IGNORED

Bad Dump ROMs Collection

A.J. Franzman

You'd also run into the problem of X number of variations existing in the Goodtools library, due to an inordinate number of WIP versions that basically should be ignored once a final release has been created.

Just like we all completely ignore WIP versions of old-era commercially released games, right? ;)

Thanks to Jeff, I now have V2, V3 and V4 of Rom's collection. Does anyone happen to have V1?

As I understand it, the Hacks & Homebrews collection (now V1.2b, sorted) also originated with R.H. Does anyone have V1.1, 1.0 or older of that collection?

I'm planning to generate some sort of history documents for these updates, including at the very least, files added and files deleted. I may also include files renamed (info changed or deleted) and files renamed (info added), as long as that doesn't involve every single file in an archive! :woozy:

Franzman, I also still have the first Hacks & Homebrews collection.

My Old Era V1.0 ROMs collection has been online for a year, so there's a good change someone still owns it.

Edit: Mitch, for example.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

I'm planning to generate some sort of history documents for these updates, including at the very least, files added and files deleted. I may also include files renamed (info changed or deleted) and files renamed (info added), as long as that doesn't involve every single file in an archive! :woozy:

I would stick to the .bins deleted / added / replaced for now.

That's more than enough work.

8)

You'd also run into the problem of X number of variations existing in the Goodtools library, due to an inordinate number of WIP versions that basically should be ignored once a final release has been created.

Just like we all completely ignore WIP versions of old-era commercially released games, right? ;)

Interesting point indeed.

And exactly the reason why I drew the line at 1992 and stopped archiving post 1992 ROMs.

There's no end to it.

8)

Really, Omega.

Does all the work of flagging all the bad and overdumped VCS ROMs on the internet weigh up to the confusion of a person who wants to know if a certain ROM that's not in the collection is bad or not?

Yes, really.

I don't think you understand, Rom. Not everyone uses your master rom set. A lot people have roms here, there, and from everywhere. It's nice to have Stella quickly tell if a version is a known bad dump

So that they can remove it from their collection and eventually end up with...

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

So that they can remove it from their collection and eventually end up with...

8)

Rom, I don't understand this post, and didn't you already quote my same post earlier?? :?

@Mitch or AJ, if one of you could be so kind to send me V1 of Rom's set I'd appreciate it too. I know I kept V2-V5 zipped up so I was always sure they were unaltered.

I think I have the V1 of ROMs' collection and possibly the Hacks and Homebrews collections as well. Send me a PM and I will check when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the RomsV1.zip link, Mitch! I see you BCC'ed it to someone else; I'm assuming that's Omega.

I'm still hoping to get a copy of H&H V1.0 .

Edited by A.J. Franzman

I'm still hoping to get a copy of H&H V1.0 .

Franzman,

I will make an upload link tomorrow and PM you.

Omega,

I'm just teasing you.

I understand your point (I already did the first time around), but for me it feels like walking backwards, while driven to go forwards.

Like I said, from V6.0 on (coming this Christmas and containing a Harmony Cart friendly originals ROM set besides the traditional one) I will keep track of the added / deleted / replaced ROMs (no filename changes, though).

8)

For anyone who wants them, here are my first round of history documents relating to Rom Hunter's collections V1 and V2.

Please let me know if you notice any errors or omissions. If there are many changes, or someone can come up with the individual reasons for most of the deletions, I'll post revised versions.

HistoryV1-V2.zip

All right, I think I got my procedural difficulties worked out. Here's the latest update to the history docs, now covering Rom Hunter's Collections V1 - V5.

What happened before is that I wasn't eliminating all of the right file names, so I was getting way too many entries in the "Added and "Deleted" docs. I first noticed the problem when I had the same three files at the end of the V3 Deleted and V4 Deleted lists. Hmm, how can the same files be deleted again? :ponder:

History + Info V1-V5.zip

You're welcome.

Thank you for your praise. However, even if I made no mistakes (unlikely), there's still lots of info missing: mainly, your reasons for file removal. Overdumps should be fairly obvious, but are we to assume that any deleted file which wasn't an overdump must be a bad dump? What about the one instance I found where a file's data changed but its name remained the same (a version of Pitfall in V1 -> V2)? Is it simply to be taken as understood that this must have been a replacement of a bad dump or corrupted file with a correct version?

Oh, another possibility I just thought of: some of the deleted files marked as "hack" may have been removed because they're more recent hacks by fans, rather than "Old Era" pirate hacks. Is that correct?

Oh, another possibility I just thought of: some of the deleted files marked as "hack" may have been removed because they're more recent hacks by fans, rather than "Old Era" pirate hacks. Is that correct?

Exactly.

As far as the deleting of ROMs goes: please check the 2600 ROM Comparisions and Dumps topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103737-2600-rom-comparisions-and-dumps/

No ROM was deleted from the collection without good reason.

BTW: V6 is now online:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/174076-rom-hunters-v6-old-era-collection-now-online/

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

• 1 month later...

Exactly.

As far as the deleting of ROMs goes: please check the 2600 ROM Comparisions and Dumps topic:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/103737-2600-rom-comparisions-and-dumps/

No ROM was deleted from the collection without good reason.

BTW: V6 is now online:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/174076-rom-hunters-v6-old-era-collection-now-online/

8)

Thanks for all your work on this!

I'd like to make one tiny tiny request. I use the files in conjunction with the Harmony cartridge and I like all the work you've done sorting them out. My 10 year old loves to play the games and I really feel nervous everytime I load it up hoping I got all the adult titles out of the batch. Could the Rom collection keep the adult files in a separate folder from the rest? That way, if someone doesn't want the adult titles in their cart, they could just delete the folder.

Of course, I could just delete the folders by company... Is Mystique the only company, or was there another in the Rom list?

Edited by keithbk

Adult game companies:

Cosmovision

Multivision

Mystique

PlayAround (sometimes seen typo'ed as "Playground", but not in Rom Hunter's collection)

Universal Gamex

Titles:

Bachelor Party

Bachelorette Party

Beat 'Em & Eat 'Em

Burning Desire

Custer's Revenge

General Re-Treat

Harem

Jungle Fever

Knight on the Town

Lady in Wading

Westward Ho!

X-Man

I may have missed one or two.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Cosmovision is not an adult game only company.

Keithbk,

If you remove these companies from my collection, it should be child friendly:

Multivision

Mystique

PlayAround (not present in the Harmony Cart ROM set)

Universal Gamex

Wizard Video Games

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter