IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Gaaaaaa! Well crap.. I had taken the last few pages out and rescanned them after finishing it originally, I don't know what happened I specifically remember adding them back.. I'm going through the other finished mags hoping I somehow put them in the wrong PDF but so far no luck .. This mag and a couple others had some water damage and I did some extra processing to clean it up. I've toned it down for color pages for future scans but there are a few in the pipeline that are already done. On some of the later mags toning it down leaves a lot of bleed through.

On the reader cards and inserts: I pull them out mainly because they are basically the same in all issues.. I remember I left them in for Antic and wondered if a single person would ever find it useful.. The same thought (should I be leaving these in) goes through my head each time I chop one up... Some of the later one there can be 10 or so cards that get junked.

BYTE Vol 10-09 1985-09 10th Anniversary Issue

Plus an article on expanding an Atari 800XL to 256K.

Working with BYTE was the greatest experience. My editor was enthusiastic but professional. (See just how good he was and read my submitted draft: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/122470-ram-upgrade-applications/page-2?do=findComment&comment=1496872 ). They sent proofs, a nice check, and comp copies. The only downside was the long lead time - nine months! By then Atari had come out with the 130XE and a different banking scheme. Ugh.

BYTE Vol 03-04 1978-04 Robot Simulation - 212 Pages 133,465,301 bytes

After last weeks issue I thought I would do a small one this week so as to reduce my chances of screwing something up :) But hey! April 1978 was a pretty good issue.. Hands on reports of the TRS-80 and the SOL-20 and an article about creating community exchanges over a network.

FEATURES
OPTIMIZATION : A CASE STUDY
A COLLEGE MICRO-COMPUTER FACILITY
TUNE IN AND TURN ON: A Computerized Wireless AC Control System
ROBOT SIMULATION ON MICROCOMPUTERS

BACKGROUND
THE TDL SYSTEM MONITOR BOARD: A Writer's View
AN INTRODUCTION TO TABLES
HOW TO MULTIPLY IN A WET CLIMATE
THE RADIO SHACK TRS-80: An owners report
THE BRAINS OF MEN AND MACHINES
User's Report : THE SOL-20
CIE NET: A Design or a Network of Community Information Exchanges

SERENDIPITOUS CIRCLES EXPLORED

In This BYTE
Persona l Computing: New Prospects for Art and Science
Letters
Hand Assembling M6800 Relative Addresses
BYTE's Bugs
BYTE's Bits
Department of Robotics Hocum
Programming Quickies
Languages Forum: On Consumers' Languages and Human Interfaces
Concerning PASCAL : A Homebrew Compiler Project
Technical Forum: Problems of International Television Standards
Avoid Self-Modifying Code
Book Reviews
Publisher's Note: Concerning Reprints from BYTE
Clubs, Newsletters
What's New?
Classified Ads
BOMB
Reader Service

Download it here: http://www.strikequick.com/BYTE/BYTE Vol 03-04 1978-04 Robot Simulation.pdf

Cover
post-12606-0-10398200-1384217648_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-08851100-1384217576_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 2

Bonus magazine!

Kilobaud Issue #21 1978-09 - 166 Pages 110,061,050 bytes

I have been trying to pare down my collection as of late .. Currently just mags where I have duplicates but the rest later on.. Anyway some of these dup mags are in too bad of shape to sell so sadly they are being foistered on you the public in digital form before passing from this Earth so as to ease some of my guilt in throwing them away.

This is issue #21 of Kilobaud magazine... For those that do not know the story "Kilobaud" was originally going to be called "KiloByte" and was started by the same person that started BYTE. when he and his wife parted ways she took control of BYTE. When the (then) current BYTE people found out about "KiloByte" they quickly trademarked it for a comic strip than ran inside of byte, so "KiloByte" was instead named "KiloBaud"

I will post a few more of these magazines (and some others) as time goes on.. Interesting magazine. The cover is also the table of contents.

Cover

post-12606-0-10847700-1384528245_thumb.jpg

Download it here: http://www.strikequick.com/scans/other/Kilobaud 21 1978-09.pdf

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 2

Excellent! Thanks you much sir! I made the change and uploaded the modified mag so the link now points to the new mag.

I wasn't sure what I had for Kilobaud, been a while.. Looks like most of the issue up through number 81 but 7-12 are missing... Hard to collect this mag as the name changed three time during its run.

Anyway. thanks! Don't suppose you have #23 scanned and ready? I have that one and #73 (has a vic-20 on the cover) sliced up and ready to scan next and they have similar artistic donations to the covers.

---

A quick blurb on bandwidth: My monthly bandwidth is measured mid month (15th to the 15th). For this last period the BYTE bandwidth was just short of a terabyte (955 Gigs) still not a whisper from godaddy... maybe there is a BYTE fan lurking amongst them :)

Edited by ThumpNugget

While I was renaming the kilobaud I saw another book I had scanned but not posted that was already uploaded to the site.. So new bonus!

OS-9 Color Computer Technical Manual - 1,116 pages 220,004,884 Bytes

This is the OS-9 manual for the Color computer... I have been able to find it on other sites but the quality is quite bad (scanned from when bandwidth was more at a premium) plus the one I scanned had an additional 300 pages.. I think this could be shrunk down further without much perceptible loss..

Cover

post-12606-0-12737900-1384720098_thumb.jpg

Download it here: http://www.strikequick.com/scans/other/OS-9 Color Computer Technical Manual.pdf

Anyway. thanks! Don't suppose you have #23 scanned and ready? I have that one and #73 (has a vic-20 on the cover) sliced up and ready to scan next and they have similar artistic donations to the covers.

Yep, sure do. You may want to add some contrast to these if you want to use them, they scanned a little light.

post-33002-0-27000500-1384734687_thumb.jpg

Edited by RobS
  • Like 1

BYTE Vol 11-10 1986-10 Apple II GS - 418 Pages 281,595,273 bytes

Good one this week! Article on The Apple II GS and reviews of the Amiga, and the Compaq Portable II

FEATURES
INTRODUCTION
PRODUCT PREVIEW: THE APPLE II GS
ClARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD AN INTELLIGENT SERIAL EPROM PROGRAMMER
PROGRAMMING PROJECT: SAFE STORAGE ALLOCATION
SOUND AND THE AMIGA.
PROGRAMMING INSIGHT: A USEFUL PROPERTY OF 2 to the Nth

THEME: PUBLIC DOMAIN POWERHOUSES
INTRODUCTION
PO PROLOG
AN ICON TUTORIAL
ENHANCED CONSOLE DRIVER
ABUNDANCE
Z80MU
CP/M HALL OF FAME

REVIEWS
INTRODUCTION
REVIEWER'S NOTEBOOK
THE COMMODORE AMIGA
THE COMPAQ PORTABLE II
FOUR AND A HALF INCH TAPE BACKUP UNITS
MuLlSP-86
ITC's MODULA-2 SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM
MICROSOFT WORD VERSION 3.0
THE NORTON UTILITIES. PC TOOLS. AND SUPER UTILITY
REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL
INTRODUCTION
COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: THE SHOW GOES ON?
ACCORDING TO WEBSTER: BIT BY BIT. PUTTING IT TOGETHER
APPLICATIONS ONLY: SHAREWARE
BYTE JAPAN: TAIWAN'S COMPUTEX 1986
BYTE U.K .: BASIC TO C by Dick Pountain

BEST OF BIX
Amiga
Atari ST
IBM PC
Macintosh
S-100

EDITORIAL: SIGNS OF VITALITY
MICROBYTES
LETTERS
WHAT'S NEW.
EVENTS AND CLUBS
ASK BYTE
CIRCUIT CELLAR FEEDBACK
BOOK REVIEWS
CHAOS MANOR MAIL
BOMB RESULTS AND NEXT MONTH IN BYTE

Download it here: http://www.strikequick.com/BYTE/BYTE Vol 11-10 1986-10 Apple II GS.pdf

Cover
post-12606-0-62834500-1384822666_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-58216400-1384822708_thumb.jpg post-12606-0-44219200-1384822726_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 09-10 1984-09 Computer Graphics - 536 Pages 355,337,203 bytes

Looking at the features I am guessing there was a plan to do a theme on the floppy disk that was abandoned. Luckily they decided to publish these articles anyway in a features sections - they were very interesting reads..

Must read: The review on the Lilith personal computer.. This was a project by Niclaus Wirth (creator of Pascal and Modula 2) after he spent a sabbatical in Xerox Parc in the mid 70's. When he returned to Europe he began work from scratch on a widows/mouse based system which was built and used in the late 70's and early 80's and began selling to the public in 1984. Wirth spent another Sabatical at Xerox Parc in 1985 and did a complete redesign of his system shortly thereafter and the Oberon and Ceres computer systems were born.

FEATURES
INTRODUCTION
CIARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD THE AC POWER MONITOR
KAMAS: AN UNLIKELY COMBINATION
CLUSTER ANALYSIS
THE 65816 MICROPROCESSOR, PART 2: HARDWARE
THE FLOPPY DISK
COMPARING FLOPPY DISKS
THE THEORY OF DISK-ERROR CORRECTION
FLOPPY-DISK FORMATS
BIG PROJECTS ON SMALL MACHINES

THEME: GRAPHICS
INTRODUCTION
FRACTALS
LASER GRAPHICS AND ANIMATION
THE COMPUTER AS AN ARTISTIC TOOL
COMPUTER LANDSCAPES
EDITOR'S CHOICE
COLOR CONSIDERATIONS
REAL-TIME 3-D GRAPHICS FOR MICROCOMPUTERS
FROM PIXELS TO MICRODOTS

REVIEWS
INTRODUCTION
REVIEWER'S NOTEBOOK
THE LILITH PERSONAL COMPUTER
THE LEADING EDGE PERSONAL COMPUTER
THE MORROW MD-II
FIVE VOICE SYNTHESIZERS
VOLITION'S MODULA-2 ON THE SAGE
REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL
INTRODUCTION
COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: ON THE ROAD
CHAOS MANOR MAIL
BYTE WEST COAST: NEWS FROM ALL OVER
BYTE JAPAN: SHOW TIME
BYTE U.K.: THE SINCLAIR QL

EDITORIAL: MISSING SOFTWARE
MICROBYTES
LETTERS
FIXES AND UPDATES
WHAT'S NEW
ASK BYTE
CLUBS AND NEWSLETTERS
BOOK REVIEWS
EVENT QUEUE
BOOKS RECEIVED
PROGRAMMING INSIGHT
TECHNICAL FORUM
UNCLASSIFIED ADS

Download it here: http://www.strikequick.com/BYTE/BYTE Vol 09-10 1984-09 Computer Graphics.pdf

Cover
post-12606-0-97804300-1385399761_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-81078600-1385399794_thumb.jpg post-12606-0-90815300-1385399825_thumb.jpg

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 4

BYTE Vol 09-10 1984-09 Computer Graphics - 536 Pages 355,337,203 bytes

Looking at the features I am guessing there was a plan to do a theme on the floppy disk that was abandoned. Luckily they decided to publish these articles anyway in a features sections - they were very interesting reads..

Must read: The review on the Lilith personal computer.. This was a project by Niclaus Wirth (creator of Pascal and Modula 2) after he spent a sabbatical in Xerox Parc in the mid 70's. When he returned to Europe he began work from scratch on a widows/mouse based system which was built and used in the late 70's and early 80's and began selling to the public in 1984. Wirth spent another Sabatical at Xerox Parc in 1985 and did a complete redesign of his system shortly thereafter and the Oberon and Ceres computer systems were born.

First of all, thanks for all of your hard work, ThumpNugget.

FYI, there are eight pages missing between pages 348 through 361.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you ThumpNugget for the effort you put in to scan these issues.

I have finally unearthed my collection of BYTE and made a proper inventory of issues.

In reply to your request for missing issues, I have the following available if you need them :

Vol 07 (1982) Missing: Sep
Vol 08 (1983) Missing: Jan, Mar, Apr, Jun, Jul, Nov
Vol 10 (1985) Missing: Feb, Mar, Dec

Please let me know (PM) if you want me to send you some as I will be discarding all when I am done creating my PDF library.

I desperately need to trim my library ! I don't have the room anymore.

Have a safe holiday.

Edited by avalanche

I just read this on cctech@classiccmp.org: ( see original at http://classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2014-January/154306.html )

Could I interest anyone in my collection of BYTE magazines, dating from issue #16 (DEC 76) to Vol 12 No 2 (FEB 87), missing Vol 11 No 11, for pickup in the San Francisco Bay area in California?-- Jeff Woolsey {woolsey,jlw}@{jlw,jxh}.com first.last@{gmail,hp,jlw}.comSpum bad keming.Nature abhors a straight antenna, a clean lens, and unused storage capacity."Delete! Delete! OK!" -Dr. Bronner on disk space management"Card sorting, Joel." -me, re Solitaire

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just wondering where everyone went!

Personally I forgot about it. It's been very important to me, and it was awesome each time a new scan was released, but I'm sure ThumpNugget has other priorities and when we started to see another long gap between posts of new material I just assumed that we would eventually get a digest email when ThumpNugget was back again. It looks like he may have moved on. It's too bad, I offered ThumpNugget a lot of issues of Byte over the years, but he didn't ever seriously respond to my private messages with an address to deliver them to.

Personally I forgot about it. It's been very important to me, and it was awesome each time a new scan was released, but I'm sure ThumpNugget has other priorities and when we started to see another long gap between posts of new material I just assumed that we would eventually get a digest email when ThumpNugget was back again. It looks like he may have moved on. It's too bad, I offered ThumpNugget a lot of issues of Byte over the years, but he didn't ever seriously respond to my private messages with an address to deliver them to.

I would, of course, be willing to send my Byte magazines to anybody willing to scan and upload them here. I offered to pay the postage for them to be sent to ThumpNugget, but clearly anybody else would have to earn some level of trust/proof of quality for me to make the same offer. I listed the magazines I have available in one of my posts and will repost it here when I find it.

I would, of course, be willing to send my Byte magazines to anybody willing to scan and upload them here. I offered to pay the postage for them to be sent to ThumpNugget, but clearly anybody else would have to earn some level of trust/proof of quality for me to make the same offer. I listed the magazines I have available in one of my posts and will repost it here when I find it.

I would do the scanning myself, but there are two factors preventing that:

1: Not owning a decent scanner, or a scanner that I'm willing to burn out the lamp life on.

2: Being too lazy - I can't even imagine the hours that ThumpNugget put in to provide the quality end result he uploaded.

• Like 1