IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Excellent, excellent... The cheapest method for shipping is good.. I still have 50+ BYTES in the "to-scan" pile so there is a long way to go before worrying about any sort of shortage.

As far as a new scanner.. I am betting this one is going to hold out for another 50,000 pages... thats my goal! ;)

ThumpNugget,

Thanks again for taking the initiative to scan these issues and making them available to everyone.

I have a suggestion. I view the magazine in Adobe Reader's two-page mode on my 24-inch panels. It appears that I'm reading the actual magazine!

I noticed that the left-hand pages are on the right side and the right-hand pages are on the left side. As originally published, some of the advertisements, etc were two-page spreads (as were some other things) where the pages faced each other. In the scans they're on different spreads (as they appear in the two-page mode in Adobe Reader). Not a big deal, just a detail.

To fix this, how about making the back cover so that it appears as page 2 in the scans? This way all the following pages line up as they were originally published. The page numbers would then appear in the lower outside corners of the pages as originally published. The first page would be the front cover and the second page would be the back cover.

Not a big deal, this is just a suggestion.

Again, thanks so much for this!

Thanks!

Edited by jackb

To fix this, how about making the back cover so that it appears as page 2 in the scans? This way all the following pages line up as they were originally published. The page numbers would then appear in the lower outside corners of the pages as originally published. The first page would be the front cover and the second page would be the back cover.

You can do this yourself with Adobe Reader... after you switch to Two-Up mode, go to the View/Page Display menu and check the "Show Cover-Page During Two-Up" option. That will make page 1 stand by itself, then start the two-up with 2/3, 4/5, etc.

I noticed that the left-hand pages are on the right side and the right-hand pages are on the left side. As originally published, some of the advertisements, etc were two-page spreads (as were some other things) where the pages faced each other. In the scans they're on different spreads (as they appear in the two-page mode in Adobe Reader). Not a big deal, just a detail.

But I wonder if that would mess it up for other people?

For example, I use a 1600 x 1200 (20.1") panel. It lays out perfectly for me, in 2-page mode.

(I reduced the resolutions here for filesize)

post-16281-129973885137_thumb.jpg

The front cover, over on the right, like it's supposed to be.

post-16281-129973885705_thumb.jpg

post-16281-129973886086_thumb.jpg

post-16281-1299738867_thumb.jpg

The next couple of 2-page ads and the table of contents. Everything looks ok?

post-16281-129973887547_thumb.jpg

The back page, over on the left, like a real magazine.

Is this working out ok for the rest of you folks? Now I'm curious.

You can do this yourself with Adobe Reader... after you switch to Two-Up mode, go to the View/Page Display menu and check the "Show Cover-Page During Two-Up" option. That will make page 1 stand by itself, then start the two-up with 2/3, 4/5, etc.

Oh sweet. Thanks for the tip. I just tried it and it works wonderfully.

BYTE Vol 03-03 1978-03 Computer Music Systems - 228 Pages 153,461,543 bytes

BYTE Vol 03-03 from March 1978... Good issue. Part two of the CIE network - this issue focusing on protocols... A user report on the PET 2001.. Part 3 from the brains ans machine articles. Lots of stuff for hardware people: A Two Computer Music System, the Microcomputer Pipe Organ, and the huge Interfacing OEM Floppy Disks into personal computer.

The Pipe Oran reminded me of a restaurant as a child - they had a place called "Pipes and Pizza" that not only had the pipes computer controlled but many many more instruments on the wall like drums and symbols.. The place was great, It went out of business in the late 70's. I;m sure today they would have even more instruments and they would all be MIDI controlled :) Looks like there are still some "Pipes and Pizza" places around but they don't look anything like the one I remembered.

Foreground

PROGRAM YOUR NEXT EROM IN BASIC

INTERFACING THE SYKES OEM FLOPPY DISK KIT TO A COMPUTER

GET ON AT THE RIGHT ADDRESS

Background

A TWO COMPUTER MUSIC SYSTEM

AN APPLE TO BYTE

THE MICROCOMPUTER AND THE PIPE ORGAN

THE BRAINS OF MEN AND MACHINES: How the Brain Analyzes Output

USER'S REPORT: THE PET 2001

CIE NET: A DESIGN FOR A NETWORK

MICROCHESS 1.5 VERSUS DARK HORSE

TAKE A COURSE IN MICROPROGRAMMING

CONTROLLING THE REAL WORLD

THE INTELLIGENT MEMORY BLOCK

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Don 't Ignore the High End ... or My Search for Manuscript Editing Paradise

Some Enticing Advance WOrds

Letters

BYTE's Bits

BYTE's Bugs

Book Reviews

Technical Forum: The Altair (S-100) Bus Forum : PCC 77

Programming Quickies

Clubs, Newsletters

What's New?

Classified Ads

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 03-03 1978-03 Computer Music Systems

Cover

post-12606-129978688137_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129978689357_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The next issues is a big one (660 page, 445 megs) and a really good one! All about user interfaces and making programs easier to use (15 large article on the topic) with a detailed look at Microsoft Windows 1.0 and a very detailed look at the ATR8000 for the Atari 8-bit.. First look at the Hercules Graphic card the 65C02.

Posting will be Saturday morning (assuming I can get it uploaded :)

BYTE Vol 08-12 1983-12 Easy Software - 660 Pages 455,438,031 bytes

BYTE Vol 08-12 from December 1983... Oh I love big issues form the early 80's! So the theme is "Easy Software" and they really went to town for the theme this month: 16 articles. As I mentioned before the article on the ATR8000 and the other one on Microsoft Windows 1.0 and the one for the CMOS 6502 are the must reads. I am sure there are others!

Columns

Keep Power-Line Pollution Out of Your Computer

BYTE West Coast: Microsoft Windows

User's Column: Buddy, Can You Spare a Door Latch?

Themes

Easy Software

An Introduction to Integrated Software

Presentation and Form in User-Interface Architecture

Why Is Software So Hard to Use?

Walt Disney and User-Oriented Software

Making Life Easier for Professional and Novice Programmers

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify

Integrating Voice in the Office World

The Starburst User Interface

The Complete Information-Management System

The Allegory of Software

The New Interface Technology

Trackball Interfacing Techniques for Microprocessors

The User Interface: Two Approaches

The Future of Metaphor in Man-Computer Systems

Reviews

Reviewer's Notebook

The Texas Instruments Professional Computer

The ATR8000

The Hercules Graphics Card

The Wang Professional Computer

In Search of the Most Amazing Thing

Features

Color Graphics from Any Computer

Mainframe to Micro: Adapting a Financial-Modeling Language

POKEing Around in the IBM PC, Part 2: Subroutines for the BIOS Interface

and Screen-Display Disk Storage

The CMOS 6502

A Tiger Meets a Dragon

A Computer-Algebra-Based Calculating System

The User Looks at Books

Nucleus

Editorial: Christmas in Chapter XI

MICROBYTES

Letters

BYTE's Bits

User to USer

Software Received

Clubs and Newsletters

Books Received

Ask BYTE

Event Queue

What's New?

Book Reviews

Unclassified Ads

Download it here: BYTE Vol 08-12 1983-12 Easy Software

Cover

post-12606-129987090597_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129987091874_thumb.jpg

post-12606-129987093168_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 02-04 1977-04 Baudot Machines - 180 Pages 109,260,127 bytes

BYTE Vol 02-04 from April 1977... Going for four this week so I had to get this one out to make the goal.. I'm a but BYTEd out this week so I didn't go through the articles in an overly detailed fashion. The usual suspects of goodness: A bit on the 8008 - it is 1977 and they are already calling this processor slow and out of date and have labeled it "first generation".

There is an article on the Apple II (with a picture) which I think is the first mention in BYTE (The magazine issue date is a month before the Apple II launch)... Some of the background articles have some strange names - "WHY AREN'T THERE ANY ALTAIRS ON ARCTURUS II?" I need to go back and see what these are about :)

Foreground

KIM GOES TO THE MOON

A SOFTWARE CONTROLLED 1200 BPS AUDIO TAPE INTERFACE

DESIGNING THE 'TINY ASSEMBLER"- Defining the Problem

NAVIGATION WITH MINI-O, Part 3

Background

A GUIDE TO BAUDOT MACHINES: Part 1

HAVING A "PRIVATE AFFAIR" WITH YOUR COMPUTER

A REVIEW OF TOM PITTMAN'S TINY BASIC

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE : WHAT IS IT?

ESTABLISHING THE CHU DYNASTY

EARLY INDICATIONS OF TECHNOLOGY IN ROMAN MILITARY ARTS or PLEXITUS

WHY AREN'T THERE ANY ALTAIRS ON ARCTURUS II?

MICROPROCESSOR UPDATE: 8008

MICROCOMPUTER GLOSSARY

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Born 300 Years Ahead of My Time

A Nybble on the Apple

Letters

Ask BYTE

Review

What's New?

Book Reviews

Classified Ads

Technical Forum

BYTE's Bits

Computer Stores in Canada

Clubs, Newsletters

KilO'Byte

An 8080 Bug in the Stack

PAPERBYTES Forum

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-04 1977-04 Baudot Machines

Cover

post-12606-130003192108_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-130003193367_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The IP address changed on one of my cable modems.

Have updated the mirror redirector.

Thank you!

One question about the mirror redirector. Does it simply redirect to the actual files or to the index files? I have to manually build the index files and that keeps me from rapidly add new releases even though the files are there. If your redirector points directly to the files, then that solves my problem of updating the index files.

Thank you!

One question about the mirror redirector. Does it simply redirect to the actual files or to the index files? I have to manually build the index files and that keeps me from rapidly add new releases even though the files are there. If your redirector points directly to the files, then that solves my problem of updating the index files.

it redirects to the root of your mirror. what index files are you having to update? if you mean the directory listing, then just let your webserver generate it perhaps.

Thank you!

it redirects to the root of your mirror. what index files are you having to update? if you mean the directory listing, then just let your webserver generate it perhaps.

Thank you for the explanation. :) I have a very old web server that no one would believe is acting as the server and turning off directory listings turns off the automatic indexes (which I need for privacy for the other things served by this server). Oh well, no biggie.

Thank you for the explanation. :) I have a very old web server that no one would believe is acting as the server and turning off directory listings turns off the automatic indexes (which I need for privacy for the other things served by this server). Oh well, no biggie.

you cant control directory listings on a per directory basis? Sounds like you need an upgrade.

Edited by exobuzz

ThumpNugget:

I sent the BYTE magazines to you today via SEA mail. They will take about 2-3 months to get there probably, unless they send them by AirMail accidentally. The key numbers - 19 Issues; 15.560 KG (just under 35 pounds); A$153.70 postage;

If you decide to scan more once you have up to volume 11, I have a lot more magazines I can get rid of. That I want to get rid of in fact :-)

To the person who offered UPS, thanks, but in the end, ThumpNugget has a backlog of magazines so there is no need to get them there fast. Australia Post will get them there fast enough.

Darryl

you cant control directory listings on a per directory basis? Sounds like you need an upgrade.

I'd love to see one for a 486dx-33. :o

To the person who offered UPS, thanks, but in the end, ThumpNugget has a backlog of magazines so there is no need to get them there fast. Australia Post will get them there fast enough.
I wasn't concerned about speed, but replacement if the shipment got damaged. UPS is very good on payment for damaged shipments as well as a refund of the shipping costs if it's not on time, even on their slowest (cheapest) shipment methods.

I've been taking advantage of downloading some of these magazines lately. Pretty great stuff in the early issues. By the time I was browsing the actual issues (in the mid-to-late 80's), the magazine didn't cover my interests (which, at the time was the C64 and games).

I can't find Byte, Vol. 5, No. 5., so I presume it hasn't been scanned in yet. There is a review (according to Google Books) on page 121 of "Tiny Assembler, Version 3.1." I just scanned in the entire book and added it to my 6800 CPU programming website, here:

http://www.orphanedgames.com/APF/6800_cpu_programming/6800_cpu_programming.html

I'd like to also add this review of the book. How far along in the backlog is this issue? Can I make a request for just this one page?

Adam