IGNORED

Discovering the Commodore 64

Picked up two C1702 monitors off Craiglist last week.

Haul included a boxed C64 and 1541 disk drive. This is the first 64 I have owned, so I am having some fun discovering what it can do, but also some frustration.

Sure, I remember the C64 when it was the hot machine, lots of friends had them. I remember playing games like Elite, Entombed, Dambusters and Thing on a Spring.

Now when I try to find those games to download, I am finding they are almost all PAL-only (this is an NTSC machine), or they come in T64 format.

I have a VIC-20 and I have Jim Brain's uIEC device, I am familiar with D64 and PRG files, but how I get a T64 file to load on a real 64?

Are most 64 games PAL-only? Where is the "fandal" or "atarimania" site for the 64?

I can't recall that many games being PAL only. But sometimes it could be a simple case of them having a "Cracktro" which crashes on NTSC hardware.

For sure, the fact that many games are only uploaded as tape images is a pain. Not sure what can be done there, fairly sure you can't just LOAD then SAVE it to a disk image.

There should be utilities around similar to CAS2WAV for the A8 that put a T64 image into an audio file that you can record to tape... but IMO anyone that tolerates cassette loading times must have some sort of masochistic streak.

unless you had one of those high speed disk loaders for the c64 (like the one's that came with action replay/expert cart etc), loading a disk game on a c64 is likened to loading a cassette game on an A8, and loading a disk game on an atari is likened to loading a cassette game on the c64 (as most c64 tape games came with turbo loaders)

Sure, I remember the C64 when it was the hot machine, lots of friends had them. I remember playing games like Elite, Entombed, Dambusters and Thing on a Spring. Now when I try to find those games to download, I am finding they are almost all PAL-only (this is an NTSC machine), or they come in T64 format.

Try looking at www.gamebase64.com. They usually list PAL/NTSC. Let me know via PM if you still can't find working versions. A good general tip is to try them on WinVICE first with NTSC emulation on and drive emulation off. That should give you a good idea whether they'll work on your NTSC machine with uIEC.

I have a VIC-20 and I have Jim Brain's uIEC device, I am familiar with D64 and PRG files, but how I get a T64 file to load on a real 64? Are most 64 games PAL-only?

Google DirMaster. It's an easy-to-use C64 file editor, and it will let you extract PRG files from T64s. Then you can use those on the uIEC.

unless you had one of those high speed disk loaders for the c64 (like the one's that came with action replay/expert cart etc), loading a disk game on a c64 is likened to loading a cassette game on an A8,...

...or if the disk game itself has a fastloader. However, most disk-based fastloaders won't work with the uIEC.