IGNORED

Atari Flashback Portable?

Does anyone know when Atari is going to release the Atari Flashback Portable system?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/27/a-peak-at-the-atari-flashback-portable-prototype

I only ask because this news came out in 2007/2008 and since then Atari made the Atari Flashback 2+ system, but I really would like to buy the Flashback Portable so I can download the games I want to play on it.

Does anyone know when Atari is going to release the Atari Flashback Portable system?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/27/a-peak-at-the-atari-flashback-portable-prototype

I only ask because this news came out in 2007/2008 and since then Atari made the Atari Flashback 2+ system, but I really would like to buy the Flashback Portable so I can download the games I want to play on it.

Atari didn't make those we (Legacy Engineering) did, and released them through Atari. We still have it sitting here waiting to go along with several other products we've proposed to them. It's entirely up to Atari whether they want to go through with releasing any of them, we're still game. Your best bet is to contact them directly stating that you'd like to see it.

You also might try do a search of these forums, as it's been pretty well talked about already.

Thanks for the info, and I will contact Atari about this. As for searching the forums, I did and could not find any news on this since it's very old news, so I thought it would be O.K. to make a post asking about it. But now I have a new question, I have seen the cool USB Atari Joysticks that you guys sell on your web page and I was wondering why you don't just sell the Atari Flashback Portable on your own? I only ask becasue I have seen countless NES/SNES/Genesis clone systems being sold everywhere and I was wondering why nobody has done the same thing with the Atrai 2600 system.

At this point, it would be a better spending of effort just to get a Dingoo or GP32 & play Atari games on that. There, done. It beats hoping & wishing for a Flashback Portable which might not ever materialize.

O.K., thanks for telling me about the Dingoo & GP32, I might just get one of them instead. But I was hoping to get the Atari Flashback Portable since it looks cool.

• Like 1

Project is dead unless someone wants to pony up the cash to help bring it to market. I may make a few custom ones for people later this year (ala Ben Heck type low volume, custom built) but official production units just aren't going to happen, there just isn't the needed support from Atari to make this a reality, sorry guys.

At this point, it would be a better spending of effort just to get a Dingoo or GP32 & play Atari games on that. There, done. It beats hoping & wishing for a Flashback Portable which might not ever materialize.

O.K., thanks for telling me about the Dingoo & GP32, I might just get one of them instead. But I was hoping to get the Atari Flashback Portable since it looks cool.

As much as I would love big 80s hair on chicks to come back, Triumph to re-form & make automobiles again, arcades becoming mainstream again, the past is the past. And right now, if you were to take a poll of all people & companies interested in seeing such a flashback coming back, Atari would say 'no', or they wouldn't even respond("Sorry, Atari's in a meeting right now. Can I leave a message?").

With consoles like the Pandora, GP & the Dingoo, they beat any hopes of any official "some piece of hardware with Atari's logo stamped on it" by a long shot. The Atari Flashback 2 was that brief night of fun you had with that beautiful woman from Paris you just happened to run into that one night. Subsequently trying to call her for a relationship or to go see Inception with you will result in just getting voicemail & disappointment.

• Like 2

With consoles like the Pandora, GP & the Dingoo, they beat any hopes of any official "some piece of hardware with Atari's logo stamped on it" by a long shot.

Agreed. I would have bought a portable 2600 just to support Legacy Engineering, but really with the handhelds that you mentioned as well as the PSP, who really needs a dedicated 2600 handheld. Sure it would be nice, but there are better options.

My oldest son disregarded his GBA SP after recently getting the DSi XL. I found the 50 game Activision Anthology cart for GBA at Gamestop for $2.99 and a Namco Museum cart for $3.99, and now I'm carrying around the GBA SP playing the old acrade/Atari console games (for cheap!)

Now that I just found out Atari is releasing a DSi cart of old 2600console/arcade games, I'm thinking of picking up a refurb DS that plays both. Unforunately, that seems the only viable way the old 2600 stuff will exist on portables. With an FB 2, 3 Plug 'n Plays, and various old school game disc collections for Wii, PS2 and PS3 all being activiely used in my possession - even I'm a bit hard pressed to justify the purchase of a new standalone portable console just for 2600 roms/carts.

Now if Legacy or Atariage would publish homebrew/licensed roms on carts for existing portables? (Yeah, yeah I know the cost and fees involved... it's just a dream!)

Now that I just found out Atari is releasing a DSi cart of old 2600console/arcade games...

Do you have a link?

I tried searching, but all I found was info on Atari Retro Classics, which has been out for a while.

Not that I'm very hopeful though...most of the Atari collections released lately haven't been very good =/

I did see that the Intellevision Lives! DS game is finally coming out, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Project is dead unless someone wants to pony up the cash to help bring it to market. I may make a few custom ones for people later this year (ala Ben Heck type low volume, custom built) but official production units just aren't going to happen, there just isn't the needed support from Atari to make this a reality, sorry guys.

Have you considered making custom built units for anyone who wants to preorder and pay up front?

• 2 weeks later...

As much as I love anything with the Atari logo on it, I still recommend a GP2X Wiz, Caanoo, Dingoo, or Pandora. It just does more a lot more...

Unless you just want 2600 on the go, and NOTHING ELSE, then get one of those.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I still live in hope that there will be an Atari 2600/7800 portable.

Compilations and handheld emulators are OK, though I find the idea of using a genuine Atari product with a huge library of legally available games far more attractive than buying a compilation cartridge or an expensive emulator using illegal software.

I think the general public would feel the same way. A lot of people still have fond memories of Atari, while the simplicity of the products makes them particularly appealing to families with young children. I doubt that many members of the public would be attracted to handheld emulators in quite the same way, in fact, many stores wouldn't even sell a product that relied on illegally downloaded software.

Genuine hardware has much more appeal both to retro gaming fans and collectors. It's fun, it's cool and the games could be sold as cheap as chips :)

Edited by Math You
  • Like 2

I still live in hope that there will be an Atari 2600/7800 portable.

Compilations and handheld emulators are OK, though I find the idea of using a genuine Atari product with a huge library of legally available games far more attractive than buying a compilation cartridge or an expensive emulator using illegal software.

I think the general public would feel the same way. A lot of people still have fond memories of Atari, while the simplicity of the products makes them particularly appealing to families with young children. I doubt that many members of the public would be attracted to handheld emulators in quite the same way, in fact, many stores wouldn't even sell a product that relied on illegally downloaded software.

Genuine hardware has much more appeal both to retro gaming fans and collectors. It's fun, it's cool and the games could be sold as cheap as chips :)

Agreed 100%.

• 4 weeks later...

That's unfortunate that Atari doesn't want to do this. But have you considered doing something like what the industrial design firm Minimal did for their iPod watch project on Kickstarter? That might be a way to gauge actual financial interest and raise funds -- the project could also potentially find a wider audience.

• 3 weeks later...

That's unfortunate that Atari doesn't want to do this. But have you considered doing something like what the industrial design firm Minimal did for their iPod watch project on Kickstarter? That might be a way to gauge actual financial interest and raise funds -- the project could also potentially find a wider audience.

Thats a really good idea. I like how you can customize your package depending on how much you donate. It would probably be much easier to find multiple people donating what they can to support this portable Atari than one person with big pockets to get this done.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a really good idea. I like how you can customize your package depending on how much you donate. It would probably be much easier to find multiple people donating what they can to support this portable Atari than one person with big pockets to get this done.

Was still wondering what Marty and Curt thought about potentially using Kickstarter to try doing this project.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Tim,

Looking into the possibilities of such an idea, thanks for the link.

Curt

Was still wondering what Marty and Curt thought about potentially using Kickstarter to try doing this project.

• Like 1

No problem, Curt!

I think Kickstarter might be a great, lower-risk way to fund such an awesome concept you have.

:)

Hi Tim,

Curt

Hi Tim,

Curt

This is the biggest and best Flashback news we have recieved in a long time. Crossing my fingers on this one. I think that this solution would take away the unfortunate finacial messiness that happened with the XM since the project would be payed for ahead of time. Also, people with a bit bigger pockets than others could contribute more and get more goodies out of it and really move the project along if need be. Its a win/win for all involved, and if a project doesn't get launched, theres only us fans to blame.