IGNORED

1200xl "dead AS IS" computer LIVES!

STeSearcher

The 1200xl case I got today still has the motherboard in it. Since it was cheap and AS IS, I was happy to get just the case and keyboard. But much to my amazement, it has a Rev A motherboard in it and I am playing Frogger on it now!! $30!!!

The keyboard is not so smurfy. When I turn it on with no cartridge, it burps the blue screen and then I get the rainbow Atari logo. What key brings up the self test???? (I know there is no BASIC in it)

I have removed the RF shields and have looked the keyboard over and it *seems* fine, but obviously there is something amiss. Any suggestions on reviving the keyboard?? Will an 800XL keyboard fit?? I know the function keys won't work but it would be nice to know if there is a MB problem or just a zapped keyboard.

It's been probably 4 years since I had my Atari stuff out. So I am a bit rusty on the ins and outs. My nice minty 1200 is still in the box in storage. :(

Nice score... there's a few threads around re fixing XL keyboards.

IIRC, press HELP during powerup to bring the Self-Test up.

Yeah, I made my peace with the search function and finally found the sticky at the top of the section (oops) and immediately took the keyboard apart. I had found that if I pressed really hard on the keys, I could make them work. The self test comes back good on everything except the keys.

I see that the keyboard fix topic mentions "Goof Off", I have "Goo Gone" isn't that mostly the same thing??

I worked on removing the mylar briefly but the white plastic film wanted to come off so I stopped for tonight. I guess I just have to work it off of there as best as I can.

:)

This problem appears to affect all 1200XL keyboards if not used regularly. Corrosion/oxidation builds up on the contacts which causes the keys to stop working unless it it removed.

This thread has links to cleaning/repair procedures

The 1200xl case I got today still has the motherboard in it. Since it was cheap and AS IS, I was happy to get just the case and keyboard. But much to my amazement, it has a Rev A motherboard in it and I am playing Frogger on it now!! $30!!!

The keyboard is not so smurfy. When I turn it on with no cartridge, it burps the blue screen and then I get the rainbow Atari logo. What key brings up the self test???? (I know there is no BASIC in it)

I have removed the RF shields and have looked the keyboard over and it *seems* fine, but obviously there is something amiss. Any suggestions on reviving the keyboard?? Will an 800XL keyboard fit?? I know the function keys won't work but it would be nice to know if there is a MB problem or just a zapped keyboard.

It's been probably 4 years since I had my Atari stuff out. So I am a bit rusty on the ins and outs. My nice minty 1200 is still in the box in storage. :(