IGNORED

Foam in bottom of Activision Checkers. . . ?

Schmead55

Snagged a copy of Activision's Checkers the other day at a game . I noticed that in the bottom around the contacts that there is a foam piece instead of the "plastic" plate at the bottom. Will post a picture, i've just never seen this before and am wondering what the deal is. . .

Any feedback would be great, thanks.

0731001911.jpg

Checkers was one of the first four games released by Activision. Early Activision cartridges had foam inserts inside, presumably to help protect the circuit board from dust. They must have been a cheaper alternative to Atari's hinged plastic dust doors, but I don't think they were used for very long. I've got one or two Activision cartridges with foam inside, so while they're somewhat scarce, I don't think they're incredibly rare.

Dragster is the cartridge I have with foam in it. I don't remember what my second one was, but I think I took the foam out of it because it was falling apart. I'm sure Activision didn't expect that people would still be using these cartridges thirty years later because the foam doesn't age too well.

According to the giant list I have, here is the following:

Boxing has both black and white foam versions

Bridge has a white foam version

Checkers has both black and white foam versions

Dragster has both black and white foam versions

Fishing Derby has both black and white foam versions

Skiing has black foam version

Freeway has 4 teeth version but never had foam

Kaboom! has 4 teeth version but never had foam

Laser Blast has 4 teeth version but never had foam

Tennis has 4 teeth version but never had foam

Phil

Also, if you go to the photo site in my signature, you can check the "General Activision Variations" link and I explain this.

Edited by Philflound

Please age the foam beforehand...nothing ruins a good cart than foam that's too new looking.

How, exactly, would you intentionally age foam?

Perhaps soaking it in a bit of iced tea and letting it dry in the sun...it works well when wrapping old vases in white masking tape to give them an ancient feel. We did that in first grade - great fun!

Perhaps soaking it in a bit of iced tea and letting it dry in the sun...it works well when wrapping old vases in white masking tape to give them an ancient feel. We did that in first grade - great fun!

Does it have to be real brewed iced tea, or can we use instant? Some of us are too poor to buy real tea; that's why we're still playing Checkers on the 2600.

• Haha 1

Please age the foam beforehand...nothing ruins a good cart than foam that's too new looking.

How, exactly, would you intentionally age foam?

The stuff that he uses in the aquarium filters is white, but turns tan in less than a year naturally.

AX

Does it have to be real brewed iced tea, or can we use instant? Some of us are too poor to buy real tea; that's why we're still playing Checkers on the 2600.

Sorry I misspoke. Use actual tea, not iced tea. Any tea will do. This seems unnecessary since the foam turns yellow naturally in a year.

I'm a little upset at the fact that I found I owned a Fishing Derby white foam version. I plugged it into my 7800 and it wouldn't work. I've been cleaning my games with alcohol and qtips and in order to get to the contacts, I had to push the foam in a little. Well, part of it stayed indented. Grrr. But at least I got the game working.

Phil

I'm a little upset at the fact that I found I owned a Fishing Derby white foam version. I plugged it into my 7800 and it wouldn't work. I've been cleaning my games with alcohol and qtips and in order to get to the contacts, I had to push the foam in a little. Well, part of it stayed indented. Grrr. But at least I got the game working.

Phil

Damn memory foam!

• Haha 1

Based on the age of the foam and the increased likelyhood its deteriorated and could fall apart, is there a good reason to leave the old foam in the carts, or go ahead and remove them?

As a collector I'd play copies only if they are missing the foam. It isn't like these are hard to get for a dollar or two. I'd like to have the foam in the correct carts in my CIB plastic encased collection (not for play).

AX

• Like 1