IGNORED

SpartaDOS Commander

drac030

any progress with the tool?

As I wrote, I could not find the instability anymore. the tools runs perfectly with my new AtariMax cart.

One helpful feature would be to "jump to directory". I know that this could be done with the command prompt "cd <dir>" but this forces SC to unload and this takes with SIO drives quite a while for all the disk operations which it requires.

Bug or Feature?:

in a root folder let's "A:\" I see a first entry ">" marked as directory. it can be seen also in your screenshot. What is the meaning of it?

Progress: there is some, maybe after the weekend I'll release a new version.

Jump to directory: noted.

First entry: it is a feature. First, it is (marked as) a directory in its status byte. Second, selecting this re-reads the directory. Of course, you can do it easier with Shift/Esc.

I have a request which would be insanely appreciated! I love how the RC_GR8.SYS driver accepts two optional parameters (for BG/FG color). I also love the fact that I can use CON80 and SC will view files in 80 columns. However, CON80 resets to the standard OS colors when calling View file. Even if I have the colors set before launching SC, they get reset. Is there a way (short of running a modified OS) to make CON80 use default values for $2C5 and $2C6 (709,710)? I really don't care about $2C8 because I always leave it at 0.

I know it will be some time before I have my VBXE machine running, so this would be a great in the meantime.

Stephen

I admit that this was shortsighted, but unfortunately, CON80 has these colors hardcoded, there is no way to change the defaults other than patching the binary. Of course, the patched version would no longer be on the cartridge, it would have to be loaded from the disk. Anyway: you have to find the following sequence:

A9 92 8D C6 02 A9 0A 8D C5 02

i.e.

lda #$92

sta colpf2s

lda #$0a

sta colpf1s

in the binary I have here (4743 bytes, assembled 24 Apr 2008) it is at offset $0EFF from the beginning of the file. The second and the seventh number in the hex sequence are the colors, BG first, then FG.

I admit that this was shortsighted, but unfortunately, CON80 has these colors hardcoded, there is no way to change the defaults other than patching the binary. Of course, the patched version would no longer be on the cartridge, it would have to be loaded from the disk. Anyway: you have to find the following sequence:

A9 92 8D C6 02 A9 0A 8D C5 02

i.e.

lda #$92

sta colpf2s

lda #$0a

sta colpf1s

in the binary I have here (4743 bytes, assembled 24 Apr 2008) it is at offset $0EFF from the beginning of the file. The second and the seventh number in the hex sequence are the colors, BG first, then FG.

Thanks so much! I will do this.

*** EDIT BEGIN ***

OK - I have done this (the $0EFF offset was correct BTW). I am using $B0 for background, and $D for foreground in both the RC_GR8.SYS and CON80.SYS. I have SC running in a small 64K RAM disk, because I have 160KB allocated for Last Word text buffers. I am also running TD with my R-Time 8. I love this setup. More than love it!

*** EDIT END ***

Can I trouble you for one more thing? Are there plans to make the included "ED.COM" work with the CON80 driver? I am trying to get as close to a "full-time" 80 column machine as I can. Ice-T XE, Last Word, Sparta DOS Commander and CON80 have me almost there.

Future versions will get the color settings from an environment variable? hint hint :D

Can I trouble you for one more thing? Are there plans to make the included "ED.COM" work with the CON80 driver?

Well, no. There are plans, however, to replace ED with something that works in 40, 80 and possibly 64 columns.

Shawn: for changing defaults at runtime? Well, seems a good idea, will consider that. Thanks.

Edited by drac030

Hi KMK,

A) At last, I think that i found at least a very simple unexpected behavior (not to say bug): tagging files and copying them to the other side, does not unselect the files after finishing. I think it's the kind of behavior which is normal in NC/Volkov Commander.

B) Remember, that I reported instability especially in "idle" mode? Well I think there is still some bug on the real hardware... I can not correctly reproduce the issue. But it came on my hardware setup quite often by doing these steps:

1) (power on, boot sdx)

2) start spartados commander

3) copy some files from disk to ramdisk

4) change to the ramdisk side (tab)

5) "create directory" with command line "mkdir test"

6) choose directory "test"

7) wait around 30 seconds..

8) press any key: crash / hang

- I can't see such instability when using SC consequently without parts of user-inactivity.

- It sometimes has no instability at all and then runs perfectly. It seems, that after turning off the computer for several seconds resolves the effect. (this would indicate more a problem with my hardware)

- have not tried it yet in the emulator

grtx,

\twh

At last, I think that i found at least a very simple unexpected behavior (not to say bug): tagging files and copying them to the other side, does not unselect the files after finishing. I think it's the kind of behavior which is normal in NC/Volkov Commander.

I think Draco is away for a while, but to me the behaviour you describe makes sense. Half the time you'll probably want to delete/rename the selection of files you just copied, so it's handy that they remain tagged. Which reminds me: does SC let you rename the tagged files with wildcard support (like the disk menu in LW)?

I just wanted to say that I tried this out today finally and was really impressed. I'm still waiting for my VBXE so I was running using the GR.8 80 column device but the program was still very useable and the display easy to read.

Thanks drac! I look forward to seeing this develop.

Are the VBXE going to be made available again? I would love to get one of those. I am hoping to get a 320xl and sio2cf soon too.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

A) At last, I think that i found at least a very simple unexpected behavior (not to say bug): tagging files and copying them to the other side, does not unselect the files after finishing. I think it's the kind of behavior which is normal in NC/Volkov Commander.

This is intended, as you always may want to copy them again to another disk. At the other hand, unselecting them is not a big deal (Ctrl/A).

1) (power on, boot sdx)

2) start spartados commander

3) copy some files from disk to ramdisk

4) change to the ramdisk side (tab)

5) "create directory" with command line "mkdir test"

6) choose directory "test"

7) wait around 30 seconds..

8 ) press any key: crash / hang

The SC uses (legal) OS calls to read the keyboard. Hence, while waiting for user's input, the CPU is looping inside the ROM. If hitting a key causes a crash, then it probably is a hardware problem.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I was off since 19 September.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I wish SpartaDosX kept the DA: thru DO: convention with E: P: and S: or E1: E2: P1: P2: P3: and S1: S2: !!!!! the current version where E: obliterates drive DE: or D4: when ever you use the standard commands or one of your hundreds of disks with batch file on them is really counter-intuitive.... it breaks so many things for no good reason...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a question about Sparta Commander. For the .INI file capabilities are there any replaceable variables or similar that can be used to represent aspects of what is happening in the program? A specific example would be setting up a macro something like this:

MACRO=e,lw %current_selected_file%

Such a macro would allow me to more easily use Last Word to edit text files. Right now I just type LW and then press CTL-RETURN & then RETURN.

Another cool feature would be to have a configuration option in the .INI that specified what program to use as an editor. I think right now it must be hardcoded to call ED. This would negate the need for the afore mentioned macro, but replaceable variables for macro use would still be a highly useful feature for creating other macros.

Wonderful, was waiting for this.

I am using SC 0.94 on my A800 with Incognito and as a first time user wanted to see the HELP. But there is no HELP-Key on the A800 keyboard. Can this function be remapped to another key? Actually not really important, as I figured out quickly how to use it. Thanks for this great tool. :)

@fujidude: yes, good idea on the variables et cet. I will try to code that up.

@skr: ok, I see. I am not really used to anything other than XL/XE, I admit that it has not really occurred to me to this time that there is no HELP key on the 400/800 keyboard. Of course, I would like to keep the Help key function on XL/XE, but in the SC I can offer alternative mapping for the same function. Any ideas/preferences?

• Like 1