IGNORED

Ebay Is Letting Me Down / CIB is Rare

Philflound

Ever since I defended the topic of someone ripping into Ebay I've had a series of bad experiences. First was the cigarette smelling 12 games I ordered. Next were some trading cards, sealed no doubt, which smelled like a perfume. I found out why. Once I opened the packs, they too had this strange smell and you guessed it, faint cigarette smell. I sell a decent number of games on Ebay and someone offered me $12 for a complete in box game. I had the game higher, and I didn't have a best offer. I decided to take the price, so I told him I would add a best offer option and accept his price. I changed the listing and I get on just now and the same *#!, as Q*Bert would say, offers me $8. At first I thought it was someone else offering me a price and was going to be fair and decline it and wait for the original buyer, but it turned out to be him. So I declined his offer, told him I didn't appreciate his low ball offer, and banned him from buying anything from me. I also removed the best offer from the game.

I'm a very fair seller. I try and be the lowest seller on Ebay, unless someone has something ridiculously low or at a price I don't want to compete with. Most boxed, complete games are not that easy to find, especially at a reasonable price. There are many collectors here that will agree with that statement. I don't gouge like other big sellers, asking 1 1/2 to 2x what I ask if not more. But I get insulted when a price is agreed upon and then they try and low ball me.

The only boxed games I consider common are O'Shea games that he still has in stock. The ones he doesn't are not as easy to find, and I actually sold out of a number of them. Combat of course is relatively common. Pac-Man to me is uncommon. Asteroids I have actually more copies than Combat boxed I think. More uncommon games I come across complete in the box are maybe Video Olympics and Breakout. I don't have too many blue Space Invaders, though I think that may not be too hard to acquire. Warlords is also uncommon but also attainable.

Games that come with comic books are NOT that easily gotten complete. Most people may say Defender is common, but many times the comic is missing. I actually do not have too many complete Defenders. Also people may say ET is common, but I don't consider it complete without that little insert with the finger. The same goes for Asteroids, though I have many of those 1 sheet inserts for that and Raiders which also has a 1 sheet insert.

I don't consider ANY 3rd party software to be common complete in box. Again, you may think Donkey Kong, but I actually do NOT have that in stock. Decathlon has been the most common box, and I've had 5 boxed copies in the past couple of years. Though 2 of those did not have the instruction manual.

I don't consider the catalog or warranty card to be part of being complete because they don't specifically go with that game and can be taken from other titles. Though some people are sticklers and want those too. But having the original GAME items such as cartridge, manual, inserts, and comics are required in my book to be complete with the box.

I changed the title of this and added the CIB topic because I went a bit off topic of Ebay. I didn't feel like starting 2 threads. I expect many people to reply to either topics. I probably will think of more stuff later to add. Just venting.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Ever since I defended the topic of someone ripping into Ebay I've had a series of bad experiences. First was the cigarette smelling 12 games I ordered. Next were some trading cards, sealed no doubt, which smelled like a perfume. I found out why. Once I opened the packs, they too had this strange smell and you guessed it, faint cigarette smell. I sell a decent number of games on Ebay and someone offered me $12 for a complete in box game. I had the game higher, and I didn't have a best offer. I decided to take the price, so I told him I would add a best offer option and accept his price. I changed the listing and I get on just now and the same *#!, as Q*Bert would say, offers me $8. At first I thought it was someone else offering me a price and was going to be fair and decline it and wait for the original buyer, but it turned out to be him. So I declined his offer, told him I didn't appreciate his low ball offer, and banned him from buying anything from me. I also removed the best offer from the game.

I'm a very fair seller. I try and be the lowest seller on Ebay, unless someone has something ridiculously low or at a price I don't want to compete with. Most boxed, complete games are not that easy to find, especially at a reasonable price. There are many collectors here that will agree with that statement. I don't gouge like other big sellers, asking 1 1/2 to 2x what I ask if not more. But I get insulted when a price is agreed upon and then they try and low ball me.

The only boxed games I consider common are O'Shea games that he still has in stock. The ones he doesn't are not as easy to find, and I actually sold out of a number of them. Combat of course is relatively common. Pac-Man to me is uncommon. Asteroids I have actually more copies than Combat boxed I think. More uncommon games I come across complete in the box are maybe Video Olympics and Breakout. I don't have too many blue Space Invaders, though I think that may not be too hard to acquire. Warlords is also uncommon but also attainable.

Games that come with comic books are NOT that easily gotten complete. Most people may say Defender is common, but many times the comic is missing. I actually do not have too many complete Defenders. Also people may say ET is common, but I don't consider it complete without that little insert with the finger. The same goes for Asteroids, though I have many of those 1 sheet inserts for that and Raiders which also has a 1 sheet insert.

I don't consider ANY 3rd party software to be common complete in box. Again, you may think Donkey Kong, but I actually do NOT have that in stock. Decathlon has been the most common box, and I've had 5 boxed copies in the past couple of years. Though 2 of those did not have the instruction manual.

I don't consider the catalog or warranty card to be part of being complete because they don't specifically go with that game and can be taken from other titles. Though some people are sticklers and want those too. But having the original GAME items such as cartridge, manual, inserts, and comics are required in my book to be complete with the box.

I changed the title of this and added the CIB topic because I went a bit off topic of Ebay. I didn't feel like starting 2 threads. I expect many people to reply to either topics. I probably will think of more stuff later to add. Just venting.

Phil

What is your E-Bay I.D.? I ask because you say that you sell at a reasonable price.

ROFL No one has the time to read your lengthy post - I imagine it has something to do with you not being satisfied with Ebay. Great for you, you're a fuckinmg genius. Now lower your prices you piggie in my pee-pee.

You're a dick.

Agreed, Gamme you need to lighten the hell up!

I was about to say that to you in the "Did the 2600 have its own Lara Croft or Samus Aran?"

just before you edited your last post, no reason for the attitude.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

ROFL No one has the time to read your lengthy post - I imagine it has something to do with you not being satisfied with Ebay. Great for you, you're a fuckinmg genius. Now lower your prices you piggie in my pee-pee.

You're a dick.

Agreed, Gamme you need to lighten the hell up!

I was about to say that to you in the "Did the 2600 have its own Lara Croft or Samus Aran?"

just before you edited your last post, no reason for the attitude.

I think he's mad at me because my Bump n Jump is priced at like $10 or $12 and I told him I would let him have it for $6. He thinks I should give my games away.

One more post like this and I will ban you permanently.

..Al

• Like 14

Phil

Here in the UK we have the Sale of Goods Act. Simply put the sales contract is based on 'offer and acceptance'. the person offers you an amount of moniey and you accept or reject the offer. The price you quote is only there to invite them to make you an offer. If you reject his first offer you are under no obligation to accept his next offer.

Though no-one would do this - lets say my weekly shopping totals up to £50 I am quite within my right to offer £40 at the checkout. If they accept brill. if not then they could reject another offer of £50.

Don't beat yourself up over it - you were quite within your rights to reject his offer.

As for games in boxes - I blame the compaines that made those plastic storage boxes to keep the games in. They never thought people would like to keept the outer box and instructions with the cart. Do the outer boxes have any value?

As for games in boxes - I blame the compaines that made those plastic storage boxes to keep the games in. They never thought people would like to keept the outer box and instructions with the cart. Do the outer boxes have any value?

Depends highly on the game. Some boxes are not worth much more than the most common loose cartridges, while other rare boxes are actually worth MORE than their (already expensive) contents.

I agree that some boxes aren't worth too much. Like a complete Combat would probably sell for $3 for the more common box, a bit higher for the rarer or 1st version. I've sold many sealed games that were common for $5-6 on average and some of the more common games usually for $4-5. Depends on the demand I guess.

Phil

I recently won a CIB Sky Skipper from Ebay for $7.33. The game is not yet in my hands though so I will not comment on its condition although the pictures showed it to be immaculate. I believe this was a fair price for a CIB game of average rarity.

Edited by abcdefg

isn't there just a portion of sarcasm in there? i have to admit that it made me laught :P

• Like 1

ROFL No one has the time to read your lengthy post - I imagine it has something to do with you not being satisfied with Ebay. Great for you, you're a genius. Now lower your prices you piggie in my pee-pee.

isn't there just a portion of sarcasm in there? i have to admit that it made me laugh :P

I was actually insulted. I don't charge exorbitant prices for my stuff and I work with people all the time on prices. In my original post I mentioned that the buyer offered me $12 for the complete in box game. What I didn't mention was that I had the game priced at $17, so I discounted it $5. Currently there is only one other seller with this same game complete in box and they're asking $20, so being $8 cheaper than the higher seller, I thought it was fair. Again, only 2 of us have that particular game complete in the box, so it's not easily obtained CIB. I actually had a previous copy of this game and it sold very fast at $15 and was in slightly worse condition. So I upped my price $2. You rarely see a price guide list a price other than the loose one. This is because it's speculative. I can't see more than 2 or 3% of the games out there that still have boxes. That's probably too high. Maybe 1%. That means you get one boxed version for every 99 loose ones. I think I have like 12 or 13 boxed Combats. At one point I had like 200+ loose Combats but sent many to Al for homebrews. That percentage is a bit higher, but you're also talking about the game that came with the system.

When I mentioned common games such as Combat, Pac-Man and Asteroids, they probably place in the 5% range complete in box. The O'Shea games I wouldn't doubt place in the 25% range, since he averages 25,000-50,000 copies per title. When I give these percentages, it reflects games that are known and still in existance. Who knows how many games have been thrown away, destroyed by dogs chewing on them, or just plain stopped working?

I'm all for a price guide from one of the more reputable price guides out there listing the loose price, game with instruction manual price, and game complete in box price. Most guides have 2 or 3 price columns when it comes to collectibles. Usually a mint in box price and a loose price in excellent condition. I know Digital Press has been saying his new edition of the guide is coming out soon, but I've been hearing that since Christmas. I'm hoping it does come out soon.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Phil

What is your E-Bay I.D.? I ask because you say that you sell at a reasonable price.

why did you quote the whole thread? like we wouldnt know who your comment was addressed to....:roll: :D

i was checking out my duplicate 2600 games (boxed) i have :

4 air sea battle

6 asteroids

6 combat

5 defender

2 pacman

2 space invaders

and a ton of other ones but just 1 copy of.

as for 3rd party cib being common...maybe atlantis or demon attack, but that is it.

Edited by revolutionika

I'm all for a price guide from one of the more reputable price guides out there listing the loose price, game with instruction manual price, and game complete in box price.

I know that this next suggestion is already being done; but I have a new criteria to add: I've heard of someone averaging prices on Ebay completed listings for various games to compile a current price guide. I realize this will decrease the sample pool, but I would personally be interested in seeing this done only for non-Buy It Now games with starting price less than $1. I believe this will give a more correct estimate for the cost of these items.

Phil

why did you quote the whole thread? like we wouldnt know who your comment was addressed to....:roll: :D

4 air sea battle

6 asteroids

6 combat

5 defender

2 pacman

2 space invaders

as for 3rd party cib being common...maybe atlantis or demon attack, but that is it.

Why did you? Are you the part of the posting police?

isn't there just a portion of sarcasm in there? i have to admit that it made me laught :P

I'm often accused of lacking a sense of humor -- I saw no redeeming value whatsoever in that post. It was the final straw which led me to put gamme in my ignored list.

Phil

4 air sea battle

6 asteroids

6 combat

5 defender

2 pacman

2 space invaders

Why did you? Are you the part of the posting police?

no, but i should be. ;)

Moose Injection

There were ionic specks of light. Whatever a speck were in I delight. Seeeeealed mons specks.

Please an assumption

At least grow and avoid,

Moorse head begin asylum

Where the groin is in aspect.

Mutts' allowance much rain

Oh holden camden minced brain.

See me in sea me insipid.

Much grace and adrimony.

Good luck. LOL

eBay Seller: gpdcomics1?ff3=10&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

;)

Heh. Actually I don't sell under that ID anymore. At least not in the store. I use my friend's account and thus keep it anonymous. I do his Ebay listings and he lets me put my stuff in his store for free. I'd like to keep myself distanced from his account to mine. I can't afford an Ebay store. You literally need the medium store at $50 per month to get 5 cent per month listing rights. Else it's like 20 or 25 cents if you have the cheap store. Ebay has gotten ridiculous. I had an ebay store a long time ago. In fact I made my own trading card with a picture and sold a few before I closed my store. I also made a t-shirt with an imprint of my butt and said "KISS MY A$$ PAYBAY" on it and sold that too. I was extremely pissed off with them. This was like 3 or 4 years ago when they first hiked up the prices.

Phil

Edited by Philflound