IGNORED

lynx on tv

skippy

Wizztronics was supposed to release a devise to play the Lynx on the TV but it was never released. I don't know if a prototype was even made.

They had a prototype for sale for about $800. If that price was still the case, it would not be a bad price being it would be the only one.

From what I've heard, back in the day, Atari paid $10k for 5 (10?) 'Black Boxes'

to be made that perform this Lynx to TV task -- As The_Laird said, they were

used for game demonstration and review purposes. And as I understand it,

Atari was very stingy about loaning them out, and were quick at requesting

them back if you fell into disfavor with Atari. I remember several magazines

refusing to do a proper review of lynx games, or bad-mouthing Atari, after

they had their 'Black Box' revoked. I bought one from B & C, back in 2003. At

the time, Bruce had sold at least one other one, and had another he said he

was keeping for himself; Not sure if he ended up selling it. No idea where the

other ones ended up going to. Incredible item, shame it wasn't commercialized.

Edited by Nimtene
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but this was the newest one on the subject that I could find here.

Anyways, I remember not long after getting my first Lynx that they were working on a television adapter for the it. I waited for news for years and never saw or read anything else. I was hoping that this had been produced but every internet search appears to be a dead end. Were there ever any other than the demo units mentioned in this thread?

I did find the plans for (apparently) the demo unit in one of my internet searches. Has anyone ever tried building one?

I had thought back in the day that if a television adapter was available, the Lynx could have competed with the NES, TG-16, and Genesis for the home console market. Not only did it have comparable graphics capabilities but it also would have been the only console that was also portable.

I had thought back in the day that if a television adapter was available, the Lynx could have competed with the NES, TG-16, and Genesis for the home console market. Not only did it have comparable graphics capabilities but it also would have been the only console that was also portable.

Damn straight! I never knew there was any way at all to do TV. Looking at Nimtenes screenshot makes me cry a little for the possibilities...

But that is also why I like Lynx and Jaguar. They are flawed and unfinished (especially the Jag), much like myself :D

I love the Lynx, but a TV adaptor wouldnot have made it serious competition to the Genesis or TG-16 as a home console. As spectacular as Lynx games can look on the small screen, on TV it is very obvious that it can´t keep up with the other systems in some core aspects; one being the resolution, which is just very low on Lynx, even lower than the res of the original GameBoy. The other issue is that it only displays 16 colors on screen.

This would have looked very outdated by 1989, when Lynx, Genesis and TG-16 were released.

I do play Lynx on TV btw; thanks to the original Xbox. I have the mednafen Lynx-emulator for it and it lets me play most Lynx games on TV flawlessly. :)

I don't know, the videos I have seen of the Lynx displayed with the demo adapter and it looks good. I would have thought it would look heavily pixelated but it doesn't. It looks good for games of that era in my opinion. But it doesn't really matter, the real problem was the business politics of getting third-party developers. That's why more games were made for Gameboy than for Lynx anyways.

If a program can be written to emulate the chips inside the Lynx, why couldn't a program be written to emulate the chips inside the demo adapter? You wouldn't need to build an expensive machine, just some kind of adapter to hook a Lynx up to a computer that runs the emulator program.

The plans for building the adapter look like they are beyond my skill level. I'll ask my Pop next holiday what he thinks, though.

If a program can be written to emulate the chips inside the Lynx, why couldn't a program be written to emulate the chips inside the demo adapter? You wouldn't need to build an expensive machine, just some kind of adapter to hook a Lynx up to a computer that runs the emulator program.

An adapter to convert the Lynx video signal to something that can be read by a PC (e.g. USB interface), is not a simple thing. If you want to make something like that, I think it is only a little step extra to make the adapter output a standard video signal instead of writing it to a PC.

Modern FGPA should be fast enough to sample the LCD signals and convert it to RGB or even HDMI.

Robert

Well, I wasn't thinking of converting the signal to be read by a PC. I was thinking the PC would run software that emulates the hardware that Atari used to convert the signal to a television, bypassing the need to build the hardware. I apologize if I've oversimplified this but I've only known that software that emulates hardware even existed for about two seconds. And the plans I found on the internet for the hardware are more complicated than something that I could build.

If you're saying a FPGA could do the job, that's great! But I have no idea how to program one to do that. I'd even just be guessing where to connect it to the Lynx's circuit board. I'd love to learn, though.