IGNORED

Restoring Intellivision Carts and boxes

edintv

Hi, Everyone!

I become almost an expert in getting to work Intv carts, I ahve cleaned and put back to life like 500 Intellivision carts (mine, my friends, and any who get truogh my hands) and I´m proud to say that only 1% is not functioning (I still don´t give up on them!)

So, i dedicate dmy time on this, but I neglected the rest, the cart itself (the outside) and the box. Anyone has advices in how restore some of the old looks?

Thanks.

Keep in mind this is just general advice, it could be applied to almost any cartridge or box.

As long as the cartridge label is laminated and none of the paper is bare, it's safe to clean the entire surface of the cartridge with rubbing alcohol. Just wet a folded sheet of paper towel a few times and wipe away, this will get rid of dirt, disinfect the cartridge (you never know what these things were treated like) and bring back a bit of shine in most cases. With boxes (and un-laminated labels for that matter), you have to be a bit more careful as the rubbing alcohol can wipe away the color. Just don't rub hard and only do a few wipes, the box will be just fine then.

Keep in mind this is just general advice, it could be applied to almost any cartridge or box.

As long as the cartridge label is laminated and none of the paper is bare, it's safe to clean the entire surface of the cartridge with rubbing alcohol. Just wet a folded sheet of paper towel a few times and wipe away, this will get rid of dirt, disinfect the cartridge (you never know what these things were treated like) and bring back a bit of shine in most cases. With boxes (and un-laminated labels for that matter), you have to be a bit more careful as the rubbing alcohol can wipe away the color. Just don't rub hard and only do a few wipes, the box will be just fine then.

I think that the only Laminated boxes are from Imagic. What kind of alcohol you use? we only can get 2 tipes 60% Alcohol and 99% (Absolute), I guess i´ll go for the 99%, and what do tou use for applying? cotton balls?

Thanks for your advice...

forgive me for that sin...

Not sure of the ingredients because Goo-Gone does not list any on the label. They do not want competitors making knock-off products. The label touts "citrus power" so I will guess orange oil is a main ingredient.

Well i will squish some oranges and let you know how ended the games!:D:P

I guess some product are very similar (almost all the windows cleaner uses the same stuff), but in general the Transnationals who makes the products call them different, I guess (like procter and gamble), here the products has to had the chemical compound described, I think is the law.

Well, let me try different stuff with the common games first.

Also if someone knows how to improve a box that is going "soft" (is so bended that is loss the form).

I think that the only Laminated boxes are from Imagic. What kind of alcohol you use? we only can get 2 tipes 60% Alcohol and 99% (Absolute), I guess i´ll go for the 99%, and what do tou use for applying? cotton balls?

Thanks for your advice...

I tend to end up with between 60% and 80%. I've never noticed any discernible difference between them, mostly just between brands.

As for application, just take a sheet of paper towel, fold it up two times into a square (only applies to full sheets, not half ones), put the paper towel over the top of the alcohol bottle, then flip the bottle upside down then rightside up momentarily. Do this in a few spaces, then you can start cleaning. Hope this helps. :)

I would like tips for restoring faded/worn boxes. Does anyone have any tips?

There is no real way to restore sunfade. You would have to somehow put color back into the box. As for worn, how so do you mean? Tears? Warped or run down box surface? Tape is really the only thing I can suggest, but that looks unsightly. Though, if it's transparent tape, that might do ok, but IMO it lowers the resale value of the box in question, so use at your discretion.

EDIT: Come to think of it, for edges of the box that have the paper showing (or any part that has paper showing), some people have tried using marker to some success. Black Box NES games are the easiest, because you can just use a Sharpie (popular black marker, common enemy of cartridge collectors).

Edited by Koopa64
  • Like 1

I don't think the idea of using a marker to cover up wear on boxes is very widespread yet. I first heard about it on Nintendo Age. Somebody used a sharpie to pretty up a worn out Super Mario Bros. box (it's all black with a few white dots). It looked pretty good, but most likely not so right up close. I remember at least a few members advising to not do this sort of thing to resale items, but for your own collection. If you do sell, you have to tell people what you did to the box.

Goo-Gone and similar goo removing products use citric acid, be careful with that stuff and use SPARINGLY around printed labels, inks and the like!I wont use Goo-Gone on anything that is porous.That stuff is more powerful than most give credit for, believe me!I use heat from a hair blower to soften glue on price stickers, careful with that also, as you can burn label if heat left too long in one area.Some of the really old price stickers are deteriorated and dry and can't be removed without damaging label no matter what method, just gotta simply live with it in that case.Also...whatever cleaning agent you use, put the cleaner on RAG 1ST!, then apply on surface to be cleaned.

Edited by Rik