IGNORED

2 small problems with the COLECOVISION SD MULTICART

lucifershalo

I finally installed all the files and can enjoy that wonderful multicart

but I have 2 small problems:

-the list on the screen

is too far left and so I am missing the first (one or two) characters of each line

I didnt change any settings on my TV and I didnt have that problem with the previous USB multicart

-with some of the games, I tried to use the reset button

the message "turn off the colecovision before inserting a game or expansion module" or something like that.....

Hit both reset buttons... I can't remember the order.

There's another thread about the use of all 32 columns instead of the middle 30.

The reset procedure with the SD cart is the same as the 128-in-1 cartridge.

Press the reset button on the cartridge, if the menu/boot screen does not appear, tap the reset button on the console.

When I wrote the menu software I was unaware that the first and last characters of the Colecovision's 32 character mode were partially 'off screen' for TV users.

I just got back from vacation and once I catch up on things I'll release a 'narrow display' option or menu binary that only uses the 30 characters that are visible for TV users.

Steve

I've noticed the cart's reset button doesn't reset the system for me either.... what exactly does that little reset button do?

I don't mind hitting reset on the console but perhaps the cartridge's reset button serves another function?

regardless, I really like this cart! One cart to stay in the Coleco for a long time! :)

-the list on the screen

is too far left and so I am missing the first (one or two) characters of each line

I didnt change any settings on my TV and I didnt have that problem with the previous USB multicart

That you didn't have this problem in the old 128-in-1 is probably because the first character there is '<'. So you are probably only missing the '<'. All full line is like:

"<100> Game name" for rom number 100.

I'm using a PAL ColecoVision on a 32" LCD screen(using RF) and the first character is for more than half off the screen. But at the right side there is some space left after the last character.

It could be that if you have made a composite video out modification that the screen position is a little different than with RF.

Robert

I've noticed the cart's reset button doesn't reset the system for me either.... what exactly does that little reset button do?

I don't mind hitting reset on the console but perhaps the cartridge's reset button serves another function?

regardless, I really like this cart! One cart to stay in the Coleco for a long time! :)

If you hit reset on only the console, it will reset the game in progress back to the title screen (like a retail cart was in there). Hitting the reset on the cart itself on the other hand tells it to "remove" the game, and then following up with reset on the console afterward brings you back to the SD cart menu.

Trust me, both resets are needed and welcomed ;)

regardless, I really like this cart! One cart to stay in the Coleco for a long time! icon_smile.gif

If you hit reset on only the console, it will reset the game in progress back to the title screen (like a retail cart was in there). Hitting the reset on the cart itself on the other hand tells it to "remove" the game, and then following up with reset on the console afterward brings you back to the SD cart menu.

Trust me, both resets are needed and welcomed icon_wink.gif

I don't understand... why would I want to hit 2 buttons to reset the system when I can hit one. Am I missing something with the 2 reset button deal here? Regardless, I'm enjoying this cart. Mario Bros and Mr Chin are fun as well.... which made the cart such a great deal an even better deal!

regardless, I really like this cart! One cart to stay in the Coleco for a long time! icon_smile.gif

Trust me, both resets are needed and welcomed icon_wink.gif

I don't understand... why would I want to hit 2 buttons to reset the system when I can hit one. Am I missing something with the 2 reset button deal here? Regardless, I'm enjoying this cart. Mario Bros and Mr Chin are fun as well.... which made the cart such a great deal an even better deal!

Sometimes, hitting the reset button on the cartridge is not quite enough to return to the game selection menu. You have to press the reset button on the console to "confirm" the operation.

The following video will be deleted soon. I'm showing the effect of a scanline issue while using a good old tv set with the ColecoVision game system. Here, we can see a menu sample of AtariMax USB Coleco multicart where the first part on each line is almost not there, and a tiny homebrew game that print text on screen where letters on the far left side are just not visible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvMzT4Vnwww

• 5 weeks later...

Cartridge reset botton doesnt work for me either. I just get same screen that comes when there isnt cartridge at Colecovision. Please turn off power and insert cartridge. Also I cant get Transend 4GB SD cart work. I have format FAt32 with Windows XP and copy files to Coleco directory. Just give error #1 Cant read SD cart. Card that come with cartridge works.

Sometimes I get Fatal MFU timeout with card that come with cartridge.

Edited by Mika73

Cartridge reset botton doesnt work for me either. I just get same screen that comes when there isnt cartridge at Colecovision. Please turn off power and insert cartridge. Also I cant get Transend 4GB SD cart work. I have format FAt32 with Windows XP and copy files to Coleco directory. Just give error #1 Cant read SD cart. Card that come with cartridge works.

The cartridge reset button just dump the game from the SRAM(I think), which allow you to hit the reset button on your Colecovision to go back to the menu. So you don't have to powercycle the console to go back to the menu. I think 32MB card is enough to hold almost all the game that are out on Colecovision, 4GB would be overkill if it would be only be used for the Colecovision, unless someone make a FMV game like Dragon Lair.

Seperate issue, screen saver. When you leave the game alone for a while, it turns off the screen. The screen doesn't come back.

Wonder if you could transfer your own pics to SD cart, like those screenshots of games and watch them with Colecovision :)

No idea how convert anyway.. But some pic viewer would be fun.

Yes. I think also that 4GB is overkill, but I had one card and use for it. For some reason it wont work.

I would send Steve (classics here on AtariAge) a message about your 4GB Transend card not working. It should work, if it is not damaged and is FAT formated.

I would send Steve (classics here on AtariAge) a message about your 4GB Transend card not working. It should work, if it is not damaged and is FAT formated.

Yeah. I did email him. Also tryed Transend SDHC 8GB card, it gives same error those are also FAT32. There wasnt system file and Coleco directory, but it should try load card and not give error #1 Cant read SD card.