IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Hey ThumpNugget, awesome project you have going on here, and much appreciated! I have few BYTE mags that I almost threw out, then I started reading them... ;-) I wanted to start scanning them but never got around to it. I'll check my issues and see if I have any you may be missing. I think you had a list on the first few posts of this thread, is it still accurate?

I also wanted to start scanning my books, but that seemed even more of an impossibility, until I found the DIY Book Scanner. Have you seen it?

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

I'm planning on building one as soon as I finish a few other projects on my plate (too many projects.) Aside from the hardware there is information and discussions on software, work flow, etc. You may find it useful.

Since I just found this thread and only skimmed through the 21 pages of posts, I didn't see a post where you discussed your setup? I would be interested in some of the details about your workflow, software you are using, etc. if you don't mind sharing the details?

Hi people! Well.. I am back and my home IP is still being blocked by AtariAge. I've sent a whiney PM-plea to Al but as of yet he has not read it. I am sture he get mutlitudes of PMs everyday so I'm not sure how to get mine noticed :ponder: I'll keep bugging him. I can log in via a proxy but none of them will allow me to put up attachments..

I was going to post a couple of BYTES up at work today but forgot to put the cover/index pics on my thumbdrive :roll: If you are REALLY dying for a new mag to read: BYTE Vol 10-08 1985-08 The Amiga.

On another note: I've been contacted by the current BYTE content owners (a representative anyway). Nothing bad and potentially really really cool!

Edited by ThumpNugget
  • Like 1

On another note: I've been contacted by the current BYTE content owners (a representative anyway). Nothing bad and potentially really really cool!

Well hopefully, but, in my observations, once this happens, the best free projects always seem to go downhill sooner or later. Trouble seems to start at the first moment of contact by a seemingly harmless representative. And she usually has some agenda she is ordered to present. If she doesn't get it (from you) then her superiors start messing around with whatever's going on. You haven't been told yet, but I bet there's a "stop-scan" order waiting. I'm surprised it took this long.

That's all my opinion though and perhaps I'm wrong..

Well anyways hope you had a nice vacation.

Edited by Keatah

There are two ways to get work done in a computer, do it in software or do it in hardware.

The first way gives you super flexibility.

The second way gives you more speed.

And that is why the Amiga failed. Everything was fixed in ROM and the hardware layout. Making it go faster would mean redesigning everything! Now with the Mac, you could just get a faster processor so-to-speak and it's supporting hardware(which was a lot of off-the-shelf hardware). You could then add the capabilities through software.

That also means you could add capabilities (and sometimes speed through more efficient programming) piecemeal, a bit here, a bit there.

Changing Amiga around means you'd have to not only upgrade the processor, but all the custom chips along with it. A MAJOR hassle if there ever was one. Not to mention a costly undertaking.

You haven't been told yet, but I bet there's a "stop-scan" order waiting. I'm surprised it took this long.

My, such dire predictions!

It seems reasonable to me that if there was a "cease and desist" order, it would have been given. If the rumor that they're considering (or working) on relaunching the BYTE brand in another magazine or webpage, I should think the scans of the old mags are the BEST ADVERTISING they could get. Hell, the old mags from the heyday of the publication make me sorry it was gone. Why are you so negative on this? He said the contact was positive, did he not? Let's let the future of this unfold as it will, and based on what we have heard (albeit not much, but positive) rather than pure negative speculation.

You haven't been told yet, but I bet there's a "stop-scan" order waiting. I'm surprised it took this long.

Why are you so negative on this? He said the contact was positive, did he not? Let's let the future of this unfold as it will, and based on what we have heard (albeit not much, but positive) rather than pure negative speculation.

Positive, sure, it starts that way. Then comes the fine print. I would guess a stop-scan could be instituted if he ain't gonna comply with whatever they're getting ready to feed him.. Why am I so negative? Big corporations always do something to damage the little guy, or silence them, or control them. Just my general observation. We shall see!

BYTE Vol 10-08 1985-08 The Amiga - 442 Pages 297,937,893 bytes

FEATURES

INTRODUCTION

THE AMIGA PERSONAL COMPUTER

CIARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD THE BASIC-52 COMPUTER/CONTROLLER

THE D51-32 COPROCESSOR BOARD, PART I: THE HARDWARE

PROGRAMMING PROJECT: CONTEXT-FREE PARSING OF ARITHMETIC EXPRESSIONS

THEMES

INTRODUCTION

PROLOG GOES TO WORK

LOGIC PROGRAMMING

DECLARATIVE LANGUAGES: AN OVERVIEW

PROGRAM TRANSFORMATION

FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING USING FP

A HOPE TUTORIAL

REVIEWS

INTRODUCTION

REVIEWER'S NOTEBOOK

THE TANDY 1000

IBM PASCAL 2.00

REVIEW FEEDBACK

KERNEL

INTRODUCTION

COMPUTING AT CHAOS MANOR: THE WEST COAST COMPUTER FAIRE

BYTE JAPAN: COMDEX IN JAPAN

BYTE U.K.: DECLARATIVE UPDATE

ACCORDING TO WEBSTER: GREETINGS AND AGITATIONS

BYTE WEST COAST: NEW MICROPROCESSOR CHIPS

CIRCUIT CELLAR FEEDBACK

BYTELINES

DEPARTMENTS

EDITORIAL: A VERY SPECIAL ISSUE

MICROBYTES

LETTERS

FIXES AND UPDATES

WHATS NEW

BOOK REVIEWS

ASK BYTE

UNCLASSIFIED ADS

BYTES ONGOING MONITOR BOX: BOMB Results

READER SERVICE

Download it here: BYTE Vol 10-08 1985-08 The Amiga

Cover

post-12606-0-41168700-1308148818_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-31207900-1308148832_thumb.jpg

post-12606-0-69534600-1308148841_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

BYTE Vol 10-08 1985-08 The Amiga - 442 Pages 297,937,893 bytes

FEATURES

INTRODUCTION

THE AMIGA PERSONAL COMPUTER

CIARCIA'S CIRCUIT CELLAR: BUILD THE BASIC-52 COMPUTER/CONTROLLER

THE D51-32 COPROCESSOR BOARD, PART I: THE HARDWARE

PROGRAMMING PROJECT: CONTEXT-FREE PARSING OF ARITHMETIC EXPRESSIONS

Hey ThumpNugget,

Glad you are back. Hope your vacation went well. Never been to South America, seems like fun.

It looks like you got them to stop blocking your IP. What was it? or did you find a proxy that let you post?

Again, thanks a lot for your work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ThumpNugget for the latest Byte covering the Amiga! Very fond memories of that one :-)

Sob!! Today I sold my complete collection of Byte magazines - it was very hard to see them go, but I feel good that they've gone to one of the people on this forum and a nice guy that seems genuinely interested in them as a collector, hope he gets as much enjoyment from them as I have over the last few years.

I still have many more extra copies that I'm willing to donate (and pay shipping) to ThumpNugget for the cause, and will get a list of the remaining issues out as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Hey there.. Thanks much for the offer :) The list at the start of the topic is no longer accurate - about 20 magazines are missing from it but I no longer have the ability to edit it. I'll get a current list together.

I will get another mag put up tomorrow.. I know I have been slacking lately :)

BYTE Vol 02-07 1977-07 Model Railroads - 180 Pages 111,088,958 bytes

FOREGROUND

HOW TO COMPUTERIZE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD

THIS CIRCUIT MULTIPLIES

THE TV OSCILLOSCOPE

SPEECH RECOGNITION FOR A PERSONAL COMPUTER SYSTEM

A MACHINE CODE RELOCATOR FOR THE 8080

HOW FAR-WHICH WAY?

ADD CURSOR CONTROL TO YOUR TVT II

GIVING KIM SOME FANCY JEWELS

BACKGROUND

CONDENSED REFERENCE CHART FOR THE 6800

A TRAIN CONTROL DISPLAY USING THE LSI-11 MICROCOMPUTER

HOW TO PICK UP A DROPPED BIT

GIVE YOUR MICRO A MEGABYTE

AN INTRODUCTION TO NUMBERS

BASICally BASIC

NUCLEUS

In This BYTE

Classified Ads

This Elephant Never Forgets

PAPERBYTES Forum

Letters

Programming Quickies

West Coast Computer Faire

Book Reviews

What's New?

BYTE's Bits

Technical Forum

PAPERBYTES: Floppy Disk

Ask BYTE Object Code

BYTE's Bugs

Clubs, Newsletters

Desk Top Wonders: Jeu de

BOMB

NIM, Peut Etre?

Download it here: BYTE Vol 02-07 1977-07 Model Railroads

Cover

post-12606-0-48993900-1309293161_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-46257400-1309293169_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks ThumpNugget for the latest Byte covering the Amiga! Very fond memories of that one :-)

Sob!! Today I sold my complete collection of Byte magazines - it was very hard to see them go, but I feel good that they've gone to one of the people on this forum and a nice guy that seems genuinely interested in them as a collector, hope he gets as much enjoyment from them as I have over the last few years.

I still have many more extra copies that I'm willing to donate (and pay shipping) to ThumpNugget for the cause, and will get a list of the remaining issues out as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Haha! I suspect the 'nice guy' is selling the mags on ebay :-) Hopefully he gets a profit, my motivation for selling them was to free up some space in my office - and hey, I earned a couple of $100 on them and enjoyed reading them for a couple of years so good luck! XD

Thanks ThumpNugget for the latest Byte ...

Cheers!

'''

BTW, ThumpNugget, do you have a list of the Byte issues that you are missing? I also have a few copies, and my wife would be *MORE* than willing for me to send you some of my old magazines. Now that we have your project, I do not need the paper copies - although, as they say, there is nothing like curling up with a good mag :D

Thanks again, ThumpNugget. :cool:

Viewing these on my matte LCD brings back memories of the early 80's when I used to read BYTE, OMNI and Scientific American on microfiche at the library. It's almost identical - only in colour.

Now if somebody could just scan those early OMNI magazines...

Looks like BYTE Magazine has been relaunched. Jerry Pournelle just made the announcement on his blogsite, which I subscribe to.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/

Jerry Pournelle's blogsite is here: http://jerrypournell...e.c/chaosmanor/

After looking over the "beta" BYTE site... for now it appears to be BYTE in name only. Having Pournelle and Tinney as contributors is a start, but ATM the site looks like just another tech blog. However, I'm going to keep checking back to see if and how the site differentiates itself from the overcrowded tech site genre. I've got my fingers crossed that it will offer something different than the same recycled PR and news available everywhere else :)

Edited by akator

I really don't have hope that look and feel of the original Byte will return. Other than having original contributors, the original Byte was in a bygone era. It was a time of exploration, a true paradigm shift, an exciting time.

Today, it's a throwaway society and nobody designs, builds computers and then experiments with them anymore. Nobody writes their own boot code. Computers are appliances - you just turn them on. They're tools to get something else done. We don't experiment with them anymore, hence the magic that comes with it doesn't exist enmasse as it once did. The closest people of today come to that is *assembling* pre-built components; this is in no way anywhere close to what hobbyists did back in the 70s and 80s.

Back then, computers were a means unto itself. We did it because of its own sake. It was fun, it was new, it was exciting. Today, computers are ho-hum.

I also don't see how this is going to be different than the zillions of other online magazines/blogs. However, I'll look forward to reading new articles by Jerry.

If you want to read and see what Dr. Pournelle has been up to the last 10 or 15 years, check out his blog. He still writes the same as he did back in the day...

Edited by jackb

Back then, computers were a means unto itself. We did it because of its own sake. It was fun, it was new, it was exciting. Today, computers are ho-hum.

That's one of the huge differences. Computers once were rare beasts and are becoming increasingly ubiquitous in our environments, just like the availability of indoor running water and electricity were once and are today.