IGNORED

Modern Modular Atari Controller

What do you think of the concept?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the concept?

• I love it, and would totally buy one!
    • It's ok but I don't see the need.
    • That is stupid, just use a classic joystick!
    • I could be interested, if it was cheap enough and worked well.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I've been kicking around this idea for a while and want to know what people think of it. The idea is that you can save space, reducing the joystick "rats nest" and also get a more reliable controller to play your classic games.

The Atari 2600 is my target console, but I suppose any one-button serial port setup could be feasible, or even USB.

gallery_6383_333_76359.jpg

If you can't tell from the picture, the central "core" module has the fire button and the cord, and the other D-pad and paddle modules plug into either side of it (whichever you prefer) depending on which game you're playing.

I grew up on the Coleco Gemeni, so the idea of a different/revamped controller for the Atari 2600 doesn't seem at all like heresy to me, but I'd like to know if you all agree.

Edited by Fangorn81

Some people may dislike the d-pad, but there is a simple solution. Make it like Gravis did, with a joystick attachment that screws into the d-pad.

Personally, I think its pretty great. Funny thing is, I had this same idea, but for Colecovision/ INTV. The idea would be a number-pad, and a joystick attachment that could be placed above or below the number pad. It would be a great USB controller for use with emulators like Nostalgia or BlueMSX.

Have an add-on that features an analog joystick (via 2 paddle controllers, one for each axis) and I'm sold.

Very neat idea. I had a similar idea where it'd be a controller that had no buttons. The whole face would be a touchscreen, and you could adjust the (virtual) buttons to your fitting. Move them around, add/remove buttons, joysticks , etc. Then I realized that using a touchscreen for buttons isn't all that great, even with haptic feedback to help create the illusion of actually pushing a button.

The whole modular idea presents opportunities for all kinds of crazy add-ons... maybe a joystick with a cord, similar to the Wiimote and Nunchuk. I always loved being able to have my hands have more freedom to move around separately. Easier to get comfortable.

Edited by Animan

Interesting Idea, how do you control wether the button is for joystic, or for paddle? (remember, you push left on the joystick to press a "paddle" button) Switch? Or would it be computercontrolled or osmething?

For that matter, the biggest draw for modular controller for me would be left/right handedness. You could easily slip that Dpad thing into either side and use it either way.

Anyhow, the Idea is cool, but I think giving the accessability to really use it usefully would be a nightmare, either requireing lots of dips, switches, or some sort of computer control and maybe a micro gravity switch.

Like an above poster said, make an analog attachment that would simulate two paddles, and a second fire button for the core to take use of both buttons. As far as I know, the only game that would make good use of it right now would be marble craze, but honestly, if a mass produced analog stick were made, I could see more games coming behind pretty quickly.

Interesting Idea, how do you control wether the button is for joystic, or for paddle? (remember, you push left on the joystick to press a "paddle" button) Switch? Or would it be computercontrolled or osmething?

That isn't a bad idea at all, and it's actually pretty cool. Though the button beeing in the center is not for real hands, the concept is sound. Maybe the button being on top would be better, next to the cord.

You wouldn't be using both the paddle and the D-pad at the same time. You just plug in whichever one you need for the game you are playing. I think the large main image may be misleading some people...

EDIT: Now I see what you are saying...I feel like it wouldn't be too hard to have separate contacts inside the socket that complete the circuit differently for the fire button depending on which module is plugged in.

For that matter, the biggest draw for modular controller for me would be left/right handedness. You could easily slip that Dpad thing into either side and use it either way.

Yes, that is my intention. :)

Anyhow, the Idea is cool, but I think giving the accessability to really use it usefully would be a nightmare, either requireing lots of dips, switches, or some sort of computer control and maybe a micro gravity switch.

I have no idea why any of this would come into play?! @.@;

Like an above poster said, make an analog attachment that would simulate two paddles, and a second fire button for the core to take use of both buttons. As far as I know, the only game that would make good use of it right now would be marble craze, but honestly, if a mass produced analog stick were made, I could see more games coming behind pretty quickly.

It seems feasible to incorporate a micro controller (or something) to be able to send signal from two paddles at once, but could the Atari console make use of such input coming in from one joystick port?

The whole modular idea presents opportunities for all kinds of crazy add-ons... maybe a joystick with a cord, similar to the Wiimote and Nunchuk. I always loved being able to have my hands have more freedom to move around separately. Easier to get comfortable.

Also, It could be possible to also have a two button "Core" or a joystick module, or a keypad module, or even a trackball module....that would make it one versatile controller!

Edited by Fangorn81

I love modularity and have batted around ideas myself (mostly for arcade controls). I think one key feature would have to be rigidity when the components are interlocked (so they don't twist and feel flimsy in your hands). And I would forgo the D-pad and use an arcade stick, but that's just my personal preference. :)

IF USB:

Great idea and you would have a monster hit if it worked as well in MAME, allowing the paddle controller to double up as a spinner for games like Tempest or a driving controller for games like Super Sprint.

You could not make enough of them to keep up with demand if it worked like that for Mame.

I am a complete purist when it comes to my games and controllers... except, for whatever reason, when it comes to the 2600. I'm all about modding that thing and pimping it out, and I have no loveloss for the original controllers. I'd happily buy something like this.

However, I have serious concerns about the ergonomics of it. If you're going to make it customizable, go all out, including the option to put the controls on the left and the fire button on the right.

I have no idea why any of this would come into play?! @.@;

I guess it wouldn't be a real problem it'd just be kind of a dedicated db9 to plug the different modules into, that could mostly be controlled by the wiring.

It seems feasible to incorporate a micro controller (or something) to be able to send signal from two paddles at once, but could the Atari console make use of such input coming in from one joystick port?

Don't see why not, after all, the stock paddles already work two through one controller port. I built a stick already but as I said, it only works with one game right now :P