IGNORED

Refurbing my Atari

SlowCoder

I've completed refurb of my Atari, except for one mystery ...

I would like to be able to remove the cartridge slot assembly from the metal casing. I have removed the circuit board from the bottom of the metal casing and am now unable to determine how to remove the slot assembly from it without unsoldering the connectors. Any ideas?

Be very careful with the cartridge slot pins. I ruined my original Tele Games unit by thinking I could remove the cartridge pins from the main board by prying the plastic housing up and away from the board. Only way I can think of is to desolder each and every pin from the board, and the use of a solder pump would be beneficial.

Why on earth do you want to do that? :?

Only to make sure it is cleaned out. If it comes to unsoldering, that's where I'd draw the line. I just thought maybe there is a way I hadn't figured out yet.

Why would you do that?? :?

Why on earth do you want to do that? :?

Why would you do that?? :?

Huh ... Are you too in cahoots? ;)

The purpose was to try to clean the area between the plastic cartridge slot and the metal shield. I draw the line at actually unsoldering anything, as I don't want to misalign the slot and/or damage the board.

What do you mean "between the plastic cartridge slot and the metal shield"? If you're working on a six-switcher, you know the motherboard comes right out of the shielding after you remove two screws under the bottom of the board, right? It may be a tight fit, and may take some fiddling to get it back together properly. But getting the board/cart port out of the shielding is as simple as pressing your thumbs against the plastic, through the cartridge slot in the shield.

If you're talking about a four-switcher, you need to get some small pliers and straighten out the metal tabs. Once they're straight, the shielding should practically or actually just fall off the circuit board.

Edited by A.J. Franzman