IGNORED

Feeding Frenzy lawsuit? The Shark Shark rip off

Rev

Did you guys ever play this Shark Shark rip off game on Xbox live Arcade? It's a good game but it looks like it is Shark Shark 2.

This was just posted on the intv facebook:

Brian Johnston What's the deal with Shark! Shark! and Feeding Frenzy on XBLA? If I were Don Daglow, I'd want a royalty of some kind or I'd sue!

Intellivision :Thanks for the heads up. We did a little research and found an interview online where the "creator" of Feeding Frenzy even admits that it's based on Shark! Shark! Next stop: the legal department.

Edited by revolutionika

There's no law against taking inspiration from another game, so blatant or not, I don't see a case there. It's not like they called the game "Shark! Shark!" or even some variant thereof, nor did they exactly duplicate the gameplay or any other specific element.

And yeah, I'm with "cparsley" on this one, this game has been around and played by people like me who also have the Intellivision game since its initial release on XBLA many moons ago. If it really was an issue, it would have been brought up shortly after its release, particularly since it and its sequel are among the popular titles on the platform.

But the ports that have shown up here in the homebrews are okay? What's the difference?

There are so many games that I haven't played or even seen a screenshot of. I'm pretty sure anything I'll make in the future has been done before by somebody. I don't see how anything gets made without somebody trying to sue you.