IGNORED

New Cartridge available!

mega-hz

Hi Folks,

i made a new Cartridge wich takes 512K to 2048K of memory.

image009.jpg

It works with 512K/1024K FLASH for sometime-i-want-to-change-users,

512K/1024K SRAM (incl. battery backup!) for fast writing, programming, tersting...

512K,1024K or even 2048K of EPROM like 27040,27080 for end-users.

It offers the 8K Mode like the ATARIMAX Cartridges and also the 16K Mode like MEGACART Carts.

Bankswitching per $D5xx, >$D57F turns the Cart off.

It has an ENABLE/ON Switch, a reset button, a writeprotect switch and the mode switch.

Some LEDs indicate the state of the Cart.

But take a minute and have a look to my website...

MEGAMAX CART

Wolfram.

Edited by mega-hz
  • Like 1

Wow! I'd love to use it for programming flash ROMs for my Lynx EPROM cart, for example.

BTW: is it possible to buy empty cartridge cases like this one?

Sorry, the Megamax-PCB was specialy designed for this Aluminium-Case,

an empty Case wont make you happy... "normal" Cart-PCB like the ATARI-ones wont fit.

Okay, I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to the reusable cartridges. What is the best for a casual user who wants to flash cartridge ROMs over and over and over for the sake of testing/fiddling?

If you like to programm and test a lot, the SRAM Version would be right for you!

The SRAM Version has a backup-battery, so you dont loose your Data even for a year or more..

A nice thing with SRAM is:

You switch the Cart on, turn off the write-potect and boot your atari.

Your Atari uses the 8000-BFFF or the A000-BFFF Area as normal Ram, but it is the RAM of the Cart.

you can assemble directly to those areas, put write-protect switch on an make a reset.

Now your programm is in the Cart...

Looks really cool! Now which version to order?

quite simple i think: ALL :)

Is there a discount for buying one of each? :)

Does it fit in all Atari 8-bit cartridge slots including the 1200XL?

fits in ALL XL/XE, 1200XL included!

Only 1400XL and 1450XLD are not yet testet! :-)

About discount we could talk via email...

Edited by mega-hz

Okay, I'm kind of out of the loop when it comes to the reusable cartridges. What is the best for a casual user who wants to flash cartridge ROMs over and over and over for the sake of testing/fiddling?

There's no real need to burn/erase/burn for testing, my Maxflash Studio software will let you test instantly in an emulator by just pressing the Preview button.

You can flash to a real cart via the USB programmer very quickly if you want to test on real hardware, but for nearly everything the emulator result will be identical to the real hardware.

You can get the Maxflash Studio software at my Flash Cartridge URL below. There is also a link directly to the download on the mega-hz page above.

In fact, if you wanted to make some nice menu driven on-click game collections for use in the emulator, you can use the Maxflash Studio for that too. You don't even need a real Atari or cartridges to make use of the completed cartridge images.

Steve

Edited by classics

There's no real need to burn/erase/burn for testing, my Maxflash Studio software will let you test instantly in an emulator by just pressing the Preview button.

You can flash to a real cart via the USB programmer very quickly if you want to test on real hardware, but for nearly everything the emulator result will be identical to the real hardware.

You can get the Maxflash Studio software at my Flash Cartridge URL below. There is also a link directly to the download on the mega-hz page above.

In fact, if you wanted to make some nice menu driven on-click game collections for use in the emulator, you can use the Maxflash Studio for that too. You don't even need a real Atari or cartridges to make use of the completed cartridge images.

Steve

Thats right, steve.

The Catridge supports also the 16K mode, for that mode TFHH is writing a nice Cart-Construction Software wich allows some nice new Features.

Some people rather like to programm on the real Hardware, me too.

Although your Flashstudio is a real nice thing!

Maybe you like to support the 16K Mode with up to 2MB too?

Wolfram.

Wow! I'd love to use it for programming flash ROMs for my Lynx EPROM cart, for example.

BTW: is it possible to buy empty cartridge cases like this one?

Sorry, the Megamax-PCB was specialy designed for this Aluminium-Case,

an empty Case wont make you happy... "normal" Cart-PCB like the ATARI-ones wont fit.

Unless I can also design my own PCB for this case, which makes sense only if there are any empty cases for sale ;)

As for the Flash ROMs - PM sent.

Steve

I thought you would like real hardware otherwise it defeats the purpose of making hardware if you think it's going to be the same on an emulator. I use emulator but still play around with real machine. For one thing palette is always wrong on emulator and things look blockier.

I'm interested in this cartridge, but what's that in US $ total including shipping? I guess SRAM would be good enough if the battery lasts long enough. Is that a cr2032 type battery?

Hi,

here some answers:

SpartadosX can not run on this cart, sorry.

The XEGS Mode wasn`t planned, maybe in a futere version.

With the SRAM Version should it be possible, to use the SRAM as Momory in 8000-BFFF in a 400/600XL, but i didnt try it.

The feature with the sram-type is simple: You can patch or programm every byte without erasing the hole chip like a flash.

If your program is ready, turn on the writeprotect and it will be a normal cart.

The Battery (CR2032 or so) should keep the data for about 5-8 years ...

Regards,

Wolfram.

Hi,

here some answers:

With the SRAM Version should it be possible, to use the SRAM as Momory in 8000-BFFF in a 400/600XL, but i didnt try it.

The feature with the sram-type is simple: You can patch or programm every byte without erasing the hole chip like a flash.

If your program is ready, turn on the writeprotect and it will be a normal cart.

Regards,

Wolfram.

Is that flash chip socketed in the Flash cartridge? I.e., can I swap in/out another 29F010 or 29F020 or 29F040 chip?

Hi,

here some answers:

Regards,

Wolfram.

Is that flash chip socketed in the Flash cartridge? I.e., can I swap in/out another 29F010 or 29F020 or 29F040 chip?

Hi,

yes,only a 74LS123 is soldered, all other Chips are socketed!

I didn`t try it with 29F020/010, but i think it will be working!

There are 8 Jumpers inside for Config, so you can swap the flash-chips with sram or eproms.

Official supportet are

1 or 2 512K SRAM,

1 or 2 29F040 Flashroms,

1 or 2 27C040 EPROMs,

1 or 2 27C080 Eproms.

Everyone who buys a megamax cart will also get the GAL-Sources and the shematics,

so own creations are good possible!

regards,

Wolfram.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the status of this, please?

Hi,

here some answers:

Regards,

Wolfram.

Hi,

yes,only a 74LS123 is soldered, all other Chips are socketed!

I didn`t try it with 29F020/010, but i think it will be working!

There are 8 Jumpers inside for Config, so you can swap the flash-chips with sram or eproms.

Official supportet are

1 or 2 512K SRAM,

1 or 2 29F040 Flashroms,

1 or 2 27C040 EPROMs,

1 or 2 27C080 Eproms.

Everyone who buys a megamax cart will also get the GAL-Sources and the shematics,

so own creations are good possible!

regards,

Wolfram.

Official supportet are

1 or 2 512K SRAM,

1 or 2 29F040 Flashroms,

1 or 2 27C040 EPROMs,

1 or 2 27C080 Eproms.

What is the status of this, please?

Also, I would like to know if you could sell one cart with e.g. the SRAM fitted and separate flash-ROM, and if so, what would be the price?

I have no use for two carts, but I would like to be able to rejumper the cart and have both options available for testing/fiddling etc. I could of course get the flash-ROM or SRAM myself, but I suppose you got a better deal when buying in bulk?

And how about without the aluminum casing? (yes, I know, I'm cheap ;) well rather poor)