IGNORED

BYTE Magazine

Thanks to everyone who donated bandwidth. I was trying to download some of the issues and it seems that all of the links are dead except for the UK one (files.exotica.org.uk). It would be nice to have an ftp link working again.

my http mirror is active -

http://malus.exotica....uk/~buzz/byte/

and a slower ftp mirror at my house -

ftp://aero.oxfordins...magazines/byte/

files.exotica.org.uk is just a redirector. it randomly redirects between the first link and ftp://helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/ so that we share the bandwidth.

Edited by exobuzz

I don't know what he's talking about - the ftp location I'm providing (and referenced in the post above) is still working just fine and it's linked in the first post of this thread. There's currently 5 separate downloads of these pdf files as I type this.

Sorry for the false alarm. It seems to be working now. It wasn't working the other day but maybe that was my connection. Thanks for providing ftp access.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Yes, I will be scanning and posting more BYTEs, once my new fancy, heavy duty paper cutter arrives, so I can de-spine those magazines in one swipe. I hate to do it, but it's the only way.

http://www.diybookscanner.org/

There is a lot of automation information in the forum too. Nice project and an excellent way to scan books and magazines without destroying them. It also produces seriously good results.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one that I recently added to the collection as a way of saying thanks:

Excellent job! Color looks real good and I didn't notice any bleeding from the opposite side. I think I would have gone with a slightly higher resolution but that's only because I like to zoom in on screenshots and ads sometimes. But it does make it a small file.

Just one thing. PDF pages 134 and 404 are rotated 90 degrees for no reason. Also looks like BYTE's printer screwed up when making the plates. Extreme right and sometimes bottom is missing black. Never seen that before.

I really hope you're able to scan more. These scans are VERY popular. A quick look at the torrents I mentioned above are proof of that!! If you find you become flooded with BYTE magazines to scan I'll gladly help out. :)

• 1 month later...

ThumpNugget: Last Active Sept 24, 2011 6:28PM

Man, that's too bad. I can't believe it's been that long. ThumpNugget really made a HUGE contribution to this hobby of "collecting old computer magazine PDFs" I wonder what happened to him?

But somebody else has, evidently, been scanning these mags. I checked that telnet link (a few messages above) a few days ago, there were several I didn't have. I just checked again and there were perhaps 5 more added, since then.

Thanks, to whoever you are!!!!!

• Like 2

For those that don't know, new scans have been appearing almost daily on helpedia.com.

ftp> dir /pub/archive/temp/Byte/Uploads\ 2012
227 Entering Passive Mode (94,100,29,123,239,212)
150 Connection accepted
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  140073011 Jun 03  2012 BYTE Vol 09-01 1984-01 1984 And Beyond.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   48662985 Aug 30 10:37 BYTE-1977-03.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   84894726 Aug 30 11:02 BYTE-1977-11.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   66758990 Aug 31 10:41 BYTE-1978-04.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   71103268 Sep 01 11:53 BYTE-1978-05.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   67629366 Sep 02 22:38 BYTE-1978-07.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   65825095 Sep 03 21:47 BYTE-1978-10.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   67686026 Sep 04 20:57 BYTE-1978-11.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   80346573 Sep 05 19:46 BYTE-1978-12.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   99618604 Sep 06 10:02 BYTE-1979-07.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	   89232899 Sep 07 10:35 BYTE-1979-08.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  110087608 Sep 08 18:56 BYTE-1979-10.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  113456908 Sep 09 21:18 BYTE-1979-12.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  151602917 Sep 11 01:39 BYTE-1980-11.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  177004566 Sep 11 22:34 BYTE-1982-02.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  201425864 Sep 13 10:34 BYTE-1982-04.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  191247206 Sep 14 09:16 BYTE-1982-05.pdf
-r--r--r-- 1 ftp ftp	  192486626 Sep 15 12:00 BYTE-1982-08.pdf
226 Transfer OK

Thank you tosteve! (or whoever is responsible) It's nice to have you back!

Jim

• Like 1

I've been snagging issues from here, there's quite a few of them. Too bad it doesn't seem to have anything past 1985.

http://maben.homeip....BYTE/index.html

I'm not sure what the speed of this connection was like prior to this post, but suspect it's being hit pretty heavily. What is the quality of the scans like? I didn't manage to download any in three attempts as the downloads stalled. Perhaps you can upload any of the ones missing from hepedia.com (above) to a site with better bandwidth?

I'm going to attempt to contact the people on this maben site to see if they would be interested in providing us with a copy of the PDFs and then upload them either as a torrent or if I can find a host.

EDIT: Actually scratch that, it looks like the content of the maben site above is also on the helpedia site in the "Other 2" directory on the same level as the "Byte Uploads 2012" directory.

Edited by raindog2112

EDIT: Actually scratch that, it looks like the content of the maben site above is also on the helpedia site in the "Other 2" directory on the same level as the "Byte Uploads 2012" directory.

They are. And unfortunately they are very poor quality. :_( I believe they are all the Marcus scans. It seems all Marcus did was jam the pages into a sheet feeder, hit the scan button, and leave the room. It takes a lot more effort than that!

They are. And unfortunately they are very poor quality. :_( I believe they are all the Marcus scans. It seems all Marcus did was jam the pages into a sheet feeder, hit the scan button, and leave the room. It takes a lot more effort than that!

Ah. I just downloaded one and see what you mean. Mostly readable, but certainly not of the high quality we've been used to.

Ah. I just downloaded one and see what you mean. Mostly readable, but certainly not of the high quality we've been used to.

Sounds like you got one of the better ones. They have tons of missing, misaligned, and folded pages.

A little while ago I started to go through them to find the acceptable ones. I had to give up.

FYI, the ones currently being uploaded (about once a day) are ones that had not previously been scanned at all, even by whoever was making the really horrible scans that cropped the page as small as possible. The other day I thought he had missed one and realized I had missed adding one of those crappy scans to the list I'm using to keep track.

Yes they have. Every one posted in ftp://helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/Uploads%202012/ so far has previously been scanned by some guy named Marcus. (He often put his name on the cover(s).) His are the only bad scans that I'm aware of and can be found in ftp://helpedia.com/pub/archive/temp/Byte/Other%202, I believe also at http://maben.homeip....BYTE/index.html, and are also in both torrents along with the good ones.

At a brief scan, the files uploaded in "Uploads 2012" seem to be of better quality than the ones in "Other 2".

The file sizes are larger and on one pdf I checked, the pages are more aligned.

I can host all versions on the ftp so it's not a problem, if you guys are fine with the versions in "Other 2" you don't *have* to get the new uploads.

If anyone else has copies of Byte and plans to get rid of them, I could scan them and put them online and I may pay for shipping if it's not to much.

Or if someone wants to upload some copies that are not already on the ftp, feel free to contact me.