IGNORED

Halo for the 2600 Released at CGE! Download the game here!

Albert

hey larry, welcome to atari age.

ever since nolan showed his presence here in Atari age, it's seems like all the rest are coming in now.

Which is GREAT and an honor to have the Old Legends floating about...but...they are a violent quarrelsome bunch!

I haven't seen Larry or Howard Warshaw attack anyone here but generally the legends show up with guns-a-blazin'!!

Wp

To Ed Fries:

You said that you made Master Chief and an Elite on a whim and ended up making a full game. Did you ever consider tossing out the Halo characters for original content to avoid any legal issues? What alternatives would you have used if Halo was out of the question?

You did read the thread right?

This applies for Halo 2600, and I couldn't agree more. It's one thing for Ed to make himself a little pseudo-Halo game for giggles, but to actually release it to the public is not OK, and actually charging $$ crosses the line big time. :thumbsdown:

No it doesn't. Apart from Ed being the former Microsoft game department guy, etc, etc, this article you quoted applies to games that were ripped off 100%, like all those versions of Galaga or Space Invaders, where only the name, colors or some sprites had been changed. This game is an original piece of art whatever the deal is with the game it was inspired from. It's a completely different thing and it has been created from scratch, not copied.

• Like 1

No it doesn't. Apart from Ed being the former Microsoft game department guy, etc, etc, this article you quoted applies to games that were ripped off 100%, like all those versions of Galaga or Space Invaders, where only the name, colors or some sprites had been changed. This game is an original piece of art whatever the deal is with the game it was inspired from. It's a completely different thing and it has been created from scratch, not copied.

The whole issue of whether Halo 2600 is an officially sanctioned project or not was brought up and resolved several pages ago. If you're reading a thread chronologically, you should read ahead a little when you find something you want to respond to, just in case somebody else has already answered your questions or said what you want to say. It just cuts down on the repetition.

• Like 1

This game is an original piece of art whatever the deal is with the game it was inspired from. It's a completely different thing and it has been created from scratch, not copied.

In this regard, I'm not sure the extent to which the game might be regarded as a derivative work, but probably the more significant issue is copyright, given that Halo ® et al are registered trademarks. Sometimes companies are very permissive when it comes to fan-produced work and other times they are much less so (thinking here specifically of Disney and Fox). The issue isn't necessarily the small potatoes (relative to the original intellectual property) of the sale of the homebrew but that the lack of enforcement of the trademark can be viewed as a tacit acquiescence of the rights of the property holder (at least as I understand copyright law and I am admittedly not a lawyer - although I am using the terms "derivative work", "copyright", "registered trademark", and "acquiescence" hopefully correctly in regard to their particular legal definitions - Cebus might speak more correctly to this). The dissemination of information about the existence of the game around the internet might bring it both positive and negative attention. I honestly have no investment in this issue either way, but I am interested in it from a media perspective (and as a fan of all things Atari).

To Ed Fries:

You said that you made Master Chief and an Elite on a whim and ended up making a full game. Did you ever consider tossing out the Halo characters for original content to avoid any legal issues? What alternatives would you have used if Halo was out of the question?

It's pretty obvious from my question that I did since I referenced his post in mine.

I agree. 2010 is turning out to be a happening year for classic gaming, against all odds. I was thinking maybe the steam was finally starting to let out as we get older and deal with life issues. Maybe it's just me turning 40...

I'm glad to see Larry Kaplan here. Unlike most of the rest in Stella at 20, he didn't appear for any interviews or conventions afterwards that I'm aware of. He has a truly unique slant on the industry and life in general. I remember him saying something along the lines that you should be able to do a perfectly good game for the 2600 in 2K, and anything over that is excessive. And for him, that might be true, considering Kaboom. True hardcore minimalism.

To Ed Fries:

It's pretty obvious from my question that I did since I referenced his post in mine.

Well considering that the IP holders were well aware of what he wanted to do and the fact that you, apparently, already knew this. Maybe you should have rephrased your question in a different way. Since it implies that he was deliberately ignoring the legal issues.

Nice game! Good work!

Is it possible that there is a bug left in the game?

I went to the room with the second gun and shot the aliens in that room. One alien dropped a shield. So the room contained the gun upgrade and the shield. I collected the shield first and... lost a life and was returned to a room before.

Best regards,

Simon

OK to convert for unmodded Superchargers? Just the repositioning routine needs to be moved off the triggers.

has anybody been able to make it work on a supercharger

i load it up and if just sits at the title and only plays the music when i press the fire button

I don't think it'll work on an unmodified supercharger. The game uses the whole 4K to the last bit, so $FFF8/$FFF9 are occupied.

Regardless of how tightly-packed a program may be, there are ALWAYS bytes to be saved ;)

Edited by Nukey Shay

One thing - anybody else think this thing could have benefited from a scoring system?

No.

Every other 2600 game is about shooting things for high score. HALO is about defeating the enemy. HALO is about victory. I like that HALO is different.

Thank you Ed for giving us a wonderful new game :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 3