IGNORED

Modern Modular Atari Controller

What do you think of the concept?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the concept?

• I love it, and would totally buy one!
    • It's ok but I don't see the need.
    • That is stupid, just use a classic joystick!
    • I could be interested, if it was cheap enough and worked well.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

@Fangorn81: :thumbsup: Nice renderings! Have you worked out the technical details for this? For example, the fire button for the joystick and the fire button for the paddle are different pins. Also, making the modules reversible (for left/right handed use) will make the plugs interesting to design. There may be other hurdles but those are the two off the top of my head.

One other thing, would there be a latency issue with remote paddle control?

No, neither the inside of the housing nor the circuit boards, or pin-outs are worked out. This is just sort of a proof of concept rendering. Most likely if this were ever produced, it would end up looking far different.

And, what do you mean remote?

It is really a "far from necessary" concept. Maybe if the entire 2600 chipset gets fully reverse engineered, and a system-on-a-chip gets produced, we can release a whole new console with S-video & HDMI out, Pause (on the controller), USB joystick ports and controllers with the Select, Reset, B/W and Power switches built in like shoulder buttons (so playing Space Shuttle would actually be feasible without crouching down 2 feet away from the TV).

Now that would be cool. But, I'm getting off topic!

Edited by Fangorn81

Never thought of it before, but is it possible to make an analog joystick for the 2600 using the same pins that paddles use?

It is. However, its probably not practical to use in a majority of games given the number of CPU cycles lost checking for X and Y movement on every video scan line.