IGNORED

STOS for Jaguar possible?

TXG/MNX

I was talking to another coder on here recently about this in the chatroom and its certainly possible. Although it would have to be on the 68k, you wouldn't be able to use the Jag's cutom chips without a major re-write.

It would have to be re-written anyway, due to architectural differences between the Jag and ST. A better solution would be to port to the PC so you don't have to rely on emulation (and therefore slow compile times) which would require a major rewrite anyway. In this case, there's absolutely nothing that would prevent support for the custom chips outside of what is already needed.

Personally, I'd much rather see GFA Basic with Jag support.

• Like 3

Yea, it wouldn't be impossible to do from what was discussed, but the huge effort required & the compromises that would have to be made would be massively off-putting... better to put that kind of effort elsewhere, really.

Oh and STOS pwns GFA anyday :P

• Like 1

In the universe where all of the sprites are the same size and all games look the same. :)

Right, just for that I'm going to make a video of Damo's STOS demo fx - you'll take it back! ;)

Damo huh? I bet he coded STOS the same way tobe codes GFA.. which makes you wonder why? :P

I couple of weeks ago I was looking "Tiny BASIC," which seems to be more or less generic for porting to other systems. It seems to be a good starting point; it's small, uses 3K of memory according to wikipedia so you know it's going run supper fast on the Jag-RISC.

Tiny BASIC Wikipedia

The tiny BASIC examples I've looked at on that page are interpreted. Running an expression parser over every line of code (no mater what the target) isn't going to be all that fast unfortunately.

Although it would have to be on the 68k, you wouldn't be able to use the Jag's cutom chips without a major re-write.

Incorrect! STOS supports external calls to relocatable code. It would be trivial to add GPU modules to a Jag-STOS application via this method.

• Like 5

Fair enough I was just going off what the other 2 coders here I spoke with said (sh3-rg and Owl). Jag programming is not my area of expertise :)

hehe, you didn't refer to me as a coder while keeping a straight face did you ;)

I'd love something as simple to get into & fun as STOS for the Jaguar, but there's probably an easier way of putting that kind of limited but enjoyable power in the hands of us mere mortals :)

I was big into STOS back in the day. It opened up possibilities meager coders like myself could never have dreamed of doing in some more complex language.

Now, what I'd like to see is something like Batari Basic for the Jaguar. How about Jagtari Basic? :cool:

I don't know if you ever played around with GFA Basic back in the day, but it was quite easy to use as well as very powerful. I think it was a good intermediary between very high level stuff like STOS and lower level languages. I think some kind of hybrid between STOS and GFA would work really well for beginners, but then that's kinda getting off-tangent a little. :)

• Like 1

Fair enough I was just going off what the other 2 coders here I spoke with said (sh3-rg and Owl). Jag programming is not my area of expertise :)

To be honest I don't really remember how the conversation went.

Its true that STOS is capable of calling relocatable sections which would make life easier. I'd just have no interest in doing it.

And i still use GFA occassionally - some of the data for AOP has even been generated using it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...