IGNORED

5200 Retro Inspection In Retro Gamer Issue 80

Retro Rogue

Thanks, I watched the Youtube video preview and some (I think) 4 5200 homebrew pictures (!) The 5200 is so unpopular in England that the editor in chief of a retro-gaming magazine mistakenly calls it the "Atari 52 thousand"....

I found it hilarious when Darran's cat jumped in-frame onto the magazine and they shooed it away with a 'bugger off!'. HAW !

It's going to be another month or so before we get this issue in the USA no doubt. I loved the 7800 feature btw!

Thanks, I watched the Youtube video preview and some (I think) 4 5200 homebrew pictures (!) The 5200 is so unpopular in England that the editor in chief of a retro-gaming magazine mistakenly calls it the "Atari 52 thousand"....

I found it hilarious when Darran's cat jumped in-frame onto the magazine and they shooed it away with a 'bugger off!'. HAW !

It's going to be another month or so before we get this issue in the USA no doubt. I loved the 7800 feature btw!

Yah, I have 4 homebrews plus 2 Atari proto games that were released recently (Sinistar, Millipede). Got some of the Brits up in arms, because they feel it's cheating to include anything other than games released at that time. As I explained, "Perfect 10" is simply 10 games that you should try and play on the console now.

And Darran knows how to properly pronounce it, he just refuses to. ;)

Thanks about the 7800 feature.

Edited by wgungfu

Yah, I have 4 homebrews plus 2 Atari proto games that were released recently (Sinistar, Millipede). Got some of the Brits up in arms, because they feel it's cheating to include anything other than games released at that time. As I explained, "Perfect 10" is simply 10 games that you should try and play on the console now.

And Darran knows how to properly pronounce it, he just refuses to. ;)

Thanks about the 7800 feature.

i like how the reviewer calls it 5thousand2hundred i wonder if he calls the 2600 the 2thousand6hundred

i got scans of all the mags 1-50 i guess i got to wait till the pirates scan and pdf some more

i like how the reviewer calls it 5thousand2hundred i wonder if he calls the 2600 the 2thousand6hundred

i got scans of all the mags 1-50 i guess i got to wait till the pirates scan and pdf some more

Or you can go and purchase it when it comes out here, and support the mag so they can continue paying myself and others to write these great articles.

I'm a contributor to and strong supporter of Retro Gamer, do you really want to brag how you're dealing with illegal copies and support ripping it off?

Edited by wgungfu

Just a heads up, the latest issue has a 5200 Retro Inspection in it by yours truly. Only a 4 pager, so I couldn't fit as much in as the 7800 one.

I buy RG occasionally nowadays, but I did buy #79 because it had the 7800 article in it!! I still havent got around to reading it, but I will now! Didn't they do a 'retro inspection' on the 5200 back in issue 13?? Its one of the early ones I missed! Guess I will be heading into town to collect the latest edition as well now!! :thumbsup:

As for the 5200 being 'sooooooo' unpopular in the UK - it was never released here & costs a fortune to ship across - I should know I've done it 4 times :D

I buy RG occasionally nowadays, but I did buy #79 because it had the 7800 article in it!! I still havent got around to reading it, but I will now! Didn't they do a 'retro inspection' on the 5200 back in issue 13?? Its one of the early ones I missed! Guess I will be heading into town to collect the latest edition as well now!! :thumbsup:

As for the 5200 being 'sooooooo' unpopular in the UK - it was never released here & costs a fortune to ship across - I should know I've done it 4 times :D

I don't remember which issue number, but I remember that was the 1st issue of RG that I got. Back then I never saw it anywhere and Dennis Debro mailed me a copy, because I was interviewed for it. That issue had a big Star Wars feature in it too.

Here, I found a thread about the issue from 2005:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/65013-ron-lloyd-in-retro-gamer/

Edited by Cafeman

Didn't retro gamer already do an expos'e on the 5200 in it's original format (not the 5200, the magazine), i defo remember it, unfortunately i lost that particular issue

Yes, isn't that the same thing as everybody is referring to in Issue 13? That was RG's "original format", before the new crew took over many issues later.

Didn't retro gamer already do an expos'e on the 5200 in it's original format (not the 5200, the magazine), i defo remember it, unfortunately i lost that particular issue

Yes, isn't that the same thing as everybody is referring to in Issue 13? That was RG's "original format", before the new crew took over many issues later.

Volume 2 #1. Under the previous owners, and it was full of a lot errors. Likewise it had a bulk of material (including pictures) ripped off from Curt's site. I specifically wanted to stay away from that article (which I have a copy of) as far as the content I covered. This one goes over more of the development and design decisions going back from the 3200 (original System X) onwards. I only had 4 pages to work with, so I didn't have as much room to cover things as I did with the 7800 one.

Volume 2 #1. Under the previous owners, and it was full of a lot errors. Likewise it had a bulk of material (including pictures) ripped off from Curt's site. I specifically wanted to stay away from that article (which I have a copy of) as far as the content I covered. This one goes over more of the development and design decisions going back from the 3200 (original System X) onwards. I only had 4 pages to work with, so I didn't have as much room to cover things as I did with the 7800 one.

So I guess your piece/article is a whole new article and no way relates to the original article (if that makes sence)

Might be worth going to the newsagent's soon then

So I guess your piece/article is a whole new article and no way relates to the original article (if that makes sence)

That's correct, nothing I wrote was in any way based off the older article. Written completely from scratch, just looked at the older one to see what different overall slant I wanted to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Issue #80 has hit the stands in American Barnes and Noble stores as of last week.

I'm a 5200 fan so I greatly enjoyed the article, Marty. With the prior 7800 one and this one, its been a very nice change from the usual I-phone , Sensible, and "Speccy" content.

Overall I really enjoyed the other features of issue 80 - the Batman Returns comparisons of games on the various systems was truly a walk down memory lane. Just like the one on Jurassic Park games from another recent RG issue, the Sega CD version came out as the game of choice from all those conversions. And I agreed.

Seeing the four AtariAge-sold homebrews in the "Perfect Ten" game list was originally unexpected and made this issue one I'll need to keep safe to show others, since 2 were my own games. Too bad RetroGamer mistakenly put in the word "Planned" peripheral when describing the excellent 5200 Trak-Ball, since it obviously WAS released (I own two m'self). One cannot help wondering if Al will see a brief spike in 5200 game orders from the AA store (including Millipede and Sinistar, also listed in the list).

To borrow a quote: Excelsior! :)

Issue #80 has hit the stands in American Barnes and Noble stores as of last week.

I'm a 5200 fan so I greatly enjoyed the article, Marty. With the prior 7800 one and this one, its been a very nice change from the usual I-phone , Sensible, and "Speccy" content.

Overall I really enjoyed the other features of issue 80 - the Batman Returns comparisons of games on the various systems was truly a walk down memory lane. Just like the one on Jurassic Park games from another recent RG issue, the Sega CD version came out as the game of choice from all those conversions. And I agreed.

Seeing the four AtariAge-sold homebrews in the "Perfect Ten" game list was originally unexpected and made this issue one I'll need to keep safe to show others, since 2 were my own games. Too bad RetroGamer mistakenly put in the word "Planned" peripheral when describing the excellent 5200 Trak-Ball, since it obviously WAS released (I own two m'self). One cannot help wondering if Al will see a brief spike in 5200 game orders from the AA store (including Millipede and Sinistar, also listed in the list).

Are there any plans to get your two 5200 games over to 7800?

Are there any plans to get your two 5200 games over to 7800?

or even to the computer ie 800xl etc

• 3 weeks later...

This is not really related to this subject but I was wondering if they're was a special deal on the retro Gamer Magazine for the AtariAge users?

I tink that I saw something last year but could not find it!

Thanks

Glad to hear people are enjoying the article and the magazine. Yes we will cover old ground, but this is more to do with us wanting to do our versions. I've been on the magazine since it's relaunch and I just like having the final say on stuff ;)

There was a subscription discount originally for US subs, but I think that may have finished. I'll look into it and see what's happening.

Darran

I just picked up the issue at Barnes and Noble here in TN. It's a good read. I have the earlier issue too, and they are very different.

I used to buy Retro Gamer and Linux Format every month (both excellent), but have had to cut back because they are so expensive as imports to the USA (and I have less money for extras these days). But this is a good one to buy if you have to choose. I never knew about the game Frisky Tom before this one, nor about why Jack Tramiel brought the 5200 back for a short while.