IGNORED

Expansion Modules #1 and #2

Curt Vendel

To get the plastic's costs in line and make them affordable I thought about releasing two versions of the expansion modules:

Expansion Module #1: High Score Module

This would be just the features of the High Score Cartridge in the expansion module plastics versus the stack-ontop cart to cart design I did back in 2000-2001.

Would look to sell these around $59.99

Expansion Module #2: High Score/Expanded RAM/Pokey Audio/ Yamaha Audio/ I/O Expansion Ports

Would look to still do these around $89-$99 (can't do $79 with the extra audio and I/O sections)

Now to make this possible, I need to get initially around 250-300 confirmed buyers, so I'm putting something together for a sign-up site and pre-release reservation system.

The tooling is going to run me close to $9,000 so I need to do some kind of downpayment, maybe around $25 to both guarantee the orders and also to help offset the costs of production as I can't put the full amount out of pocket.

This would happen around mid-Sept and it will be 30 days for the tooling to be made and readied, so I want to make sure everything is ready and set to go, all that would be needed is to receive the plastics and do the assembly.

Any feedback and/or comments would be appreciated, thanks.

Curt

This would be just the features of the High Score Cartridge in the expansion module plastics versus the stack-ontop cart to cart design I did back in 2000-2001.

Does this just have the high score feature or is there room for expansion so users can add a pokey, RAM, etc.

Does this just have the high score feature or is there room for expansion so users can add a pokey, RAM, etc.

No, the PCB would be HSC only. The SIO and Keyboard boards would be blocked off.

So you'd need 250-300 for both combined to make this work? Sounds like the best way to go about it for plastic mold costs since some may not want anything more than the high score module. It's just too bad there won't be a way for them to upgrade later. I personally have no problem making a down payment or even giving you the entire preorder price. I won't be flipping out and calling you a scam artist.

OK, but as of right now, depending on how my dispute with my credit card company pans out, I'd need to send you a check or money order, though, so I'd be willing to send it in to you early, possibly for the full amount, if possible. :)

* I'll do a number two (2), too. :)

My loaded question:

What games will there be for the Expansion Module when it launches? I'm highly supportive of this unit though I will hold off paying until I know there's a game or two that's completed and ready to go.

Duh, Im gonna need some games as well for this thing. Where is the menu?

My loaded question:

What games will there be for the Expansion Module when it launches? I'm highly supportive of this unit though I will hold off paying until I know there's a game or two that's completed and ready to go.

Countdown until Groovybee comes in here to bitch you out for daring to ask what games will be available for it: in 5...4...3...

My loaded question:

Countdown until Groovybee comes in here to bitch you out for daring to ask what games will be available for it: in 5...4...3...

This thread is suppose to be about the Expansion module, not your grievances with GroovyBee.

From just glancing over the various topics in this forum, from the four top-rate programmers I know of who are already on-board, I count three games in the works and digging a little further can surmise a couple of others titles that were put aside because of limited resources that might be polished off. And the module isn't even out. ;)

I'll take 1 of each configuration, a #1 and a #2, please. ;)

Such comments really aren't warranted. Please do not make such unnecessary comments like this in here again, especially when they target a specific individual.

• Like 1

Such comments really aren't warranted. Please do not make such unnecessary comments like this in here again, especially when they target a specific individual.

Sarcasm, the internet's worst enemy.

I'm merely jokingly pointing to the fact that when I asked the same question a month ago in another thread about the 7800 XM, I was screamed at to holy hell for it. It's a touchy subject. I'd like to know what games will be available too. But everyone who has asked has gotten the same pat answer to date:

"homebrewers will announce what games they are working on when they are ready. Until they do, STOP ASKING."

• Like 1

From just glancing over the various topics in this forum, from the four top-rate programmers I know of who are already on-board, I count three games in the works and digging a little further can surmise a couple of others titles that were put aside because of limited resources that might be polished off. And the module isn't even out. ;)

I'll take 1 of each configuration, a #1 and a #2, please. ;)

I know of two that have been sort of announced:

Groovybee's Dungeon, which looks like a fantastic Gauntlet style crawler.

and possibly, opcode is working on a proper Donkey Kong Arcade.

There's also the possibility that Pac-Man Collection, Pokey Edition will be ready for it as well.

Groovybee also has a WIP Tempest port, but that was runnign on standard 7800 hardware, so I don't know if it will be XM needed to run it, unless he's planning on adding a bunch of features to it that require the XM.

Beyond that, I've seen a bunch of wishlists of games people would like to see from non-developers, but that's about it.

I'm in for the full blown version as well... Kurt, Just wake me up when you need some up front money. :)

I'll also go on the record saying that keeping costs down on a design is a real PITA. I'm fighting that battle as well and the end result is that I'm going to have to make some decisions and trade offs if I want to sell any units. That said, quantity typically can equal a price break, so buying a bunch of parts is cheaper, but that is typically a larger initial outlay. I haven't even investigated a custom case like Curt is, and know that to just break even he's gonna have a ton of shells sitting around the workshop.

For my own effort, I will be happy and amazed if I break even -- excluding the bits I have bought to prototype everything, and I'm still not done prototyping. :P

Hex.

[ Now if I can keep my office empty for more than 20 min. stretches I'll be good to go... :D ]

Numbers are always an issue...and a month isn't a great deal of lead-time for some folks. You might want to extend the feelers out to other Atari and general gaming sites a bit - not all of them whose regulars would visit this place in a timely manner for a project like this. A lot of folks would probably like a plain high-score cart. If the other portion is delayed a bit because of the economics, I think people will understand. A couple of demos will whet peoples appetites, again.

Edited by AtariNerd