IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Thank you! That was a routing issue that was quickly fixed. :) It should work fine now. I actually noticed that all the traffic konked out the 486 web server, so nothing was working for a while. I just rebooted it, so full 15Mb is back online for downloading. :)
Some chick just tolted me that she didn't want to pollute her brand new SSD with dirty magazines. She said all the paper dust from handling and scanning could gum up the works!! It was best to leave it online and out of the house.
HAHAHA!!! Maybe she was looking at real dirty magazines. Either that or she was that blonde that's in all the blonde jokes.

[blonde and brunette walking down the sidewalk]

Brunette, pointing at the ground: "Look! A dead bird!"

Blonde, looking up at the sky: "Where?"

Or that if I ever get abducted by extra-terrestrials I might only have time to grab my usb drive before we leave. And if so, then I'd have some good reading material for the flight to their homeworld. And to boot, I'd have some materials with which to barter.

LOL!! "Can you say floppy?" "Flop-eee"

I think this chick was referring to keeping down the amount of write cycles to flash-based storage.

Another, much much older lady I know actually refuses to let the internet into her house because satan might come out of the coax-cable. With all the evil-ness surrounding pr0n and finances and trading and child coercion and online crime and corporate greed and id theft and stuff - she feels justified. She is serious, because she has kids and they have to go to the library. Which is a way aways. It's not like they can't afford it or anything, being in an affluent neighborhood. So her hubby discussed getting wireless internet, and he argued the point that everything happens above ground. No buried cables running past the gates of hell deep in the bowels of the earth. But, noooooo, she complained that it could act like a lightning rod and attract the corrupt spirits that oozed up through the ground which had escaped from hell. She said it could be worse, because as the information floats in the air it could seep into your brain and get you that way.

So one time I asked her about the electricity, she said that any evil coming out those wires in the ground would be fried crisply and thoroughly. And she said something similar for the natural gas lines, that it would be suffocated and "stinked away" by the smell!

You can probably guess this person has a thorough water filtration system set up too.

I tell you man.. there's some serious weirdos out there!

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

I personally do not do that. I have a separate directory for every magazine series.. But almost everybody else I know reads them on-line. Seems that if it is online, then people will just come back, online, to re-read anything.

As soon as you present the idea of downloading, they stop and get all flustered about hard drive space, and the time it takes to download and unpack. Their panties get all bound up and everything. Like as if it is a ritual to be carefully considered and if it is worth doing. As if, somehow, reading it online is far less intensive by some orders of magnitude.

Wow, yeah. That sure isn't an issue for us data-hoarders, now is it? LOL

Especially since 2TB external USB drives can be had for $60 sometimes, on sale. Soon the problem will be trying to figure out which one in the pile has you mag collection.

Hello,

I've found this thread on ascii.textfiles.com (Jason Scott's blog: http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/2672) and I have to say it made my week. I love reading these old magazines and see how technology evolved - here in Romania where I live we only got some rare imports of Byte, usually also very expensive, and the other IT magazines focused more on general IT news, product reviews and so on.

I'd like to give back a little so I've mirrored the files on a dedicated server:

ftp:// helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/

Please copy the link, remove the space and paste it in a new browser window/tab or in your favourite FTP client/download manager. It's configured to accept 2 downloads at the same time from the same IP and up to 20 simultaneous connections, so at least 10 people at a time should be able to download files easily and fast - server is on a 100 mbps unmetered connection in Holland.

Feel free to publish the link in the first post but please don't make it clickable, I don't want it indexed by search engines.

I've also uploaded the files posted so far on Rapidshare, using my own premium account, so there is not wait time and you'll get the maximum speed possible (if you're in Europe at least).

The RS links for each pdf are in the only text file in the FTP folder. I'd rather not post them here and look like I'm spamming links. If a mod/admin or OP says it's OK I can also post them.

OP, if you wish I can create an account on the FTP server so you can upload the PDF files directly to it and take the strain off your computers.

• Like 1

Another, much much older lady I know actually refuses to let the internet into her house because satan might come out of the coax-cable. With all the evil-ness surrounding pr0n and finances and trading and child coercion and online crime and corporate greed and id theft and stuff - she feels justified. She is serious, because she has kids and they have to go to the library. Which is a way aways. It's not like they can't afford it or anything, being in an affluent neighborhood. So her hubby discussed getting wireless internet, and he argued the point that everything happens above ground. No buried cables running past the gates of hell deep in the bowels of the earth. But, noooooo, she complained that it could act like a lightning rod and attract the corrupt spirits that oozed up through the ground which had escaped from hell. She said it could be worse, because as the information floats in the air it could seep into your brain and get you that way.

So one time I asked her about the electricity, she said that any evil coming out those wires in the ground would be fried crisply and thoroughly. And she said something similar for the natural gas lines, that it would be suffocated and "stinked away" by the smell!

You can probably guess this person has a thorough water filtration system set up too.

I tell you man.. there's some serious weirdos out there!

Wow. She takes the cake. I'd love to see her go to a shrink and get a professional assessment.
Especially since 2TB external USB drives can be had for $60 sometimes, on sale. Soon the problem will be trying to figure out which one in the pile has you mag collection.
Or if the drive has failed. Drives are built no-where near as well as they once were. I have an 80gb that's not even 5yrs old that was filled and put away start clicking when I went to retrieve the data. I have a SCSI raid full of 9gb 2nd generation Seagate Cheetah drives that I booted up after almost a decade and they worked perfectly. You get what you pay for--the Cheetah drives were $1100 each back in the 90s.

Hello,

I've found this thread on ascii.textfiles.com (Jason Scott's blog: http://ascii.textfiles.com/archives/2672) and I have to say it made my week. I love reading these old magazines and see how technology evolved - here in Romania where I live we only got some rare imports of Byte, usually also very expensive, and the other IT magazines focused more on general IT news, product reviews and so on.

I'd like to give back a little so I've mirrored the files on a dedicated server:

ftp:// helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/

Please copy the link, remove the space and paste it in a new browser window/tab or in your favourite FTP client/download manager. It's configured to accept 2 downloads at the same time from the same IP and up to 20 simultaneous connections, so at least 10 people at a time should be able to download files easily and fast - server is on a 100 mbps unmetered connection in Holland.

Feel free to publish the link in the first post but please don't make it clickable, I don't want it indexed by search engines.

I've also uploaded the files posted so far on Rapidshare, using my own premium account, so there is not wait time and you'll get the maximum speed possible (if you're in Europe at least).

The RS links for each pdf are in the only text file in the FTP folder. I'd rather not post them here and look like I'm spamming links. If a mod/admin or OP says it's OK I can also post them.

OP, if you wish I can create an account on the FTP server so you can upload the PDF files directly to it and take the strain off your computers.

I'm glad you've joined us. :) Just in time! My poor little server is getting hammered like never before. It actually got stuck mid-reboot earlier this morning, so all my mirrors were down for a good 8hrs. :(

Or if the drive has failed. Drives are built no-where near as well as they once were. I have an 80gb that's not even 5yrs old that was filled and put away start clicking when I went to retrieve the data. I have a SCSI raid full of 9gb 2nd generation Seagate Cheetah drives that I booted up after almost a decade and they worked perfectly. You get what you pay for--the Cheetah drives were $1100 each back in the 90s.

I just buy the USB drives in pairs - AND ONLY IN PAIRS. Last year, $70 each for 1TB USB externals, each a copy of the other. This year, $60 each for 2TB USB externals, each a copy of the other. Not likely to lose data this way. If I get nervous, then I'll have to buy them in triplicate, but so far, so good, and I think the liklihood both will fail is next to nil. One lives in the original box, and I rotate them once in a while. As soon as one fails, I will buy a new pair and hopefully the surviving drive will live long enough to pull the data off it. For $1100 worth of 2TB drives, I don't think I'd ever worry, though.

I'm glad you've joined us. :) Just in time! My poor little server is getting hammered like never before. It actually got stuck mid-reboot earlier this morning, so all my mirrors were down for a good 8hrs. :(

I wrote this before but incase it was missed (Actually i think thumpnugget is away right?). if the front links are switched to

http://files.exotica.org.uk/byte/

I can balance the traffic between us somewhat.

I wrote this before but incase it was missed (Actually i think thumpnugget is away right?). if the front links are switched to

Only cell phone access right now :)

I just buy the USB drives in pairs - AND ONLY IN PAIRS. Last year, $70 each for 1TB USB externals, each a copy of the other. This year, $60 each for 2TB USB externals, each a copy of the other. Not likely to lose data this way. If I get nervous, then I'll have to buy them in triplicate, but so far, so good, and I think the liklihood both will fail is next to nil. One lives in the original box, and I rotate them once in a while. As soon as one fails, I will buy a new pair and hopefully the surviving drive will live long enough to pull the data off it. For $1100 worth of 2TB drives, I don't think I'd ever worry, though.
I used to do that until I found files miscomparing between drives. I've got two full 640gb drives that I compare every year. And every year I find a file or two that miscompare. Luckily, I pull this from a third backup to figure out which file was correct and which was wrong. These are Seagate/Maxtor SATA drives formatted NTFS. And the crazy thing is I've seen the same thing on a pair of 160gb drives that were IDE and formatted FAT32. I think as areal densities have increased, the error rate has stayed the same, so the likelyhood of having an error has increased even though the error rate spec has stayed the same.

I use three Western Digital RE3 drives manually mirrored and am transferring all of my usb drive pairs to them. Data migration sucks.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the added bandwidth. I've updated the thread start with the new address. Also thanks for the pointer over to the article. I'm not sure how I feel about my nickname over there (Scanner-Destroyer). They are very serious about their archiving! I'm trying to figure out a costume that fits that description for next Halloween :) I did leave a comment yesterday but the moderator has not approved it as of yet.

BTW: One of the observations from the article said that the resolution on the BYTE PDFs was not good enough to read the smallest print. I have not seen an issue with this - I found the smallest example of text I could find when I started this whole thing and made sure it was easily readable. I could have missed something smaller... Has anyone found any text they can't read easily if they zoom up? My assumption is that he was looking at the example pages given in each magazine introduction which are less than 1/2 of the PDF resolution.

Updated! Thanks much!

BYTE Vol 00-08 1976-04 Automation - 100 Pages 58,220,082 bytes

BYTE Vol 00-08 from April 1976... Now THAT is an awesome cover! I thought Jaws was released in 1977 so now I know where Spielberg got the idea for the main Jaws poster :) Make sure you read the "Letters" column in this issue - lots of stuff about star trek and space war games. The article on the magic of computer languages was also very good. The rest is awesome fodder for the low-level hardware guys.

A few nice little diddies from page 16:

Glorobots

Rx

A robot was having conniptions

at reading handwritten inscriptions,

but acquired the knack

by decoding a stack

of typical doctor prescriptions.

Evolution

A self-evolved robot named Babbitt,

because of his dubious habit

of unbridled mating

and self-propagating,

was housed in a hutch like a rabbit.

Hear Ye Hear Ye

The sensory robots are near,

but will not be ready this year,

for each of them tries

to eat with his eyes,

and cocks his nose trying to hear.

In this issue....

Foreground

BIORHYTHM FOR COMPUTERS

HOW TO BUILD A MEMORY WITH ONE LAYER PRINTED CIRCUITS

AARGH! (or, HOW TO AUTOMATE PROM BURNING WITHOUT EML)

CONTROLLING EXTERNAL DEVICES WITH HOBBYIST COMPUTERS

INTERFACE AN ASCII KEYBOARD TO A 60 mA TTY LOOP

DESIGN AN ON LINE DEBUGGER

I0 STROBES FOR THE ALTAIR 8800

SAVE MONEY USING MINI WIRE WRAP

Background

PROGRAMMING THE IMPLEMENTATION

THE MAGIC OF COMPUTER LANGUAGES

THE SR-52: ANOTHER WORLD'S SMALLEST

FRANKENSTEIN EMULATION

MICROPROCESSOR UPDATE: TEXAS INSTRUMENTS TMS9900

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Customization-The Expression of Individuality

Letters

Space Ace Revisited

What's New

BYTE's Bits

Technology Update

BYTE's Bugs

Classified Ads

Book Review

Clubs, Newsletters

BOMB

Reader's Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-08 1976-04 Automation

Cover

post-12606-129631460766_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129631462133_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 00-11 1976-07 Core Memories - 116 Pages 68,658,493 bytes

BYTE Vol 00-08 from July 1976... Everything you wanted to know about ferrite core memories (and more) but were afraid to ask... Learn about the 8080 and learn machine language for the 8008.. make a do-everything chips and a cassette interface.. .Design your own printed circuits and yes another multi-page article on generating characters.

The "Ask BYTE" column talks about fixed-length records versus variable length records.

Foreground

COINCIDENT CURRENT FERRITE CORE MEMORIES

EXPLORE AN 8080 WITH EDUCATOR-8080

THE "IGNORANCE IS BLISS" TV DRIVE CIRCUIT

WHY WAIT? BUILD A FAST CASSETTE INTERFACE

Background

ASSEMBLING A SPHERE

MACHINE LANGUAGE PROGRAMMING FOR THE "8008"-Chapter 1

PUT THE "DO EVERYTHING" CHIP IN YOUR NEXT DESIGN

SURPLUS ELECTRONICS IN TOKYO AND MANI LA

MAKE YOUR OWN PRINTED CIRCUITS

A PLOT IS INCOMPLETE WITHOUT CHARACTERS

Nucleus

In This BYTE

The Trend Toward Hassle Free Products

Tool Box

BYTE's Bits

Good Grief!

What's New?

Software Bug of the Month 2

What Happened at Trenton

Clubs, Newsletters

Letters

Ask BYTE

Reader's Service

Classified Ads

BYTE's Bugs

Book Reviews

BOMB

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-11 1976-07 Core Memories

Cover

post-12606-129631588889_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129631590974_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 00-13 1976-09 Bicentennial - 132 Pages 77,169,682 bytes

BYTE Vol 00-13 from September 1976... And yet another awesome cover but Ug! This issue will hurt your brain. obtaining "random" number sequences which unfun looking math, building your own math circuits in hardware, A star trek trainer, number conversions with a plethora of flow charts, detailed pin-out of the Z-80, programming the 8008 in machine language, much more..

Foreground

BUILD THIS MATHEMATICAL FUNCTION UNIT-Part 1

RANDOMIZE YOUR PROGRAMMING

A BASIC STAR TREK TRAINER

HOW TO DO A NUMBER OF CONVERSIONS

THE CIRCUIT FOR Z-80s

A FLAMELESS IC RECYCLING TRICK

AMSAT 8080 STANDARD DEBUG MONITOR: AMS80 VERSION 2

Background

ARE YOU AN AUTHOR?

THE MSC 8080+ MICROPROCESSOR AS A PERSONAL SYSTEM

MICROPROCESSOR UPDATE: SC/MP FILLS A GAP

MACHINE LANGUAGE PROGRAMMING FOR THE "8008"-Chapter 3

Nucleus

In This BYTE

Come One, Come All!

Letters

Software Bug of the Month 4

BYTE's Bits

What's New?

Classified Ads

Clubs, Newsletters

Programming Quickies

BOMB

Reader's Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-13 1976-09 Bicentennial

Cover

post-12606-129644873763_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129644876747_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 00-14 1976-10 Ham Radio - 148 Pages 87,059,411 bytes

BYTE Vol 00-14 from October 1976... Wow now this is a lot of information about Morse code. Morse vcode this, Morse code that.. Morse Mores Morse! They must have put out a call for Ham radio related content and everyone had similar ideas... Anyway a fun read with as always. There was an interesting article about computers moving to personal use.. A quote that was pulled in the the article:

Imagine a Community Information

Exchange, complete

with telecommunications

access ports, mass

storage and an accounting

algorithm to keep track of

operating expenses attributed

to each user's activities.

Crazy Talk!

Foreground

ADD THIS 6800 MORSER TO YOUR AMATEUR RADIO STATION

IF ONLY SAM MORSE COULD SEE US NOW

A MORSE CODE STATION DATA HANDLER

BUILD THIS MATHEMATICAL FUNCTION UNIT- Part 2

Background

THE COMPUTER ... VERSUS ... HAND SENT MORSE CODE

A HAM'S APPLICATION DREAMS

EFFICIENT STORAGE OF MORSE CHARACTER CODES

KEEP PACE WITH THE TIMES

HOMEBREWERY VS THE SOFTWARE PRIESTHOOD

MEETING ACTIVITIES FOR COMPUTER CLUBS

Nucleus

In This BYTE

The Concertina System

Letters

Software Bug of the Month 5

Some Historical Notes

What's New?

BYTE's Bits

Classified Ads

Programming Quickies

Book Reviews

KilO'Byte

Travel logue

Excerpts from Future Hi story

Clubs, Newsletters

BOMB

Reader Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 00-14 1976-10 Ham Radio

Cover

post-12606-129652245076_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129652247134_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

BYTE Vol 02-02 1977-02 Usable Systems - 164 Pages 99,956,448 bytes

BYTE Vol 02-02 from Ferruary 1977... Personal Computer - Sytems that are usable my the masses. What could prove that more than an auto-line generator for the SYS-8 with Neil Diamond belting out "Sweet Auto Line" oh yeah... Once again brainy articles on television interference, cassette interfacing, and serial storage media... and don't forget a look at the F8 article about the processor used on the Odyssey 2 game machine.

Foreground

SWEET AUTO LINE

BUILD THIS ECONOMY FLOPPY DISK INTERFACE

AUDIBLE INTERRUPTS FOR HUMANS

THE IMPOSSIBLE DREAM CASSETTE INTERFACE

CALCULATOR KEYBOARD INPUT FOR THE MICROCOMPUTER

ADD SOME BARC TO YOUR 8080

Background

THE DIGITAL CASSETTE SUBSYSTEM , Part 1

COLOR DISPLAYS ON BLACK AND WHITE TELEVISION SETS

SERIAL STORAGE MEDIA: Introduction and Glossary

CUB 54, WHERE ARE YOU? (Or How to Navigate Using Mini-O)

MICROPROCESSOR UPDATE: THE F8 SYSTEM

A MIKBUG ROADMAP

TTL LOADING CONSIDERATIONS

Nucleus

In This BYTE

An Idea Whose Time Has Come!

Letters

Ask BYTE

What's New?

Baker Street Irregular

Classified Ads

Description: A Multi Cassette Controller

Clubs, Newsletters

Book Reviews

BYTE's Bugs

Further Notes on Bar Codes

Kilo'Byte

BYTE's Bits

The Word "Byte" Comes of Age

About the Cover - Venus de Piotto

BOMB

Reader's Service

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-02 1977-02 Usable Systems

Cover

post-12606-129652996313_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129652997681_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

OK! That is is for the next few weeks.. Feels good to have 1976 completed.. I was going to save the Vol 2-2 until I returned but there was a specific request for it so there was not much point in letting it sit around :)

Looks like there is some heavy bandwidth happening right now.. The upload looks good.. Just slow right now.. be patient.

ThumpNugget,

I've been avidly reading some of these old Bytes, and you've done a fantastic job on them. So great to see how things used to be.

Hoping you run across the Byte AI issue they did in maybe 86 - 87 time frame, as I wrote a uni project off that...

Thanks so much for what you've been doing, it's been awesome reading some of these old articles.

BYTE Vol 04-06 1979-06 Artificial Intelligence - 288 Pages 184,211,897 bytes

Download it here: BYTE Vol 04-06 1979-06 Artificial Intelligence

Cover

post-12606-129557365232_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-129557382142_thumb.jpg

Double page sticking problem in the 159-164 range. Those pages need to be re-scanned.

(It's kind of easy to notice when the page size in the PDF is taller and you're reading in side-by-side mode.)

Anyhow, I think this was the first issue I ever had back in the day.

Unfortunately I tossed the issue out.. I saved all the recent ones but this one for some reason... Have to wait for another to pop up to make the corrections.

I can grab those pages when I get back home to Portland. Practically living in my "second home" in Cupertino right now.... :-(

• Like 1