IGNORED

Expansion Modules #1 and #2

Curt Vendel

I understand the whole chicken/egg dilemma. From an end-users perspective it's like buying hardware without a definite software reason. I got the gear, where's the games?

Intentions to support the scene and techno-lust can also be defeated by paying for mortgages, cars, kids and, er, 7800 carts :)

Suggestion #1: Make sure a complete, easy to set up toolchain is available for the 7800 and your peripheral. If I knew I could program for this baby on day one I'd have a reason (besides somebody else's games) to buy. Of course, bB for the 7800 is a pipe dream but we're all dreamers here, right?

Suggestion #2: This one would really seal the deal for me. Make some of the advantages work for the 2600 and BatariBASIC. If not RAM then at least save game/score support. Post inline assembly or a module to work with BatariBASIC and 2600 assembly.

Definitely gotta go for #2 option on this one. Might I asl what again is the Yamaha chip used? Is it the YM2151?

Yuppers.

I have to say, that prior to this, I was pretty naive of how much use it got as an audio powerhouse of many an arcade game in the late 80's/ 90's and just how much it is in use in the chip-music scene, today, but it has now spurred a level of interest in me. :D A TIA, a POKEY and a YM2151 in one console... create a basic tracker and rig up an external control and the possibilities are very interesting, indeed. (Provided using all three doesn't hog more cycles than can be feasibly used.)

Its a little more complicated, everything is being tied into single PLD to replace much of the ttl logic for the circuits, so you'd have to add in all of the necessary components for it to work, that's why I would've just do a HSC populated only PCB in the High Score Module as there is a lot more to it that just that...

I'm considering jumping on board here.

Could a socket-only, supply your own POKEY be an option - cut costs a bit by having that option for those of us who've got dozen/s of the things lying around.

The Pokey is default disabled in the XM so it would not interfere with games or products that have an obnoard pokey on them.

One question: I have the POKEY version of Beef Drop, will this work will the option #2 if I want to use the HSC feature only?

Is the two POKEY will get into conflict? Is there anyway to disable the expansion pokey so I could use the HSC part?

Thanks

Adding a YM2151 is just great it makes the XM even more valuable.

One question, will it be possible to disable the inbuilt HSC feature?

Since the Cuttle Cart doesn’t work with the HSC it would be a nice have option to switch HSC on/off else it wouldn’t be possible to use the CC as development device in conjunction with the XM , right?