IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Hooray!! some news.. Currently my scanner is packed away. On my last trip away from home I did not adequately explain to the person watching my dogs that they can't be separated when nobody is home (one has separation anxiety) so the beagle decided to chew holes in my carpets in the den and back bedroom.. So all the furniture has been pulled out and I am living on my laptop - no way to scan until the new floor goes in (next week).

I do have a 1978 BYTE done I have not posted so I'll get that posted today or tomorrow :) .. get back to the 1981 issues after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Hooray!! some news.. Currently my scanner is packed away. On my last trip away from home I did not adequately explain to the person watching my dogs that they can't be separated when nobody is home (one has separation anxiety) so the beagle decided to chew holes in my carpets in the den and back bedroom.. So all the furniture has been pulled out and I am living on my laptop - no way to scan until the new floor goes in (next week). I do have a 1978 BYTE done I have not posted so I'll get that posted today or tomorrow :) .. get back to the 1981 issues after that.

Ummm, ThumpNugget, is everything all right?

Hi everyone, I haven't looked at the thread in several months now as I actually got back to working on my web site. And it seems my links have stopped working long before I came back here. :( And with that, I have some bad news--I can no longer host the copies I have as I need the disk space.

I had no idea I'd generate this much data this year, so something has to give. I still have a copy on one of my archive drives, so I still have some of the issues if something happens to the project, but I hope that the project continues as it brings back a bygone era of computing that was very exciting. I only saw a glimpse of it when I went to a c64 user group meeting back in the 80s with my dad, but it had an excitement that I've never found anywhere else.

I'll still try to check in on this thread to see the progress, and it's interesting to see that the new owners of Byte want this project done too. :)

No need to worry about having a backup of the files available.

For now, I don't see any reasons to stop hosting the files on the ftp (link in the first post) and I'm pretty much checking this thread every couple of days so new files will be there as they're published.

There are people downloading them almost 24/7 from all over the world so it's nice to see there's still interest in these magazines.

Absolutely! I've d'l each one, including the cover and indices. I have read about 10% of what I wanted to so far.

The style and campiness of the journalism is timeless! Authors getting excited about AI and graphics and high-density floppies. All that stuff. It's all good.

Then we have the seriousness of electronics projects and in-depth reviews of hardware. The reviews are good too, technically biased and not distracted by "big media".

What I am looking for, and I don't recall it being in Byte is a review about the Sider hard disk drive from First Class Peripherals. Perhaps it's a sidebar in some issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone else is interested in doing some scanning, I have a few boxes of newer Byte magazines here in Oz. The only issue is that these magazines are not light meaning that shipping can get expensive. Having said that, I am wanting to get rid of them to a good cause. The magazines that I had that are within the series ThumpNugget is scanning should have arrived at his place now - I sent a box of about 20 across earlier this year

Darryl

I'm willing to take them and I have a scanner available so I can do some scanning and upload.... and maybe I could contribute with about 20$ to the shipping...thought it's probably not much. Contact me through private messages if nobody closer to you offers to take them off your hands (i'm in East Europe).

• 2 weeks later...

Man shipping to EUR is pricey. Mind you I am in the process 40 issues of NGC magazine sent from Switzerland to New Zealand and that's $200+ so I guess it's about right. Those Byte's are REALLY BIG mags!!.

I'd offer to take them (surface shipping to NZ should be a lot more reasonable) but I am seriously backlogged on all the mags I currently have yet to scan (1500+ mags at last count).

Is anyone else scanning Byte issues? Unfortunately, Thumpnugget's amazing effort didn't cover the era I really need for a project. I'm trying to gather up all of Jerry Pournelle's old Chaos Manor columns for a retrospective e-book. (I've been helping Jerry get all of his out of print material up on Amazon and B&N. I just finished the Imperial stars series of anthologies and started work on High Justice today.)

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap these days, which is really useful for e-book conversions. I could do magazine scans if anyone has sacrificial copies available to reduced to loose pages that can pass through the scanner.

I have a Fujitsu ScanSnap these days, which is really useful for e-book conversions. I could do magazine scans if anyone has sacrificial copies available to reduced to loose pages that can pass through the scanner.

Like I noted earlier, I have six boxes of BYTE that I am willing to donate, but they are located here in Australia. If you are able to arrange their transport you can have them.

Darryl

Like I noted earlier, I have six boxes of BYTE that I am willing to donate, but they are located here in Australia. If you are able to arrange their transport you can have them.

Darryl

I'm afraid my budget is far too constrained for that. It would probably be cheaper to send you a scanner via a retailer serving your region! Which might work out if enough people wanted the project to continue and there was somebody at your end to do the manual labor.

He's been traveling abroad and busy with some other things, I'm sure he'll be back around soonish.

I think most of us have been concerned that he just fell off the face of the planet, or was kidnapped by Iranians to make a nuclear bomb or something like that.

Since you're in the same city, I think we can assume that you have some personal contact with him.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin
  • Like 1

I have a Fujitsu scanner. If there is someone who can help me with the right settings and the post processing I could probably start on the ones that I have

Darryl

For magazine scans to searchable PDF files, the default settings in ScanSnap Organizer are probably a perfectly good starting point.

My main use for the SnapScan is feeding through paperbacks that had the spine removed to make e-book versions. I've done a bunch for Jerry Pournelle. Three volumes of Imperial Stars anthologies, High Justice, and Exiles to Glory are the ones that will appear on Amazon and B&N next. I've just started on the Endless Frontier anthology series with four volumes and then there will be the There Will Be War anthologies with nine volumes.

For that job the bundled software with the S1300 had some annoying deficiencies that greatly added to the workload. I got ahold of the coprorate desktop edition of ABBYY Finereader and that was a huge improvement for e-book work. Generally, though, I'd rather have a plain text file and format that than try to retain any formatting from a book scan because so much crud sneaks in and makes for more work.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone come across the issue of Byte that famously called the Apple II, Commodore PET 2001, and TRS-80 the "1977 Trinity"? I'm downloading the issues from the FTP and reading through them as quickly as possible, but if someone remembers reading about the "trinity" in a particular issue and could let me know that would save me a lot of time and I'd be really grateful, cheers, Rory. :)