IGNORED

ColecoVision Power Supply

Madaracs

Is there a way to revive a dying ColecoVision power supply? I'm getting some red banding on screen when it's plugged in. Using a different power supply fixes the problem.

I thought I read somewhere there was a power supply modification you could do... but maybe that was on an Atari--I can't remember.

If anyone has any thoughts, they'd be much appreciated.

I've seen short youtube videos for fixing those power supplys, not sure if there still up there or not.

I remember one guy just need to resolder a few joints, and used a dreml to open the brick up.

Found this one:

And this old thing: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/135047-colecovision-power-supply-connector-bad/

Thanks for the tip.

I might try the power supply mod on this thing. It would be nice to rid myself of that huge wall-wart.

Edited by Madaracs

I've seen short youtube videos for fixing those power supplys, not sure if there still up there or not.

I remember one guy just need to resolder a few joints, and used a dreml to open the brick up.

I'd recommend having at least a close look at any electrolytic capacitors inside, and replace as seems appropriate (or just replace them all).

Philipp

I'd recommend having at least a close look at any electrolytic capacitors inside, and replace as seems appropriate (or just replace them all).

Philipp

Good to know. I'm still not sure how to get the darn thing apart. A dremel seems like overkill.

Some one told me they put it in a vise and hammered the end of the brick at the seam until it broke loose.......

Brute force. I love it. :twisted: That's more my style. It also seems easier than a dremel. I might be able to glue it back together when I'm done!

Just use rubber bands in case you gotta open her up again!

• Like 1