IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

I never had the experience reading the Byte from the 80's and the 70's. I was born in 76 but I was not in the US during the 80 and where I was, we did not had access to the magazine. I have found Byte from the 70 and 80 a great magazine. I love the articles. I'm a programmer, so I love all the great articles, like the 1986 issue with the graphics algorithms. While some maybe old and in Basic, still nice to look at them. However, it seems that at some point, the magazine shifted more to products and concepts than programming. I still found some nice articles in the early 90's.

I wonder if anyone knows that articles are in the best of bytes. Does anyone has the pdf?

In the following days, the server (the FTP one) currently hosting the byte magazines will be upgraded to more powerful hardware, but unfortunately instead of 1 TB+ of disk space it will now have just about 240-480 GB SSD drives.

Therefore, I may no longer be able to host the full pack of about 72 GB - I'll probably only keep the files uploaded in the last half a year or so, the ones in "Uploads 2012" and "Uploads 2013" and "March 2013".

Everything else was available for more than a year now so everyone should have them by now.

I still have most of them available at http://malus.exotica.org.uk/~buzz/byte/ - which I can make available on ftp too. I will check and sync anything that was added to yours recently that I am missing. Are you able to set up rsyncd access so we can synchronise properly. If not perhaps we could point users to upload any new stuff to my ftp and I can give you access to rsync the latest stuff or something ?

has anyone heard from thumpnugget btw ?

• Like 1

In years where there are 13 issues, like say when they make a special issue or guide, it is important to verify the VOLUME and NUMBER and MONTH against what is printed in the magazine. You can either find the info on the cover or someplace in the first 15 pages, typically. It

Like there's a file that's labeled BYTE-1989-10.pdf

Alright, what does the 10 mean? Number? Month? And whatever it is it is inaccurate for it's really

BYTE 1989 v14 n08 August - Small Wonders.pdf

Similarly BYTE-1993-11.pdf, exactly what is it? Number 11? Or the 11th month? I relabeled it to

BYTE 1993 v18 n12 November - Windows vs OS2.pdf

And here BYTE-1986-11.pdf, I renamed it to BYTE 1986 v11 n12 November - Knowledge Representation.pdf

And BYTE-1989-12.pdf ?? BYTE 1989 v14 n13 December - Laptops.pdf instead

Edited by Keatah

You can name them in whichever way you like. It's uploader's prerogative regarding how he names the files.

For example, I would hate your naming convention, simply because the files would not be sorted properly in the folder.

I would rather have BYTE YYYY-MM-DD ED## - Description and I might even drop the DAY completely because it's of no use.

But I guess you're one of those Americans that have no clue about date standards like ISO_8601

Well, that's my proposal on how to make a usable archive. Whether it adheres to procedures and standards, like who cares. All you linux junkies and standards sticklers can change it around and whatever. But the necessary information is there and it just works.

You get Magazine Name, Year, Volume, Number, Month, Main "theme" Name, Source, and Filetype. It's readable, and sortable.

• 4 weeks later...

BYTE Vol 02-11 1977-11 Sweet 16 - 260 Pages 157,227,650 bytes

Volume 11-2 from November 1977... Worth reading? I guess if you want to read about the 6502 Dream machine, an improved simulation of Lunar Lander, a look at switching ROMS on the Fairchild CPU, and see enough "What's New" stuff from here to next tuesday.. Yeah it's worth reading!

FOREGROUND

MEMORY MAPPED I0

USING INTERRUPTS FOR REAL TIME CLOCKS

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT TIME IT IS7

ADDING AN INTERRUPT DRIVEN REAL TIME CLOCK

FLOATING POINT ARITHMETIC

BUILDING A COMPUTER FROM SCRATCH

A 6502 PERSONAL SYSTEM DESIGN: KOMPUUTAR

IMPLEMENTING AN LSI FREQUENCY COUNTER

SWEET16: THE 6502 DREAM MACHINE

DO YOU NEED THE REAL TIME?

BACKGROUND

SIMULATION OF MOTION : A n Improved Lunar Lander Algorithm Modelling

A MINICOMPUTER FAIR: TINY AND PERSONAL Computer Fairs

SPIKES: Pesky Voltage Transients and How to Minimize Their Effects

NIMBLE: THE ULTIMATE NIM?

NUCLEUS

In This BYTE

The Compleat Robotics Experimenter

Letters

BYTE's Bugs

BOMB Lands on APL

The TRS-80 : Radio Shack's New Entry

Programming Quickies

My Experiences with the 2650

Ask BYTE

Switching ROMs in the Fairchild F8 Evaluation Kit

BYTE's Bits

Technical Forum

Languages Forum

Book Reviews

Clubs and Newsletters

Classified Ads

What's New?

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-11 1977-11 Sweet 16

Cover

post-12606-0-75057700-1375844619_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-39592700-1375844636_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 2

Hey! Very nice to see the place again! Sadly I fell behind in my one per week goal. I was afraid to go back and read what was said so I thought I'd offer up a goodie to soften the blow. I had actually done this last scan some time back and never got around to posting it. Just now testing some scans on a new mag and having to re-do the photoshop macros and remember way too many settings to get it exactly the same.

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 6

Thanks everyone. No worries, life just got busy for a while (married, fired from my job, training replacments for my job, then rehired to my job, etc, etc). I had not meant to be gone that long - life was moving fast - my brother said he had posted about it on here but I do not see any posts from him - we are going to have to have a talk! ;)

I am glad others have been working on this project.. To be honest I'm not exactly sure where things currently stand as far as what magazines others have scanned, what other sites are offering the torrents or made them available for download and how everything is currently organized... It looks like archive.org has most of them up which is excellent. On my end the all the magazines that I scanned are still available for individual download.

I did straighten up the first post of this thread (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/167235-byte-magazine/) and made sure the list is current (it even lines up now!) I also marked the latest upload with a "Latest" tag. Though if you look at it right now you will notice it is for one today - It is currently uploading and should be up later on. This only lists my scans of course - hopefully as I can a better feel for what else has transpired I can help with organizing/syncing/interfacing with other efforts.

Edited by ThumpNugget

ThumbNugget,

I've been scanning a lot lately. (In fact I'm running out of stuff to scan.) I've been posting them on Atarimania.com. I've done a whole bunch of books and manuals in the past few months.

You can see all the new books I have scanned here:

http://www.atarimania.com/documents-atari-400-800-xl-xe-books_1_8.html

Plus a lot more in the manuals section.

There were a bunch of Atari books published back in the day that were not very popular. Those are the ones that are difficult to find. Amazon and other places have some of them but are priced way to high to buy.

Allan

Wow! 140 books and that's not even counting the manuals! If you had asked me how many 8-bit books there were a few years ago I would have said some number under 100. I've looked at AtariManias magazines - had not peeked at the books. Very nice to see it all decently organized in one place for everyone to get at.

I do have one suggestion for them - add a usergroup newsletter tab. The BBS's hurt the group newsletters a bit before the internet destroyed them completely but the few I remember reading really gave a good feel for how the community was evolving over time at a local level. I don;t have much there - a mostly complete Oregon ACE newsletter, one from the Pokey Press from Palm beach, a handful from M-Mace in Missouri, some from the 8-bit Hard Disk Users Group.. The majority of these are gone forever no doubt but it would be nice to have a central repository for what is left.. plus they are usually smaller, stapled, etc.. Easy to scan and much of the time non-destructively so people might give them up for digitizing :)