas after Christmas.

That it is, the fact that 20 some odd years later people still get heated over it is a testament to how deep it went.

That it is, the fact that 20 some odd years later people still get heated over it is a testament to how deep it went.

One interesting by-product was to observe how well games with Sonic sold specifically on Nintendo consoles once Sega stopped making consoles. Nintendo owners seemed to lap 'em up.

If VGChartz is to be believed:

Sonic and Mario at the Olympic games sold 7.62 million on the Wii and 4.81 million on the DS.

The sequel did 3.4 million on the Wii and 2.75 on the DS

On GameCube:

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - 2.49 million

Sonic Heroes - 1.46 million Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut - 1.12 million Sonic Mega Collections (Genesis games!) - 2 million

Other Wii:

Sonic Unleashed - 1.48 million

Sonic and the Secret Rings - 2.26 million

Edited by DracIsBack

I really don't believe any consoles were bad, every console had/has something good to offer. To be honest, the O2 had games like Popeye that were disappointing, and a few others.My friend had one,back in what, 81-82? when they 1st came out.Lets just say, at the time, it didn't make me want to run to the store and get an O2 for myself.But now, I wish I did have an O2, I just judged too quickly.I always insisted to that friend, mostly because he dissed the 2600, that the 2600 was superior and had more to offer.There are some great games for the 02 though.

Edited by Rik

For me it was the Genesis. Don't get me wrong, I love sonic. But...that's it. Sonic. For the most part I just liked the stuff on the SNES better (especially when the same game is on both systems (Lemmings) ) Sega just always seemed to be that one trick pony, they got sonic, and they got other characters, but ask people to name a few and it's "sonic...and uh...." Nintendo always seemed to have a much wider range of original and interesting characters.

Someone mentioned the "neck and neck" nature of the 16 bit generation, but that's with Sega constantly "rebooting" (adding yet another addon to bring attention to itself) while Nintendo seemed to just release new games instead.

I know, I know, people will come and say how much more powerful the Genesis is than the SNES, and when you ask for some games, they inevitably mention some sports title.....automatically inducing projectile vomiting. (seriously, is there a point in history where Sports games weren't the bottom of the barrel shit nobody wants for the console clogging up clearance bins?)

Anyhow, I didn't hate the Genesis, even back in the day, but I never liked it either.

• Like 1

Not to dispute your opinion, because you explain yourself very well, but...

For me it was the Genesis. Don't get me wrong, I love sonic. But...that's it. Sonic. For the most part I just liked the stuff on the SNES better (especially when the same game is on both systems (Lemmings) ) Sega just always seemed to be that one trick pony, they got sonic, and they got other characters, but ask people to name a few and it's "sonic...and uh...." Nintendo always seemed to have a much wider range of original and interesting characters.

It is very true that Sega didn't have very many, or really any mascot characters beyond the Sonic crew, but then the company didn't really need any more. And the truth is you can have a successful console without any mascot at all. Where's Sony's mascot? Where is Microsoft's?

What made the Genesis a success, besides Sonic and besides sports games (yes, they contributed back then, even if no one wants them now), were arcade games, especially Sega's. Before the 16bit era, Sega titles like OutRun, After Burner, Space Harrier and Thunder Blade didn't really have any decent home ports. The Genesis did those games better justice... even if in some cases players had to settle for slightly different looking sequels like Space Harrier II and Super Thunder Blade. Other companies' arcade games, particularly Atari's, also received their best home ports on the Genesis, while getting nothing on SNES.

Someone mentioned the "neck and neck" nature of the 16 bit generation, but that's with Sega constantly "rebooting" (adding yet another addon to bring attention to itself) while Nintendo seemed to just release new games instead.

Actually it is more accurate to say the Genesis was successful despite all of the constant attempts at expansion. The SegaCD never really caught on, the LaserActive was never going to be more than a niche market anyway, and the 32X was an outright failure. Yet the Genesis itself kept going.

I know, I know, people will come and say how much more powerful the Genesis is than the SNES, and when you ask for some games, they inevitably mention some sports title.....automatically inducing projectile vomiting. (seriously, is there a point in history where Sports games weren't the bottom of the barrel shit nobody wants for the console clogging up clearance bins?)

Putting aside the debates about what makes one system more powerful than the other, I would say the sports games really aren't good examples of what the system can do. The Sonic games are a much better demonstration of what the Genesis's faster CPU is capable of.

Edited by FujiSkunk

I know, I know, people will come and say how much more powerful the Genesis is than the SNES, and when you ask for some games, they inevitably mention some sports title.....automatically inducing projectile vomiting. (seriously, is there a point in history where Sports games weren't the bottom of the barrel shit nobody wants for the console clogging up clearance bins?

Yeah, the sports games always bug me, too. I dislike the Genesis much less than I do the SNES, but I don't like enough of the games in its library to justify having one in my collection. The glut of sports games is one reason. I like the Sonic series, but if it wasn't for those games (and maybe a few other odd Genesis titles I enjoy), I would have thought that the console was made by ESPN and not Sega. Seriously, how many different versions of Madden Football did we really need on the Genesis, not to mention all the other crap sports games that you always have to rake through in stores to find the good stuff. Dick Vitale's College Hoops? Come on! What a waste of plastic and silicon!

I never got the Saturn or the Dreamcast. Both systems were rushed out into the market, had better ports of games found on other systems, and the best stuff never got released here in the States.

You really need to take another look at those libraries if you think that's true.

I never got the Saturn or the Dreamcast. Both systems were rushed out into the market, had better ports of games found on other systems, and the best stuff never got released here in the States.

You really need to take another look at those libraries if you think that's true.

That would depend on the games yeah. Something like Unreal sucks on the Dreamcast. It's not the systems specs at fault, but rather the controller which wasn't designed for that type of game.

For most games though, unless it was on the Xbox or something I'd like the DC version better though.

That would depend on the games yeah. Something like Unreal sucks on the Dreamcast. It's not the systems specs at fault, but rather the controller which wasn't designed for that type of game.

For most games though, unless it was on the Xbox or something I'd like the DC version better though.

Weren't 3D games usually better on Playstation than on the Saturn? 2D was definitely better on the Saturn.

Most of the really good Dreamcast games were exclusive.

The Sega Genesis would be my favorite console, if only Sega (and fanboys) weren't so arrogant, and didn't let out hundreds of incorrect technical facts people take the bible.

"The Snes can't scroll backgrounds as fast as the Genesis"

A screen of background map on the SNES takes 2kB (32x32 tiles * 2 bytes per tile = 2048 bytes). It can upload 6kB of data during v-blank via dma. That means the Snes can scroll the background at a speed of 3 SCREENS PER FRAME!

Edited by Multijointed Monster Maker

I didn't say mascots. Though Nintendo has tons of those too. I said "recognizable characters"

Though 10 years ago,I would have given Spyro and Crash as Sony Mascots. Of course that is not the case anymore...To bad too, those were some of the games that got me to buy the PSX. Though Sony does still have Twisted Metal, not a mascot to be sure, but still well recognized and exclusive. Also Granturismo.

As for Microsoft. WTF? How about Master chief? (who could easily be considered a mascot) How about PGR, or Froza? Mech Warrior? Fable? Mass effect? Yeah,I could list recognizable games all day long for that thing...though I could be wrong and just hallucinating. :lol:

The Sega Genesis would be my favorite console, if only Sega (and fanboys) weren't so arrogant, and didn't let out hundreds of incorrect technical facts people take the bible.

"The Snes can't scroll backgrounds as fast as the Genesis"

A screen of background map on the SNES takes 2kB (32x32 tiles * 2 bytes per tile = 2048 bytes). It can upload 6kB of data during v-blank via dma. That means the Snes can scroll the background at a speed of 3 SCREENS PER FRAME!

:lol: Beware the rabbid SEGA fanboys that will come and "correct" you (kind of like my last post where someone said I had good points, but was wrong (On my opinions no less)....so which is it? I got good points, or I'm wrong? Get your facts straight before "correcting" me.

I never really got into the Genesis. I only got one because it was free, then later I got a killer deal on a LaserActive with the Genesis pack. I have purchased a few Genesis and SCD games since then, but not many. Ditto for the TG-16, I never really got into it, but now with a system that can play the games, I've considered buying a few.

I haven't played SNES enough to think one way or the other about it. Oh, and this may ruffle some feathers, but I will say I don't much like the 5200, but the other Atari units I have (and several emulated 5200 games) are an absolute blast to play.

Not that I really want to get in some stupid fanboy argument, but scrolling performance is going to depend on all the other game logic and setup that prepares what the screen will look like, not just the process of uploading it to the video buffer.

You have to reupload each tilemap layer every frame to scroll them? Surely it's more efficient than that.

No, I don't know anything about SNES or Genesis programming, but I seriously doubt that video uploading speed is the differentiating factor, if there really is any difference in their scrolling performance at all.

:lol: Beware the rabbid SEGA fanboys that will come and "correct" you (kind of like my last post where someone said I had good points, but was wrong (On my opinions no less)....so which is it? I got good points, or I'm wrong? Get your facts straight before "correcting" me.

If this was directed at me, then you misunderstood my post and my intentions. I said you explained yourself very well because you actually took the time to give reasons why you prefer the SNES over the Genesis, instead of the usual "SEGA SUX LOL!!11!" I also had no intention of calling your opinion "wrong," or even of trying to change your opinion; that's why I said upfront that my post was not to dispute your opinion.

I posted because, from my perspective, some of the points you gave about why you prefered the SNES over the Genesis were based on faulty information, and so I wanted to help clarify those points so that people wouldn't try to call you out on them again later. You said you believed the Genesis managed to compete with the SNES as well as it did because of the constant release of add-ons and expansions. The reality was that these expansions didn't help much, or in some cases even at all. Stating that fact does not make your opinion wrong, but it does give you the chance to revise the reasoning behind your opinion, so that in the future no one can accuse you of spreading misinformation.

And please note that I am not accusing you of spreading misinformation, but these rabid Sega fanboys that you speak of could very well jump at the chance if you give it to them.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Graphically,they were both really about the same. I like my nintendo better though because it had cooler games and it was the first game system I had.

I never liked the SNES much. The games seemed more kiddie, the graphics high on pastels. Did not like the music chip as much, nor the controller. But it had a lot of good first party games and RPGs. Mode 7 ruled, too.

Conversely, never liked the Saturn much. Felt like it had a lot of "loser" games on it and that the Sega magic was gone by then, but was still interested in Panzer Dragoon, NiGHTS, and a few others (Dragon Force, Shining the Holy Ark, Dark Savior, Legend of Oasis). I know the Japanese output was better, but still feel it's overrated in fandom world (where the "legendary" status resides).

Also wasn't into Dreamcast or N64. With the N64, the games were too blurry, smoothed-out, and it seemed like they never had the darker, edgier, cooler titles PS1 had. All the innovation seemed to be happening on PS1 at the time.

Wasn't much into the original Gameboy either. Don't know why. Had a Game Gear instead and tended to prefer Sega stuff at the time, but Gameboys were pretty cool. I just found the graphics hard to see and unpleasant because they were monochrome and lacked detail. Seemed like there were few AAA type titles on it too, whereas today's handheld market, at least with DS, does have quality original content.

Of all the consoles or brands out there I was never a Sega fan in any shape or form, I even at one time bought a genesis to try and get myself to like the system but just could never get "into" it. I am going to go out on a limb here......but I always felt sonic was a cheap rip off of mario bros for whatever reason. (even tho I never really like either). But hey its just my opinion and how I felt about those systems when they came out.

Don't shoot me (ducking for cover now) I know there is a huge fan base out there for them (Sega) and always thought that the dreamcast was way way ahead of its time for technical achievements but again just could never get into it, I was to busy playing FF7 at that time.

I was never a huge fan of Nintendo in general after the SNES I always felt the N64 was to expensive for its time. To many accessories all sold individually. Making my head swim when I saw the total cost of what it would take to play the next Zelda at that time.

Edited by thebiggw

I am going to go out on a limb here......but I always felt sonic was a cheap rip off of mario bros for whatever reason. (even tho I never really like either). But hey its just my opinion and how I felt about those systems when they came out.

I don't think the games are very similar at all, but in terms of marketing I do agree the creation of Sonic was inspired by what they saw Nintendo doing with Mario. Sonic also seemed more brazenly manufactured than Mario, who at least appeared in some popular games before he was turned into an icon. Sonic was more of a deliberate marketing invention from day 1.

The game they gave him was another marketing tool, emphasizing speed over gameplay IMO. It's an above average game but nothing incredible. The character was more important than the game really.

Although I think Sonic is overrated as a game, he was undeniably important for selling consoles so I'm glad Sega came up with him. He made a quick fix to Sega's lack of appeal to younger kids, and made the system more attractive to parents than it was in the days of the Altered Beast packaging.

For me, the real reasons to own a Genesis are series like Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Phantasy Star, Thunder Force, etc.

I always felt the N64 was to expensive for its time.

Yeah, it probably was. I like the N64 better than the Playstation, but I didn't buy it until it was obsolete so all my stuff is used and cheap.