IGNORED

Colecovision game authentication help

ColecoDan

Hey guys,

I was wondering if some of your expertise could help me out. I have been talking to this guy about buying some stuff from him and was wondering if you could authenticate these things since I have never seen them before.

One of the pictures has a Joust cart. I was wondering if this was the re-release going around or if someone just put a rom in a cart and made the label.

Another picture has his Bit Corp collection -- (Meteoric Shower, Tank Wars, Cosmic Crisis) - Once again I have never seen the true picture of these carts so I do not know if they are real or not.

Finally the last picture has the Ms Space Fury with Box. -- Does this look like what was released by Daniel? I forgot who created it.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

post-26001-128206231105_thumb.jpg

post-26001-128206232601_thumb.jpg

post-26001-128206233449_thumb.jpg

so your joust doesn't look like that Pixelboy?

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your joust so I would know in the future?

Thanks for the info though.

Joust is an unreleased prototype, and I believe there's only one version of the ROM out there (the one with no sound), so no matter what the label is, all the Joust carts in existence are probably all repros of the exact same prototype.

Hi ColecoDan icon_smile.gif

As Pixelboy said: "those are all repros".

Is it ok to make these old games for what it cost to produce. ?

Those games are in no ways in production and has been for maybe over 25 years.

And on the other side, will these games ruin the market, ? And will the price for a given game decrease dramatically. ?

I play almost all my games on the real way, namely via console and a cartridge.

And I'm looking for Boulder Dash on a cartridge, it could be the way to have it, since it seems impossible to find.

Pixelboy has never touched so much as a pixel in Joust.

He had a plan to complete the game from AtariSoft, but the person who had the sounds for Joust for years ago seemed never hear from him.

I'm not sure who made the various labels and boxes.

True,

I would be more inclined to get it if it was a repro that was released at a show or something instead of some guy just making this one cart and a label so he had joust in cart form.

You know gives a little history and story behind the release of that version of the cart.

Just like some of the ones today like Escape from the mindmaster or the super donkey kong or super donkey kong jr carts that were made.

By the way I got info that it is possible the Tank Wars could be authentic but that the other two would most likely be repros based of the same style as the Tank Wars cart.

Not official but a possibility.

Hi ColecoDan icon_smile.gif

As Pixelboy said: "those are all repros".

Is it ok to make these old games for what it cost to produce. ?

Those games are in no ways in production and has been for maybe over 25 years.

And on the other side, will these games ruin the market, ? And will the price for a given game decrease dramatically. ?

I play almost all my games on the real way, namely via console and a cartridge.

And I'm looking for Boulder Dash on a cartridge, it could be the way to have it, since it seems impossible to find.

Pixelboy has never touched so much as a pixel in Joust.

He had a plan to complete the game from AtariSoft, but the person who had the sounds for Joust for years ago seemed never hear from him.

I'm not sure who made the various labels and boxes.

By the way this guy had a Boulder Dash cart as well but since I too am looking for Boulder dash and do not have it, I do not know if this is authentic.

I am trying to hold out for the holy grail of the Boulder Dash CIB ;)

post-26001-128207516246_thumb.jpg

By the way this guy had a Boulder Dash cart as well but since I too am looking for Boulder dash and do not have it, I do not know if this is authentic. I am trying to hold out for the holy grail of the Boulder Dash CIB ;)

The Boulder Dash in your picture is likely a repro. Unless I'm mistaken, the only official Boulder Dash CV carts are the Telegames ones with the silver label.

I'd say the Lode Runner, Maze Maniac and Fireman carts are authentic homebrew carts, but I can't be sure just by looking at a pic.

Well, I've the same opinion as Pixelboy. As far I as know, the homebrew games shown here all looks like legit copies. As for the rest of the games, even PowerLord released by DigitalPress long time ago didn't have the cheesy colecovision logo on it like that.

I would love to say "this game is authentic" but as far as I know these are all repros, with fan made labels and boxes.

Ms Space Fury cartridge seems authentic, but I can't tell for the box, because as far I as know it was a loose cartridge with instruction manuals. I know that fan based boxes was done but not one from the publisher Digital Press in that case.

so your joust doesn't look like that Pixelboy?

You wouldn't happen to have a picture of your joust so I would know in the future?

Thanks for the info though.

Joust is an unreleased prototype, and I believe there's only one version of the ROM out there (the one with no sound), so no matter what the label is, all the Joust carts in existence are probably all repros of the exact same prototype.

The label on the Joust cart that was released at CGE2K1 looks like this:

joust.jpg

Correct Daniel, they are AtariSoft style orange labels, but one piece. I've got Pac Man, Joust, and Dig Dug all from AA in that style. Can post pics later if anyone wants to see those. (Or here is a link to an online pic of the AA style label... http://www.gamesdbase.com/Media/SYSTEM/Coleco_Vision/Cart/big/Joust_-_1984_-_Atari.jpg)

To be honest with you, I'd have NO CLUE what to look for on the Bit Corp carts, I've never seen one in person! :)

I can be wrong about the BitCorp ones... they look legits and too good to be true.

ColecoVision.dk web site is showing in the clones section a close up of a BitCorp cartridge image with a label not upside down, and a picture of a BitCorp computer Bit90 with all 3 BitCorp cartridges with their labels upside down. So, I don't know.

Seeing these 3 games is very unusual, and here in a neat condition, it's suspect to me but it's possible.

I think only one man can find out for sure if they are legits or not simply based on pictures of them, if only we can have a picture of the bottom part where is the pcb.

Meteoric Shower exist in a original Cartridge from 1983 with production number PG 903. The cart is use for Bit 90 and ColecoVision and this game is extremely rare.

I can be wrong about the BitCorp ones... they look legits and too good to be true.

ColecoVision.dk web site is showing in the clones section a close up of a BitCorp cartridge image with a label not upside down, and a picture of a BitCorp computer Bit90 with all 3 BitCorp cartridges with their labels upside down. So, I don't know.

Seeing these 3 games is very unusual, and here in a neat condition, it's suspect to me but it's possible.

I think only one man can find out for sure if they are legits or not simply based on pictures of them, if only we can have a picture of the bottom part where is the pcb.

Meteoric Shower exist in a original Cartridge from 1983 with production number PG 903. The cart is use for Bit 90 and ColecoVision and this game is extremely rare.

I could ask him to look for a production number, is it possible to look at the bottom of the cart and see this number? Where exactly is it because I don't want to tell him what to look for but where to look for it that way if he gives me that number then I guess they are real.

Correct Daniel, they are AtariSoft style orange labels, but one piece. I've got Pac Man, Joust, and Dig Dug all from AA in that style. Can post pics later if anyone wants to see those. (Or here is a link to an online pic of the AA style label... http://www.gamesdbas...84_-_Atari.jpg)

To be honest with you, I'd have NO CLUE what to look for on the Bit Corp carts, I've never seen one in person! icon_smile.gif

Yeah I have the dig dug one as well but didn't know they created a joust thanks.

Because I don't have a Bitcorp cartridge myself, not even a Bit90 computer. So, I can't help you on this, and unfortunately I've lost contact with the expert I know.

Each publisher/manufacturer are using different casings (not the same shape) and also different pcbs (some aren't green color). If it looks too much as a regular ColecoVision cartridge, it's suspect (like having a coleco logo on the back side of the cartridge).

Bit Corp cartridge has been duplicated more than offen

Wich makes identification real pain

I suspect all Bit Corp games you showed as "fake"

All fake except for Meteoric Shower wich is the most common of all Bit Corp Games out there... could be a legit one...

The guy got all them! well like Daniel said, it could be possible but I would rather say: Very suspect

All said, Does this guy is from Europe? Does he ask good prices for them?

Does this guy got great feedback? Will he accept return if the games are not legit?

I could be wrong but unles that guy is a hardcore collector, it is almost imposible he got all those ,... my 2 cents

Edited by retroillucid

Hey guys,

I was wondering if some of your expertise could help me out. I have been talking to this guy about buying some stuff from him and was wondering if you could authenticate these things since I have never seen them before.

One of the pictures has a Joust cart. I was wondering if this was the re-release going around or if someone just put a rom in a cart and made the label.

Another picture has his Bit Corp collection -- (Meteoric Shower, Tank Wars, Cosmic Crisis) - Once again I have never seen the true picture of these carts so I do not know if they are real or not.

Finally the last picture has the Ms Space Fury with Box. -- Does this look like what was released by Daniel? I forgot who created it.

Thanks for any help you can give me guys.

Everyone else had answered most..

I just want to say for the record, I have all three bit corp games, authentic..

I cannot tell from those photos... only way to tell in a photo like that is to see the bottom connectors.

If they were not in that plastic baggie it would be easier to tell... the labels look too glossy though, from what I can see.

Like has been said.. I only know of about 3 Meteroic Shower carts in existence, maybe 3 Tank Wars, and maybe 2 Cosmic Crisis...

Chances are really good, since almost everything else this guy is selling is "bootlegged"

FIREMAN- that looks cool... if it is colecovision, I have never seen that one.. looks like a south american bootleg (of frantic freddy?)!

best,

willie

FIREMAN- that looks cool... if it is colecovision, I have never seen that one.. looks like a south american bootleg (of frantic freddy?)!

Fireman is a recent homebrew release of a lost CV prototype that was found a couple of years ago.

Talk to ColecoNut about it! And nice to have news from you W.Berdan! ;-)

yeah I have fireman and it also comes with a box, not sure why this guy would not have the box for such a newer homebrew.

Coleconut still has them left so definitely contact him.

I have played it a couple of times and it is a neat little game. Definitely had fun playing it.

yeah I have fireman and it also comes with a box, not sure why this guy would not have the box for such a newer homebrew.

I have played it a couple of times and it is a neat little game. Definitely had fun playing it.

I think they were sold loose, too.

I think they were sold loose, too.

True, they've been also avalaible loose