IGNORED

diagnosis of poor video quality

satan165

post-6551-128089535902_thumb.jpg

i am running a clean, decent quality composite cable with a gold plated coax to female RCA connector on the end, straight into the TV

at one point the console had the composite mod installed but i later removed it.

Edited by satan165

i am running a clean, decent quality composite cable with a gold plated coax to female RCA connector on the end, straight into the TV

at one point the console had the composite mod installed but i later removed it.

Was the video this bad before installing that mod?

Was the video this bad before installing that mod?

its been a while but im 99% sure that no, it was normal

the mod worked fine for years then stopped, i went crazy trying to figure out why so i just removed it completely. as it turns out it was a flaky connection in one of the cables/connectors so i blew it, had nothing to do with the actual board

You can try cleaning the RF connector inside the atari. Most of the time this is all corroded and eats video quality.

opened it up and inspected the connector. didnt see anything but scrubbed at it with a qtip and some WD40 to no avail

any other ideas (besides throw it in the bin)?

I hope that by "composite cable", you actually meant "coaxial RF cable".

Double-check that your reversal of the mod was complete and correct. I hope the console still has its shielding -- leaving it off can give a picture similar to that.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Heh, WD-40 for cleaning. lol

Hey, guys, my car stopped working. I know, I'll pour some pudding on it. That should fix it!

:D ;)

-tet

ah yes, a nasty comment loosely disguised as joking

despite your objections to WD-40 it would serve the purpose to at least temporarily break up corrosion and increase conductivity, either of which might (again temporarily) solve the problem enough to create a concrete diagnosis

but most importantly it serves far better to incite you enough to point your finger and feel very mighty. and who says WD-40 doesn't have 1000 uses?

I hope that by "composite cable", you actually meant "coaxial RF cable".

no i did not. i do not have the original atari cable or switch box so i substituted a regular piece of 'RCA cable' (its actually one of the peel apart cables that comcast provides for connection between cable box/tv). i'm guessing the shielding is different and not sufficient?

as for shielding inside the unit it does not appear to have any, nor did it ever. ive seen the shielding inside a full size 2600 so i know what im looking for. ill see if i can find information on both of your recommendations and ways i can correct them, thanks.

Edited by satan165

That cable won't do at all; it's probably unshielded, or at best shielded minimally for audio use. You need a real shielded RF cable. That's got to be the source of most of your picture trouble.

2600 "Junior" consoles did indeed have shielding inside, of thin sheet metal construction similar to what's in the 4-switchers, but differently shaped. You should be able to see the slots in the circuit board, through which the tabs would hold the top and bottom parts of the shielding together. Juniors also have a smaller section of shielding that is semi-separate from the main shielding, instead of the chunky little "box" that 4- and 6-switchers have for the RF modulator.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Heh, WD-40 for cleaning. lol

Hey, guys, my car stopped working. I know, I'll pour some pudding on it. That should fix it!

:D ;)

-tet

ah yes, a nasty comment loosely disguised as joking ...

Umm, well, no, it was me having a little fun at your expense, instead of boring the boots off everyone by going on about the not-recommended uses of WD-40. And I thought the joke was funny. And it wasn't a disguise, because my original comment wouldn't have been nasty. So I think you're wrong, there.

...despite your objections to WD-40 it would serve the purpose to at least temporarily break up corrosion and increase conductivity, either of which might (again temporarily) solve the problem enough to create a concrete diagnosis...

Well, break up corrosion, maybe. One of its advertised uses is "Cleans."

But increase conductivity? I doubt it. Being a petroleum product, any significant layer on the surface of an electrical contact can only hinder conductivity. If you clean it off real good after using it, maybe its effect on conductivity would be neutralized.

-tet