IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Mmm... I would think AtariAge should get their act together and make an un-block exception, if indeed they are banning a whole range of IP's.. This is a wonderful service and should be made as easy and convenient as possible to carry out.

Maybe there's something that can be done with a proxy or vpn or something..?

I can get in with a proxy but there are some things that do not quite work right.. posting attachments does not work for example.. I am sure it is not my ISP blocking the site.. and I can walk down the street with my laptop and find a new network and it works fine so its nothing on my machines. I can perfrom traceroutes just fine from home. I tried several different dns servers.. I am guessing at this point that there is a block of IP addresses being blocked by either AtariAge or the provider AtariAge uses. I'v sent several PMs and gone through the "contact us" link. I've pretty much just given up at this point.

Well, I hope you don't give up. I think what you are doing is fantastic.

I wonder why Albert is ignoring this? Seems weird to me.

That's what I want to know, and why? AL??

we are down to 2 mirrors now. I have removed the last 3 mirrors from the redirector as they no longer work, and I have not been updated as to new addresses for them (It's annoying to keep changing them as they have dynamic ips anyway, so if they come back, can I ask the admin to setup some domain names for them and keep them updated)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps we should start an entire thread for Thumpnugget, about AtariAge blocking his IP. Then, maybe, some attention?

Please continue, Thumpnugget, with the Chris Crawford Atari articles-editions!

This is so awesome, that I can not thank you enough!

Perhaps we should start an entire thread for Thumpnugget, about AtariAge blocking his IP. Then, maybe, some attention?

I've contacted Al and he has looked into it, doesn't appear to be anything on the AA end.

So then where is the next place to look?

I think we need to start a "Thumpnugget Appreciation Thread." I'm sure it would get lots of posts!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi people.. Sorry the IP problem was fixed a couple of weeks back - the problem ended up being a piece of equipment at my ISP that was routing some packets in such a way that they were taking so many hops that they hit their TTL and were being dropped - it did not help that they had some internal routers set to drop packets at 16 hops. After that my main computer that I use for scanning would not turn on and I ended up getting new RAM, motherboard, and video board to get things working again.

On top of that I went on a short vacation and somehow the thought of BYTE never came up :)

I'll get another put up as soon as I'm done posting this.. Next vacation isn't until October so I should be be to get a decent amount done by then.

BYTE Vol 06-09 1981-09 Artificial Intelligence - 500 Pages 338,089,691 bytes

Excellent Issue! Must reads: Detailed overview of the Xerox Alto, Part 1 of the Atari Tutorial series, BYTE's Arcade (Big Five Software focus), NCC 81

FEATURES

A Look at NCC '81

Build an Unlimited-Vocabulary Speech Synthesizer

The Xerox Alto Computer

Tree Searching, Part 1: Basic Techniques

One Step Forward-Three Steps Backup, Computing In the US Space Program

Artificial Intelligence

A High-Level Language Benchmark

Science Fiction's Intelligent Computers

Symbolic Differentiation a la LISP

Knowledge-Based Expert Systems Come of Age

The Atari Tutorial, Part 1: The Display List

Natural-Language Processing, The Field In Perspective

The Emperor's Old Clothes

REVIEWS

The Big Board: A Z80 System in Kit Form

Misosys Software's DISKMOD: Put Radio Shack's Editor/Assembler on Disk

MINCE, A Text Editor

BYTE's Arcade: Big Five Software

Three Microcomputer LISPs

Interactive Fiction: Six Micro Stories

NUCLEUS

Editorial: Odds and Beginnings

Letters

Book Reviews: Principles of Artificial Intelligence; Turtle Geometry

BYTE's Bugs

Programming Ouickies: Changing a BASIC FOR , , , NEXT Loop into a REPEAT, , UNTIL Loop

BYTE LINES

Ask BYTE

Books Received

Clubs and Newsletters

Event Oueue

Software Received

BYTE's Bits

Technical Forum: Microcomputers and the IRS; Add Dual Trace and Delayed Sweep to Your

Oscilloscope; How to Build an Inexpensive Cassette Level Indicator

System Notes: An Almost Optimum l80 Memory Test Program

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

Reader Service

BOMB, BOMB Results

Download it here: BYTE Vol 06-09 1981-09 Artificial Intelligence

Cover

post-12606-0-65931000-1313880464_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-33465100-1313880478_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

On top of that I went on a short vacation and somehow the thought of BYTE never came up :)

I'll get another put up as soon as I'm done posting this.. Next vacation isn't until October so I should be be to get a decent amount done by then.

I thought, for an instant, you were getting into a rollercoaster with a circular head harness contraption.

I can't wait to get down to reading the space program microprocessors article, as well as the cassette level indicator.

Edited by Keatah

Ah, one of the great issues, thanks! Looking forward to read several of the articles.

I'm still looking for what I believe was an article in Byte no later than mid-1984, but I haven't found it. It may have been in another magazine, but I was so certain.. it was a programming article about how to write concurrent programs on a single-threaded, single-tasking architecture (as all of the micros were at the time). I used it as the main idea for a system I wrote for an Apple II in 1984, it would sample a lot of sensors, write data to floppy, and print results to a printer - all at the same time, and written in UCSD Pascal.

I've found the user manual I wrote for the client, if I could just find the article which gave me the idea for how to do it my nostalgia would (possibly) be satisfied.. I was so sure it was a Byte article. Can't check Personal Computer World issues, because there isn't a scanning project like this anywhere as far as I can tell.

And to think of all the magazines I threw away decades ago.. sure, I didn't really have room for them, but the stupidity of it. Of course, hindsight.. but I've realized that I've often regretted throwing things away, but I have never regretted keeping things (with the exception of cheese and vegetables past their time).

I'm afraid this realization may turn me into a nerdy obsessive collector for the rest of my available time. Hm.

-Tor

Ah, one of the great issues, thanks! Looking forward to read several of the articles.

I'm still looking for what I believe was an article in Byte no later than mid-1984, but I haven't found it. It may have been in another magazine, but I was so certain.. it was a programming article about how to write concurrent programs on a single-threaded, single-tasking architecture (as all of the micros were at the time). I used it as the main idea for a system I wrote for an Apple II in 1984, it would sample a lot of sensors, write data to floppy, and print results to a printer - all at the same time, and written in UCSD Pascal.

I've found the user manual I wrote for the client, if I could just find the article which gave me the idea for how to do it my nostalgia would (possibly) be satisfied.. I was so sure it was a Byte article. Can't check Personal Computer World issues, because there isn't a scanning project like this anywhere as far as I can tell.

And to think of all the magazines I threw away decades ago.. sure, I didn't really have room for them, but the stupidity of it. Of course, hindsight.. but I've realized that I've often regretted throwing things away, but I have never regretted keeping things (with the exception of cheese and vegetables past their time).

I'm afraid this realization may turn me into a nerdy obsessive collector for the rest of my available time. Hm.

-Tor

Tor,

Is the article you are talking about the one on page 452 of the May 1983 issue? It is titled "A Conceptual Approach to Real-Time Programming" and talks about modeling realtime systems as running on several processors, and then implementing the mutiple processors on a single processor. I just read the intro, and it sounds interesting.

Bill

Bill,

That is probably the article! Thanks!

The listing is what clued me in. There are two examples, one with co-routines and another which is interrupt-driven. What I implemented back then was based on co-routines. Each function contains a case-statement which depends on what we now would call a static state-indicator to decide which subcase to do. Then it sets the indicator to the next value and yields (returns). It looks like this is what I had been building on. Today it's of course identified as an implementation where every function is a state machine[1], and to get multiprocessing you simply cycle through all the functions in a main loop. One function checks input from keyboard, another would read that I/O I mentioned, another function prints to the printer, another saves data to floppy, and so on.

[1]

What's special about the method the article described is that what each function does changes for each call. The function would be implemented in such a way that it only does a part of its job, then set its state to the next stage, then it yields and return to the main loop. At the next call it does the next stage of its job. Simple stuff really, but back then what I had previously done on microcomputers was all singlethreaded. After all, the uC operating systems were basically just glorified program launchers and (barely) file i/o library interfaces.

From the user manual I wrote it looks like I added a setting which told how often each function would be called in the mainloop so that it was easy to balance the activities. I haven't actually found my old software yet, it may be stored away on some Apple-format floppy somewhere. Still looking. I remember that a few years later I received a note from one of the scientists using that Apple II data collection system. He got his PhD from the data, so it must have worked! :-)

That's what magazines like Byte did back then. They printed these nuggets all the time, and the legions of programmers in this new field of programmable microcomputers would get inspired and create something bigger from it. Later, it must be said, Byte went the way of all other magazines (they all[2] did, eventually): They focused more and more on some 'review' of some new application or product by some company. Sometimes it would be useful, like the early review of Turbo Pascal. Later it would all be about applications for stuff that weren't particularly interesting for programmers, and a while after this happened to a magazine it would disappear or fade into the background. It still happens with today's magazines. [2]I guess DDJ tried to hold on to that original for-programmer's tradition for as long as it existed.

-Tor

Edited by Tor

BYTE Vol 06-10 1981-10 Local Networks - 530 Pages 345,696,275 bytes

When bookmarking these things I get a fairly good idea how "feature-rich" an issue is. The last 100-200 pages are sometimes only ads and continuation of articles. This issue has about the highest content - ad ratio I have seen in a BYTE magazine. Straight content all the way through! The biggie of course: Part 2 of the Atari tutorial. This was also the last issue before the IBM PC was released and there is an article about this new computer. Look through the contents and ooh and aah!

FEATURES

The IBM Personal Computer: First Impressions

Build an Intelligent EPROM Programmer

The Atari Tutorial, Part 2: Graphics Indirection

Local-Area Networks, Possibilities for Personal Computers

Prepare Your Program for Publication.

Software Protection In the United Kingdom

Network Tools, Ideas for Intelligent Network Software

A Simple Implementation of Multitasking

Tree Searching. Part 2: Heuristic Techniques

Drawing with UCSD Pascal and the Hplot Plotter

Evaluate Your Home's Energy Efficiency, Conserve Energy with Your Computer

Bridging the 10-Percent Gap

Graphics Fundamentals

Build a Versatile Keyboard Interface for the S-I00

PERT Organization

Should the DO Loop Become an Assembly-language Construct?

Multiple Regression for the TRS-80

Bits and Bytes In Pascal, and Other Binary Wonders

Apple Analog-to-Digltal Conversion In 27 Microseconds

PS - A FORTH-like Threaded Language, Part I

REVIEWS

Atari's Telelink I

Integral Data's Paper Tiger 460

The Mauro Proac Plotter

The Radio Shack FORTRAN Package

NUCLEUS

Editorial

Letters

System Notes: List Pager

A Z80 Monitor Program

A Closer Look at the TRS-80 Color Computer

Two Short Graphics Programs for the OSI C-1P

Recursive Procedures for the 6502 Processor

Software Received

Books Received

BYTELINES

Ask BYTE

Event Oueue

Clubs and Newsletters

BYTE's Bits

Book Reviews: Four Roads to Understanding Radio Shack's TRS-80

Memory Manipulator, Eliminate Hex-a-Phobia

A Fast. Ancient Method for Multiplication

Apple Pascal Cross-Reference

Use a Relative Subroutine

Call for Relocatable Z80 Programs

The Variable-Duty-Cycle Algorithm

Dynamic Simulation in BASIC

BASIC, Pascal, o r Tiny-c? A Simple Bench marking Comparison

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

Reader Service

BOMB, BOMB Results

Download it here:BYTE Vol 06-10 1981-10

Cover

post-12606-0-83669700-1314455721_thumb.jpg

Index

post-12606-0-85209100-1314455748_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I just love this quote from one of the ads in the volume:

ANTI-OBSOLESCENCE/LOW-PRICED

As you can see, the new One offers you a lot of

performance. It's obviously designed with anti-

obsolescence in mind.

What's more, it's priced at only $3,995. That's

considerably less than many machines with much

less capability. And it's not that much more than

many machines that have little or nothing in the

way of expandability.

Physically, the One is small- 7" high. And it's all-

metal in construction. It's only 141/8" wide, ideal for

desk top use. A rack mount option is also available.

It must have been obsolete within the year.

BYTE Vol 06-11 1981-11 Data-Base Systems - 572 Pages 377,738,581 bytes

Sorry about the cover on this one, it was a bit haggard.. Anyway one issue later, 40 more pages, lots more ads.. I liked the content less than the last issue but still pretty good - DB software has just never really excited me but if it excites you this is your issue:) Part 3 of the Atari Tutorials are in this issue.

FEATURES

Writing with a Data-Base Management System

Switching Power Supplies, An Introduction

Fundamentals of Relational Data Organization

Build a Bar-Code Scanner Inexpensively

The Microcomputer as a Laboratory Instrument

Data-Base Management Systems: Powerful Newcomers to Microcomputers

DIF: A Format for Data Exchange between Applications Programs

A Survey of Data-Base Management Systems for Microcomputers

PDQ: A Data Manager for Beginners, Don't Reinvent the Wheel

The Atarl Tutorial, Part 3: Player-Missile Graphics

Toward a Structured 6B09 Assembly Language, Part I: An Introduction to Structured Assembly Language

PROLOG, A Step Toward the Ultimate Computer Language

PS-A FORTH-LIke Threaded Language, Part 2

Linking a Pascal Microengine to a Cyber 170

Information Hiding In Pascal, Packages and Pointers

REVIEWS

Reversal, Othello for the Apple II by Mark Friedman

The Exatron Stringy Floppy Data-Storage System

The Datahandler from Miller Microcomputer Services

Microsoft Softcard

CourseWare Magazine

Orchestra-80

Apple II File-Management Systems

ENHBAS

Five Spelling-Correction Programs for CP/M Systems

NUCLEUS

Editorial: Can We Agree on Standards?

Letters

BYTE's Bits

BYTE Comment: Reviewing the Microcomputer Revolution

BYTELINES

Ask BYTE

Languages Forum: A View from the Lectern: What's Wrong with Technical Writing Today?

Technical Forum: Where Am I? A Proposal for a New Microprocessor Instruction

Programming Quickies: WRITELONG, A Pascal Simulation of Long-Integer Output

User's Column

Book Reviews

Software Received

Clubs and Newsletters

Event Queue

Books Received

System Notes: A Voice for the Apple II without Extra Hardware

What's New?

Unclassified Ads

Reader Service