IGNORED

Bricked my Coleco?

psquare75

With some prodding from my old man, I attempted Ben Heck's A/V mod. Worked great for 20 minutes or so (wow, huge difference!) Now I have no sound, and the whole screen will seemingly random take on a tint of orange, or green.. as if I was viewing the screen through colored filter paper. I tried the RF out and ut oh, no sound, and the colors do that as well there! What the heck did I do?

With some prodding from my old man, I attempted Ben Heck's A/V mod. Worked great for 20 minutes or so (wow, huge difference!) Now I have no sound, and the whole screen will seemingly random take on a tint of orange, or green.. as if I was viewing the screen through colored filter paper. I tried the RF out and ut oh, no sound, and the colors do that as well there! What the heck did I do?

I'd try uninstalling everything, and cleaning up the solder points, to see if it still works with the RF output.

Then carefully install everything again, and see if there's any improvement. Regarding the colors, maybe try another TV, to see if it works better.

If you didn't already know, Ben Heck's mod also doesn't account for the Atari expansion module, as far as sound goes. I'd connect the audio like this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/163446-diy-modifications-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__2019142

Good luck,

5-11under

I'd try uninstalling everything, and cleaning up the solder points, to see if it still works with the RF output.

Then carefully install everything again, and see if there's any improvement. Regarding the colors, maybe try another TV, to see if it works better.

If you didn't already know, Ben Heck's mod also doesn't account for the Atari expansion module, as far as sound goes. I'd connect the audio like this: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/163446-diy-modifications-for-colecovision/page__view__findpost__p__2019142

Good luck,

5-11under

No Atari expansion module, I tried Venture and Carnival, which worked flawlessy before. Some informal testing this AM showed there was voltage out at the audio ports, but I did notice the sound chip gets pretty warm. I wonder if I fried the chip when I soldered directly to the pin. :ponder: I'll undo everything and see what I end up with. I'll post a video of the colors. Sometimes they tint, sometimes, they don't. It does it with the RF out, where it didn't do it before. I'll "Venture" into the unit again. :D

Edited by psquare75

Oh my. Well.. Tried the system when I stopped home on work break. Sound! Still funky coloring. Occasional rolling. I removed the mods. Still funky coloring.. then..... black. Now nothing. Garbled screens occasionally. icon_thumbsdown.gif

You sure the AC adapter didn't die? Check the voltages on the CV system with the power on to see if it's at the correct levels.