IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Thanks for the reply, I'm gradually getting through the '77 issues and wondering if the "1977 Trinity" quote might have been made after the year had passed.

I may have more time consuming downloading and reading to do than I first thought. :(

Edited by RoryM

I'm pretty sure I've read "1977 Trinity" in one of my BYTE magazines from 1979 (or was it 1980? I have no BYTE magazines before 1979 so it's not earlier). I think it was in the BYTE Editor notes in the first few pages of the magazine.

I definitely remember reading it, but that's as close as my vague memory can take me.

I'm pretty sure I've read "1977 Trinity" in one of my BYTE magazines from 1979 (or was it 1980? I have no BYTE magazines before 1979 so it's not earlier). I think it was in the BYTE Editor notes in the first few pages of the magazine.

I definitely remember reading it, but that's as close as my vague memory can take me.

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll check out the 1979 issues next, then the 1980 ones if need be.

The wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia....sonal_computers cites an article called "Most Important Companies" from the September 1995 issue of byte, but the link is broken. I'm not sure if that was the first reference or not.

Yeah, I checked out the link via the Internet Archive when I first read about "1977 Trinity, but it's just a reference, it doesn't say which issue the quote was made in.

The search goes on...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up... i will attempt to mirror tosteve's scans at the ftp address in the first post, so if for any reasons his site or downloads don't work, try the alternative.

tosteve, if you have a problem with this please let me know and I'll back off or follow your instructions. Otherwise, i'd appreciate it if you post here at least once in a while, when you publish new issues, so I can copy them there as well.

Oh.. and thank you!

Edited by mariush

Hello,

Yes, I will be scanning and posting more BYTEs, once my new fancy, heavy duty paper cutter arrives, so I can de-spine those magazines in one swipe. I hate to do it, but it's the only way. After that, they will be unceremoniously disposed of, unless someone wants them.

Actually, no issues from the 1970's will be destroyed - those will be kept intact. Most issues from the 1980's will be sacrificed.

I will take special requests, to give priority to specific issues.

Edited by tosteve

All the scanned issues are at the ftp address in the first post.. oh well, posting it here again: ftp://helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/

I've added now a text file with the file names, it's called !filelist.txt (should be listed at the top)

By the way... not sure if people know...

The "Other" and "Other 2" folder in the ftp address above contains some Byte magazines that were retrieved from some people, so there may be issues there that were not scanned by Thumpnugget or Tosteve.

"Other 2" is a copy of "Other" folder obtained from another source, some pdf files in the "Other" folder were corrupted so I copied the same content from a second person that had them, but I did not have the time yet to manually check each pdf and see what's corrupted or not.

Anyone knows of an archive or scanns of the early Dr Dobb's journal, the issues from the 70's and early 80's ?

/BR

I also have been looking for the early issues of DDJ. Mostly I am interested in the very first issues; those dealing with writing your own Tiny BASIC interpreters.

If anyone has any of these, or knows where we can get them, I would appreciate your letting us know.