IGNORED

A "What's a good EMU for XXXX" thread

HuckleCat

If you can drag & drop the roms on to mednafen and run them, you should also be able to associate them with mednafen. That should get you going in one click. :)

And yeah, I'm on Linux. I forget how bad the command line environment on Windows is. I can see how people would get the mistaken impression that the GUI is easier to use than a CLI.

What emu sources does Mednafen use for PCE/TG-16 and PC-FX? I have been using Magic Engine for those, but since it's not a free emu I don't want to recommend it. Over the next week I'll be trying out others to see which are the better ones, as well as dipping into N64 emulation again and see where that is at.

Do you use other emus for Linux? You should make a thread like this for Linux users. I've been thinking of making a Mac version of this thread. My wife has one of the newer Macbook Pros, which is what I'd be using for testing there.

There's a lot of good emulator info at emuwiki.com, including emulators that run on Mac, Linux, consoles, handhelds, etc.

Awesome site, this helps out alot. Now I just have to sift through them to find the ones worth getting....

Nintendo 64 - Both 1964 and Project 64 work pretty good. (Though the latest version of Project 64 is for those who register.) You'll need a decent machine to run them well though. The other thing about N64 emus is the need/use for other better graphics plugins, if you feel the need to try one due to the ones coming with the other emus being insufficient, try Glide64.

http://code.google.com/p/emu-1964/

http://www.pj64-emu.com/

http://glide64.emuxhaven.net/

I just tried the Vic20 part of MESS to load up a game cartridge. It didn't work. VICE worked. What does MESS actually emulate? I'm getting skeptical at this point.

I've tried MESS in the past for the Intellivision and the Apple 2, and had less than good luck with either. I don't know anybody who has used MESS and been happy with it, and have never really heard of anybody recommending it. I'm actually curious myself if there's any system MESS emulates well.

Hey guys. Is there a PSP emulator out there?

The ones that are the furthest along (that I know of) are Jpcsp and Pcsp. Both supposedly can run some commercial games. I haven't tried either of them, but I hear that Jpcsp is a little better. Both are actively worked on.

http://code.google.com/p/jpcsp/

http://www.pcsp-emu.com/news.php

Sega Master System - Kega Fusion. See Genesis, above.

I've actually been having a problem with certain Master System games (like Wonder Boy in Monster Land) in Kega Fusion, where it seems like it replaces the normal 8-bit sounds with the Genesis' instruments, and I can't find any way to disable this. Gens Plus!, on the other hand, uses the classic Master System audio, so I use that. It hasn't been updated since 2008 however, and Kega is probably faster and more accurate other then that one issue.

I've actually been having a problem with certain Master System games (like Wonder Boy in Monster Land) in Kega Fusion, where it seems like it replaces the normal 8-bit sounds with the Genesis' instruments, and I can't find any way to disable this.

I can't use Kega Fusion (I'm on a PPC Mac), but I assume what's happening is that the code for FM synth playback on Wonder Boy in Monster Land is being triggered. In the prefs for Kega Fusion, there should be some option to turn off FM synthesis or FM autodetection; once that's done, it'll go back to the usual SMS sounds.

BTW the FM synthesis module was only avaiable in Japan, but bizarrely, there are tons of US-only games that are capable of using it. There's a whole bunch of stuff about this over at SMSPower, including some new hardware to add FM synthesis to the US SMS. Ironically, you're being bothered by a feature that people have gone to great lengths to implement! :)

Edited by thegoldenband

I've actually been having a problem with certain Master System games (like Wonder Boy in Monster Land) in Kega Fusion, where it seems like it replaces the normal 8-bit sounds with the Genesis' instruments, and I can't find any way to disable this.

I can't use Kega Fusion (I'm on a PPC Mac), but I assume what's happening is that the code for FM synth playback on Wonder Boy in Monster Land is being triggered. In the prefs for Kega Fusion, there should be some option to turn off FM synthesis or FM autodetection; once that's done, it'll go back to the usual SMS sounds.

BTW the FM synthesis module was only avaiable in Japan, but bizarrely, there are tons of US-only games that are capable of using it. There's a whole bunch of stuff about this over at SMSPower, including some new hardware to add FM synthesis to the US SMS. Ironically, you're being bothered by a feature that people have gone to great lengths to implement! :)

That's good to know actually, my main issue with this effect on Wonderboy is that the sound seems somewhat muted in comparison to the 8-bit, which used to be a problem when I was stuck with cheap headphones (now I have nice speakers). But there's still a lot of SMS games I haven't played yet, and I could see a lack of this synthesis hurting the experience of the games (like going from FDS to NES.)

Edited by Mario Bros.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been around for a bit, mainly due to real-life stuffs, Halo: Reach, and an addiction to Minecraft. So...

PC Engine/TurboGrafix/TurboDuo: (Update) Ootake and PCEjin are both really good. PCEjin is based on the source from Mednafen, and Ootake is a newer one. Both are actively worked on and are free, unlike Magic Engine.

http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/

http://www.emucr.com/2010/08/pcejin-svn-r149.html

I have also considered trying out MESS more, and finding out what it emulates well, and what it does not. This will probably take awhile, as it emulates quite a few different systems. I'm not sure when I'll get around to this though - Minecraft has really taken up any free time I have lately.

• 2 months later...

After being gone for awhile, and being all into Minecraft, then older games I never got around to, and then Need for Speed 58, I played MESS here and there. I tried different systems for it, the Game Boy/GBA, NES, Apple 2 and C64, SNES, TG 16, and Genesis, I have come to one final conclusion.

MESS is a mess.

I mean, some things will be "ok", while others have a way to go. It means well, and it is a cool idea to have all your emus in one place, but any system it emulates is better emulated elsewhere, by a system specific emu.

So yeah. There you have it. I'm sure that after more time passes MESS will eventually get to be a good all-in-one solution, It's just not there yet.

I just tried the Vic20 part of MESS to load up a game cartridge. It didn't work. VICE worked. What does MESS actually emulate? I'm getting skeptical at this point.

MESS is the only emulator that supports the Fairchild Channel F, so it's at least good for that.

Another one to add to the list:

RCA Studio II - STEM.

Edited by Impaler_26

• 1 month later...
Are there any good emulators that emulate the TI-99?

I use MESS, it does quite a nice job for the TI99. It doesn't require any static configs or special packaging of files, has nice speech support and fully scalable/filtered graphics. :)

Thanks, i'll have to look into that. :)

I've been playing around with the emulator Classic99 and i can't figure out how to load any of the games i DL'd.

But it plays the 16 games that are built in just fine.

Edited by roadrunner

• 4 months later...

I really don't know. I've never used a Spectrum or Sinclair, but here's a few emus for those systems that are actively worked on:

CPCE: Amstrad CPC emu -

http://cngsoft.no-ip.org/cpce/index.htm

DSP Emulator: ZX SPECTRUM +3, ZX Spectrum 128, ZX Spectrum 48, Arcade, Amstrad CPC 464, NES and Game Boy -

http://code.google.com/p/dsp-emulator/

I hope these work out for you. I have not tried them out, so I'm not sure how good they are. Let me know, I can look around for others too.

^^^ Thanks for the info. :) :thumbsup:

For the Amstrad, i tried out the emulators Arnold and WinApe but they both crashed.

For the Spectrum, i got SpecEmu and ZXspin 0.7 to play a bunch of games.

But i can't figure out how to use a gamepad.

I'm using the keyboard for now.

I was just looking to see if there's anything else worth checking out. :)

I couldn't get CPCE to work. It keeps saying there's a rom missing.

I have the bios for it but i still can't get anything to load.

and the other emulator DSP it doesn't start. I get message there is a .dll missing. :(

Edited by roadrunner

When using Windows (which is fewer times than ever now) I didn' have any problems with Winape as for Spectrum emulation I've always found fuse to be the less trouble free (at lease for me!)

fuse

Barnie

^^^ Thanks for the info. :) :thumbsup:

For the Amstrad, i tried out the emulators Arnold and WinApe but they both crashed.

For the Spectrum, i got SpecEmu and ZXspin 0.7 to play a bunch of games.

But i can't figure out how to use a gamepad.

I'm using the keyboard for now.

I was just looking to see if there's anything else worth checking out. :)

I couldn't get CPCE to work. It keeps saying there's a rom missing.

I have the bios for it but i still can't get anything to load.

and the other emulator DSP it doesn't start. I get message there is a .dll missing. :(