IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

BYTE Vol 03-09 1978-09 Graphic Manipulations - 212 Pages 130,384,572 bytes

BYTE Vol 03-09 from September 1978... Oh this issue is worth it just for the coverage of the NCC 2978 Computer show.. Great photos of graphics with UCSD pascal, Exidy's generating color graphics, Compucolor 3, a micro mouse running a maze, RCA Cosmac graphics expansion, and a voice controlled music synthesizer.

Several articles on the math behind computer graphics... Clearly they did not learn the way student today do - just drag the circle icon into your code window the click on the parameters.. sheesh! Not so hard! :)

Foreground

A " TINY" PASCAL COMPILER , Part 1: The P-Code Interpreter

LET YOUR FING ERS DO THE TALKING : Scanner Applications

S2L : AN ALTAIR (S-100) TO LSI-ll BUS ADAPTER

WADUZITDO: How To Write a Language

Background

THE MATHEMATICS OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS

APL AND GRAPHICS

SOME WORDS ABOUT PROGRAM STRUCTURE

ANTIQUE MECHANICAL COMPUTERS: The Torres Chess Automaton

MATH IN THE REAL WORLD

GRAPHIC MANIPULATIONS USING MATRICES

Nucleus

In This BYTE

On Entering Our Fourth Year

The NCC '78 Personal Computer Show

Letters

BYTE's Bits

BYTE's Bugs

Event Queue

Programming Quickies: Plugging the KIM-2 Gap

Clubs and Newsletters Directory

Book Reviews

Technical Forum: Making an H9 Understand Lower Case

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 03-09 1978-09 Graphic Manipulations

Cover

post-12606-129936144912_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129936145691_thumb.jpg

Note: Unfortunately the original owner of this magazine tore out a page (121/122) and a section of another (pages 53/54). If someone has this issue laying around and can scan the two (well four... 2 sides) I can update this mag and make it complete. Thanks. Fixed!

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 03-09 1979-09 Graphic Manipulations - 210 Pages 128,984,362 bytes

Note: Unfortunately the original owner of this magazine tore out a page (121/122) and a section of another (pages 53/54). If someone has this issue laying around and can scan the two (well four... 2 sides) I can update this mag and make it complete. Thanks.

I have this issue. I'll PM you where you can get the scans.

Dan

BYTE Vol 03-09 1979-09 Graphic Manipulations - 210 Pages 128,984,362 bytes

Note: Unfortunately the original owner of this magazine tore out a page (121/122) and a section of another (pages 53/54). If someone has this issue laying around and can scan the two (well four... 2 sides) I can update this mag and make it complete. Thanks.

I have this issue. I'll PM you where you can get the scans.

Dan

Thank you much sir!

The magazine is all fixed and looking good now :) The link had been changed to point to the updated magazine.. I also had the name wrong on the filename (1979 instead of 1978) so if anyone is saving these to a directory make sure to delete the previous one.

BYTE Vol 04-01 1979-01 Life Algorithms - 228 Pages 151,407,526 bytes

BYTE Vol 04-01 from January 1979... Huge Huge article on the 6809 processor design philosophy... Though I love reading on computer history so my favorite article was the one on the IBM 704. The BNF article was awesome... and a wire Wrapping kit makes the "whats new?" on page 214 heh :)

Foreground

BUILD A COMPUTER CONTROLLED SECURITY SYSTEM FOR YOUR HOME,

A COMPUTERIZED MAILING LIST

LIFE ALGORITHMS

POLYPHONY MADE EASY

AN AUDIBLE LOGIC TEST PROBE

HISTORY OF COMPUTERS: The IBM 704

Background

A MICROPROCESSOR FOR THE REVOLUTION: THE 6809

AN EXPOSURE TO MUMPS

THE DIGICAST SYSTEM

GRANDMASTER WALTER BROWNE VERSUS CHESS 4.6

AN INTRODUCTION TO BNF

CREATING A CHESS PLAYER, Part 4: Strategy in Computer Chess

IPS, AN UNORTHODOX HIGH LEVEL LANGUAGE

GOTOlocks AND THE THREE SORTS

ELEMENTS OF STATISTICAL COMPUTATION

Nucleus

In This BYTE

A Short Note on Pascal Progress and Other Topics

Letters

Book Reviews

BYTE's Bugs

Technical Forum: Comments on S-100 Bus Extension

BYTE's Bits

Desk Top Wonder: Some Random Games

Nybbles : A Micro Word Processor

Programming Quickies: Single Stepping the 8080 Processor

Event Queue

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

BOMB, Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 04-01 1979-01 Life Algorithms

Cover

post-12606-129945481591_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-12994548351_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

BYTE Vol 03-09 1978-09 Graphic Manipulations - 212 Pages 130,384,572 bytes

BYTE Vol 03-09 from September 1978... Oh this issue is worth it just for the coverage of the NCC 2978 Computer show.. Great photos of graphics with UCSD pascal, Exidy's generating color graphics, Compucolor 3, a micro mouse running a maze, RCA Cosmac graphics expansion, and a voice controlled music synthesizer.

Several articles on the math behind computer graphics... Clearly they did not learn the way student today do - just drag the circle icon into your code window the click on the parameters.. sheesh! Not so hard! :)

Foreground

A " TINY" PASCAL COMPILER , Part 1: The P-Code Interpreter

LET YOUR FING ERS DO THE TALKING : Scanner Applications

S2L : AN ALTAIR (S-100) TO LSI-ll BUS ADAPTER

WADUZITDO: How To Write a Language

Background

THE MATHEMATICS OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS

APL AND GRAPHICS

SOME WORDS ABOUT PROGRAM STRUCTURE

ANTIQUE MECHANICAL COMPUTERS: The Torres Chess Automaton

MATH IN THE REAL WORLD

GRAPHIC MANIPULATIONS USING MATRICES

Nucleus

In This BYTE

On Entering Our Fourth Year

The NCC '78 Personal Computer Show

Letters

BYTE's Bits

BYTE's Bugs

Event Queue

Programming Quickies: Plugging the KIM-2 Gap

Book Reviews

Technical Forum: Making an H9 Understand Lower Case

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 03-09 1978-09 Graphic Manipulations

Cover

post-12606-129936144912_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129936145691_thumb.jpg

Note: Unfortunately the original owner of this magazine tore out a page (121/122) and a section of another (pages 53/54). If someone has this issue laying around and can scan the two (well four... 2 sides) I can update this mag and make it complete. Thanks. Fixed!

Just reading this issue, basically is was not Activision being the world's first independent developer and distributor of video games, but Scelbi:

scelbitapes.jpg

Edited by high voltage

Just reading this issue, basically is was not Activision being the world's first independent developer and distributor of video games, but Scelbi:

scelbitapes.jpg

Activision was the first on consoles. No one ever said on computers. Naturally there were several on computers prior to Activision, including famous ones like Adventure International.

ThumpNugget, I don't see much usage on the ftp mirror I offered... got maybe 10-15 users downloading the set.

If you think it will help, you may make the link clickable - maybe people are too lazy to edit the url and abuse the other mirrors.

Maybe you should also mention on each new pdf's post the mirrors as I doubt people that just come from search engines would go to the first post to find about mirrors.

Edited by mariush

ThumpNugget, I don't see much usage on the ftp mirror I offered... got maybe 10-15 users downloading the set.

If you think it will help, you may make the link clickable - maybe people are too lazy to edit the url and abuse the other mirrors.

I can add your mirror to the first link (that chooses a weighted random one) if you like. Right now it is split 70/10/10/10 between mine and the three others

ThumpNugget,

Thanks soooo much for posting these.

For some time I have been searching for BYTE archives. The quality of the scans is excellent - you did an outstanding job and I appreciate that they are in color. I look forward to downloading more issues as they become available!

Edited by jackb

Maybe you should also mention on each new pdf's post the mirrors as I doubt people that just come from search engines would go to the first post to find about mirrors.

I'll do that as soon as I finish replying. I appreciate all the help you guys have given here :)

I think since during most of February there were only a few mags that traffic has died down... I've had a bit of insomnia this past few days so I put some time into extra scanning - there should be four mags this week including two large ones (about a gig total in size - 1500 or so pages). Traffic might pick up!

I'll do that as soon as I finish replying. I appreciate all the help you guys have given here :)

I think since during most of February there were only a few mags that traffic has died down... I've had a bit of insomnia this past few days so I put some time into extra scanning - there should be four mags this week including two large ones (about a gig total in size - 1500 or so pages). Traffic might pick up!

Well, you are certainly scanning them faster than I can read em :-) your ongoing efforts are much appreciated :)

just to note, all mirrors are now included in the files.exotica.org.uk redirector, so you might want to list that first.

Edited by exobuzz
  • Like 1

BYTE Vol 11-09 1986-09 The 68000 Family - 478 Pages 330,720,249 bytes

BYTE Vol 11-09 from September 1986... Oh I like the big issues! The early issues are great but I just have a thing for the 81-86 issues.. So I made a statement a couple months back with another 86 issue that it was the only time an Atari made the cover.. There is an Atari ST on the cover here so obviously I was wrong :) This issues feature is the Motorola 68000 processor and the machines that used it. The articles were all excellent but for me what made this issue was the reviews: A Franklin Ace, Turbo Prolog, Leading Edge, Xerox 6060.. WordPerfect! Sweet!

The article on CRCs was a close second! Make sure to read the Microbytes about the a Terabyte optical disk!

FEATURES

PRODUCT PREVIEW: LABVIEW:

LABORATORY VIRTUAL INSTRUMENT ENGINEERING WORKBENCH

CIARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD A HARDWARE DATA ENCRYPTOR

PROGRAMMING PROJECT: CALCULATING CRCs BY BITS AND BYTES

PROGRAMMING INSIGHT: BREAKING OUT

KEYED FILE ACCESS IN BASIC

REAL TIME UNDER REAL PASCAL

THEME: 68000 MACHINES

68000 TRIPS AND TRAPS

UNIX AND THE MC68000

A COMPARISON OF MC68000 FAMILY PROCESSORS

ATARI ST SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT

AMIGA ANIMATION

AMIGA VS. MACINTOSH

REVIEWS

REVIEWER'S NOTEBOOK

THE FRANKLIN ACE 2200

THE LEADING EDGE MODEL D PC

THE XEROX 6060

THE TURNER HALL CARD

TURBO PROLOG

SOFTWARE CAROUSEL

PARADOX 1.1

WORDPERFECT 4.1

REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL

COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: A Busy DAY

ACCORDING TO WEBSTER: Two FINE PRODUCTS Turbo Prolog and LightspeedC

BYTE JAPAN: PERSPECTIVES ON HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE

BYTE U.K.: TURBOCHARGING MANDELBROT

APPLICATIONS ONLY: SING YE MACPRAISES by

BEST OF BIX

AMIGA .

ATARI ST.

IBM PC AND COMPATIBLES

MACINTOSH

PASCAL

Nucleus

EDITORIAL: COLLEGE CREDITS THROUGH

COMMUNICATIONS

MICROBYTES

LETTERS

WHATS NEW

EVENTS AND CLUBS

ASK BYTE

CIRCUIT CELLAR FEEDBACK

BOOK REVIEWS

FIXES

CHAOS M ANOR MAIL.

BOMB RESULTS

Download it here: BYTE Vol 11-09 1986-09 The 68000 Family

Cover

post-12606-129954650301_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129954651072_thumb.jpg

post-12606-129954652047_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

ThumpNugget:

Thanks for all this. I have a heap of BYTE magazines mostly from the 1980's that you can slice and cut if needed. I would offer to scan these myself for you by my sheet feed Fujitsu really needs replacing after having done 100,000 pages or so! But I can certainly ship you the BYTE magazines from here in Oz if needed at my cost.

Why have I done 100,000 pages? Well, I have scanned most of issues of Electronics Australia and ETI and a number of other magazines from the mid-1970's onwards in TIFF monochrome format. Not as nice as the PDF's of BYTE but readable and since I started in the 1990's disk space was an issue. But I have issues here if people need them - distributing the full collection is an issue since there is a copyright holder, at least at the moment

Darryl

• Like 1

Darryl:

I have ancient ETI magazines too (I got mine for free from a kind neighbor when I was a child in Eastern Canada)!! Late 1970s/early 80s stuff - those made sense to scan in b/w since there was little/no colour in the magazines themselves. Ah memories - I recall the funny subscription ads they ran, as well as articles written by Steve Rimmer.

If there exist pdf copies of these, I'd love to get my hands on them.

ThumpNugget:

You totally rule. Thanks again for placing such a great resource on the web. Oh, and more 1980s Bytes please :)

ThumpNugget:

Thanks for all this. I have a heap of BYTE magazines mostly from the 1980's that you can slice and cut if needed. I would offer to scan these myself for you by my sheet feed Fujitsu really needs replacing after having done 100,000 pages or so! But I can certainly ship you the BYTE magazines from here in Oz if needed at my cost.

Why have I done 100,000 pages? Well, I have scanned most of issues of Electronics Australia and ETI and a number of other magazines from the mid-1970's onwards in TIFF monochrome format. Not as nice as the PDF's of BYTE but readable and since I started in the 1990's disk space was an issue. But I have issues here if people need them - distributing the full collection is an issue since there is a copyright holder, at least at the moment

Darryl

ThumpNugget:

Darryl

Hey there Darryl, I really appreicate the offer! Here is what is missing up through 1986:

Vol 4: 10,11,12

Vol 6: 6,7,11

Vol 7: 1,2,5,8,9,10

Vol 8: 1,3,4,6,7,11

Vol 9: 8,10,12

Vol 10: 2,3,4,5,6,7,10,12

Vol 11: 11

Might be a bit pricey from your side of the world :) I am also wondering how much longer my current scanner is going to last.. So far the worst it has given me is some wierd sounds while scanning but still running like a champ (not a single paper jam since returning from vacation - over 2000 pages).

Have you tought of converting those tiffs to pdfs for future distribution?

OK... I have just checked my list, and here is what I have that you are missing, to the end of volume 11...

Vol 6: 7/June 11/Nov

Vol 7: 5/May 8/Aug 10/Oct

Vol 8: 3/Mar 4/Apr 7/Jul 11/Nov

Vol 9: 12/Nov 10/Sep

Vol 10: 2/Feb 3/Mar 4/Apr 5/May 6/June 7/Jul 10/Oct 12/Nov [Note: Vol 10 has 13 issues...][February does not have a front cover]

This should be 19 issues. If you don't need them quickly I can ship them via sea mail and they should get there in about three months I am guessing. No use wasting money on air mail if they are just going to sit on a table at your end. Up to you really...

And do we need to be looking for a new scanner for you :-) Or at least find you some sewing machine oil for some of the bearings and gears

Darryl