IGNORED

Dumbest thing you've heard people say about games/systems

4Ks

I figured this would be a very interesting (and funny) thread to start. I've heard plenty of stories in different threads about people who said really idiotic things about some game or system, but I've never actually seen a thread dedicated to these stories. Well, here it is, so fire away!

My story actually comes from the mouth of my brother, but it's funny none-the-less. One time, I had a friend come over who was a total PS2 nut. My brother also owned a PS2 at the time, so he (the friend) bought someof his favorite picks to play. anyway, once he got over, my brother started to tell him about all the different systems he had, like the N64 and the dreamcast. Mr. friend just looked at each system in turn with a "who the heck would own THAT?" look on his face. When my brother was done explaining, he asked him if he wanted to play the N64. Mr. friend just said, with the air of explaining something simple to a stupid person, "that's old.". Of course, there was no N64 that night. I just had to to a big fat facepalm at this.

• Like 1

Teenagers walking through my livingroom while I am playing my 2600 who say something like "oohh, those are awesome graphics" with a sarcastic tone. Happened again last night; they were lucky I didn't have one of those newfangled pause buttons, or I would have given out a beatdown. Naw, not my style....I just calmly said "yeah, this game is on a CBS ramplus cartridge, so there is an extra 4K of memory on the cartridge". Morgan

• Like 3

Like everyone else on this thread, I can't think of any single story, but rather general things that people say all the time that annoys me.

I know that this has been mentioned in other threads, but anyone who calls cartridges "tapes".

Also, people who call relatively new game consoles "retro" (like the Dreamcast).

Also, people who call relatively new game consoles "retro" (like the Dreamcast).

Yes. I hate people who do that, I overheard some kids talking about the Dreamcast, and also the Gamecube.

"Dude, the Dreamcast is so old, why do you own one?" - Kid 2

"Because, its pretty cool" - Kid 1

"Yeah, because 1999 is the best year for gaming right?" - Kid 2

"Yeah, I guess it IS pretty stupid..." - Kid 1

"And what about the GameCube? Thats old too" - Kid 2

"Yup" - Kid 1

Jeez, that conversation made me sick.

Yes. I hate people who do that, I overheard some kids talking about the Dreamcast, and also the Gamecube.

"Dude, the Dreamcast is so old, why do you own one?" - Kid 2

"Because, its pretty cool" - Kid 1

"Yeah, because 1999 is the best year for gaming right?" - Kid 2

"Yeah, I guess it IS pretty stupid..." - Kid 1

"And what about the GameCube? Thats old too" - Kid 2

"Yup" - Kid 1

Jeez, that conversation made me sick.

LOL! Good to know things haven't changed...

Just about everyone I know or associate with actually PREFERS the older consoles but then again they're around my age so I don't get a lot of those comments. Those kind of things come from stupid teenagers and I ban stupid teenagers from talking to me and its easy to tell if they're a stupid teenager - if they're a teenager, they're stupid. Its a great system :P

• Like 1

These may fall more under "pet peeves" than dumbest things ever said, but I hate when people say they are nostalgic for something that's only five or even ten years old. Often they're under 20 years old themselves and I think the word nostalgic, until recently, was primarily used by people who were getting up there in the years and were, you know, nostalgic for their youth.

Another thing that's annoying is that by saying something has "nostalgic value" it makes me wonder if it ever had any value to begin with. That is, wasn't the reason you had nostalgic feelings for it because it was good (i.e., better than what else was out at the time)? Even if that wasn't the case, a lot of things that you ARE nostalgic for were actually really well made games (or movies, music, etc).

It's just annoying when people say "it was good for its time." I always wonder, what's the time limit, you know? Is that three years? Five?

• Like 1

Selling a "Sony Saturn" in a 2nd hand store for way to much. When asking how they made up the price the person answered, that they look at the current going rate of a new system and then cut the price in half. This was a year or 2 ago. I eventually convinced him that he was totally wrong by doing this, and ended up with a Sega Saturn with 4 games for 25 euro.

I was at a persons house looking at a few older consoles they were selling me. They mostly had sports games with a N64 and a Genesis. When I made him an offer he said he couldnt take it cause sports games are worth more than the others. I did leave there with a SNES and a Final Fantasy 3 cart for pretty cheap.

I was waiting to play a Vectrex in the freeplay area at Cowlitz Gamers for Kids (retro show in Kelso, WA - look for it next spring - free plug!) and a punk standing there was saying to his friend on the game "looks like all the games are just lines, why didn't they use real graphics". Why he was even there I have no clue' looking for retro PS2 stuff maybe..... Morgan

Honestly, it just bothers me when people (including people here) rag on any system. Yeah, some systems have more to offer than others, but they all have something cool going for them. I don't have every system there is, but if the opportunity came along to buy a cheap Jag or Coleco or whatever, I would of course pick it up. So, when people say that system X is "not worth owning", that bothers me.

Chris

• Like 3