IGNORED

Dumbest thing you've heard people say about games/systems

4Ks

My friend in 1993: "Ha ha. I'll laugh when the Jaguar fails!"

Needless to say I gave him the look of death for the rest of the evening. Eventually I told him what a terrible thing it was to say that and he apologized.

Ok, so the Jaguar failed. No reason to laugh about it. :ponder:

• Like 1

First that comes to mind: "I had every game ever made for the 2600. Even the original Mario Bros., which is about as rare as it gets."

Also, there's a pawn shop close to here that sells any NES game it gets for $3 regardless of rarity. But what's in their glass case up front? A gold Legend Of Zelda cart for $25. No words actually spoken, but the action itself speaks volumes.

Edited by Spoon

I had a vendor tell me that CIB Missile Command is "like am R9." I was going to buy it because I just have a cart. The price sticker on the box was $2.00, but when I took it up to the counter the guy looked on eBay, saw a BIN for $25, and told me that's how much he would sell it to me for. He showed me the screen and the guy on eBay put "R9" in the title.

Here are a few:

People who bust on the Amiga, especially when they have never used one or have no idea what a Video Toaster is.

This one is more an act than saying something, but people who throw controllers, especially older ones like 2600 joysticks. Actually, any machine abuse bothers me.

People who defend Pac-Man and ET on the Atari 2600. I was there in the 1980s. Pac-Man and ET sucked then too. They aren't the worst games, but they weren't good either.

People who collect games and machines without ever playing them. I know they are worth more sealed. Buy another one and actually play the games. That's why they were made.

People who put things like CIB boxes of Centipede on eBay and Craigslist for $1000.

I forgot one:

People who refer to every video game system as a Nintendo. You don't hear it so much now, but in the past, you would have thought Nintendo built everything from what people said.

Edited by Cliff Friedel

Any comment that relates to "Why would you play that? That's old".

100% agreed. Huge pet peeve of mine.

See also: "Those graphics suck", "That looks like the worst game ever" and "There is a way better remake/sequel to that game on <modern system I don't have>, you should check it out"

When I was with my ex, I was playing one of my japanese shoot em ups on the ps2. Her cousin comes up and says, that game sucks. I asked why, he says that the graphics suck on it.

I asked him to play it to see how hard it really was, and he refused to play it, because it wasn't worthy of being played. The ex laughed.

Needless to say, she's an ex.

Oh yes, people who claim a game sucks because there is a version with better graphics. Kids these days seem to forget that graphics are only a small portion of what makes a game good.

At a market where one of the stalls was selling a MAME cabinet.... it was running Pac Man... and this young kid shouted "Look, dad! It's the game from Futurama!"

Good for the kid recognizing it and connecting it to something in his life. This is how the next generation is going to get started on classic games. I had a similar experience with my GF's daughter when Google did the Pac-Man logo. You can't sit a kid down and say "this was awesome back in the day" and expect them to care. Find a cultural reference they get, and say "you know where that comes from?" and you have much better results.

When playing my 3do, I had someone ask "Is that like Playstation before there was Playstation?"

That's not so bad of a comparison actually.

When playing my 3do, I had someone ask "Is that like Playstation before there was Playstation?"

Well, actually I think that characterizes the 3DO quite well...

Of course, there'sthat whole "the psx was actually successful" part :P

For me, not necessarily the classics, but anytime someone says "that game sucks cause there's a newer version out now" WTF??! I can't think of the number of games that the first is the best, and the later ones aren't as good (though certainly don't suck)

Just about everyone I know or associate with actually PREFERS the older consoles but then again they're around my age so I don't get a lot of those comments. Those kind of things come from stupid teenagers and I ban stupid teenagers from talking to me and its easy to tell if they're a stupid teenager - if they're a teenager, they're stupid. Its a great system :P

Really?

wow.

People who refer to every video game system as a Nintendo. You don't hear it so much now, but in the past, you would have thought Nintendo built everything from what people said.

No kidding, I hate genericized trademarks. Now please excuse me while I go Xerox a Kleenex then take an aspirin for my headache.

Edited by AtariLeaf

I agree with those who get annoyed by people who hate on older games because they are old.

I don't know. We need those people in order to balance out the other people who glorify the past while complaining about how all new stuff is crap. Watch any youtube video featuring an older toy, song, TV show, video game, etc. and there will be various comments about how everything was great back then while everything sucks now.

I agree with those who get annoyed by people who hate on older games because they are old.

I don't know. We need those people in order to balance out the other people who glorify the past while complaining about how all new stuff is crap. Watch any youtube video featuring an older toy, song, TV show, video game, etc. and there will be various comments about how everything was great back then while everything sucks now.

Im not saying new things suck, I love my 360, but I dont just discount something because its new/old/etc.

Im not saying new things suck, I love my 360, but I dont just discount something because its new/old/etc.

No, you're not saying that. That was just a bit of a pointless rant apropos of nothing. Never mind me. :)

Hearing people refer to game carts as "tapes." You could never get it out of their heads that they were not tapes. :roll:

Actually, my parents were more modern. Any video game system - including the gynormous Neo Geo - was a "Nintendo". I still have to Babblefish translate things in my head when they call 1.44 floppies a "hard disk".

Edited by theloon