IGNORED

So what Coleco homebrew games have the rom available?

Crazy Climber

From the economic point of view, I think it would make sense that homebrew publishers (TeamPixel Boy, Collectorvision, Opcode…) talk together to decide to release only one game each per month for example.

When I hear that so many titles are to be released all together by the end of the year, I doubt I will be able to afford buying all of them at the same time. And as it was said, you have to be quick to order a game when it’s released if you don’t want to miss it… A shame!

• Like 1

From the economic point of view, I think it would make sense that homebrew publishers (TeamPixel Boy, Collectorvision, Opcode…) talk together to decide to release only one game each per month for example.

When I hear that so many titles are to be released all together by the end of the year, I doubt I will be able to afford buying all of them at the same time. And as it was said, you have to be quick to order a game when it’s released if you don’t want to miss it… A shame!

I've been giving this some thought, recently. The main reasons why I release six games at once is because 1) I have to get all the boxes printed at once anyway, and 2) sending all the games in one shipping box allows people to save on shipping fees. But I can see your point, especially in the current economy.

I'm thinking of offering a two-month layaway plan for people who want my games but cannot afford to buy all the ones they want in one swoop. I'm not willing to go beyond two months, however, because I can't afford to lose sales with games that are put on hold and could be sold to others who can pay right away. Besides, managing such a layaway plan can be complicated on my end, and also disappointing when a customer gives up on buying the games he/she reserved at the end of the two-month delay period.

Food for thought. :)

It has been mentioned, why not release the rom after the game has been sold out.

Everyone will think that "other people" will buy the game, so if I am patient I can get it for free in a month or so. The only people that would likely buy would be the hardcore collectors, my guess that is 12 or 15 people. Even if you don't say your giving out the rom when the game sells out but you do it with one game, people will take the chance on getting the free bee thinking the rom was released when other games sold out.

On top of that, is it fair for the people that bought the game that everyone in the world that wants the game can play it for free when they paid for it?

• Like 1

On top of that, is it fair for the people that bought the game that everyone in the world that wants the game can play it for free when they paid for it?

Well, the Atari 2600, Intellivision, and Vectrex scenes seem to think so. Most of the homebrew ROMs released for those systems have been shared in some form or other; in some cases it's a stripped-down version or a demo, but it's still out there.

I'm more sympathetic to this argument when it comes to original titles that are coded from scratch, especially original concepts. There, the creator has essentially all the rights, and should be supported in doing whatever he or she thinks best (even if we end up with situations like the Star Castle VCS debacle).

I'm less convinced when it comes to the SG-1000 or MSX ports, for obvious reasons. Not really sure what the harm of releasing the ROM would be, except that it angers collectors who bought the games specifically for that sense of exclusivity -- "I have it and other people don't". Which is fine for a physical item that they plan to keep...

...but if the issue is one of investment and resale, i.e. keeping Ebay value high, I have zero sympathy for that. The Intellivision homebrews and reproductions still fetch crazy money on Ebay, after all.

Huge, HUGE difference between owning the actual product (that being the original cartridge, and in most cases instructions and a box) and just a simple file. If I don't buy the game right off, I'm 99% not going to buy it ever. IF however I download the rom and play and like the game then I'll make the purchase.

Moral of the story, yes it is fair. The ones that play the game for free are getting what they paid for. Nothing. Just a computer file. Those who forked out the money for the actual product get to keep that, play it whenever they want as it was meant to be played. And/or sell it for a tidy profit somewhere down the road.

It has been mentioned, why not release the rom after the game has been sold out.

Everyone will think that "other people" will buy the game, so if I am patient I can get it for free in a month or so. The only people that would likely buy would be the hardcore collectors, my guess that is 12 or 15 people. Even if you don't say your giving out the rom when the game sells out but you do it with one game, people will take the chance on getting the free bee thinking the rom was released when other games sold out.

this is where you guys got it wrong people who actually want to play on the console will buy the cards (like i'm doing)

Another idea would be to have some programmers/publisher working together to release a Mutlicart with sold-out homebrews included

Maybe having something around 10 titles per compilation

If other homebrew/publisher are interested in this, contact me, I'm up for that kind of project :)

Edited by retroillucid
  • Like 2

Another idea would be to have some programmers/publisher working together to release a Mutlicart with sold-out homebrews included

If other homebrew/publisher are interested in this, contact me, I'm up for that kind of project :)

I would love to see this. I have a hard time spending $50 for most arcade-style games, but if you give me a bunch of them in one cart, it's perfect: I get more bang for my buck, I don't run out of space in my small apartment (not as quickly, anyway), and I get to play on real hardware while giving money to devs. Win-win. :)

That's pretty soon on my agenda... .

I think one of the problems is that most of the games include a box. This is great, but they're expensive, especially in low quantities. If a local supplier of small-run boxes could be found, that might solve some problems. I'm assuming the labels can be done locally, but if not, at least they're not too expensive to have some extras on hand.

well it might be a good idea but what to do with ppl who have missed like one or 2 releases will they gonna sell their other carts to get compilation ???

i mean the idea is good but how to make it work ?

1 cart per publishers

1 for retrolucid

1 for luc miron

1 for opcode ???

and also in my opinion those compilations would have to be really cheap (no boxes) it would gives a + values to buy games when they get released and not waiting a compilation

Sounds like a good idea, but I would want the ROMs with my purchase

Sounds like a good idea, but I would want the ROMs with my purchase

I understand, but other programmers/publishers would have to agree though....

• 3 weeks later...