IGNORED

XE Cart Port Adaptor

WIZZARD77

Hello Wizzard77

Why not try an find somebody who can make a small production run of PCB based extenders? Cable will flex and is prone to break internally. So unless you're planning to plug one cartridge in and leave it in, "PCB" is the way to go.

sincerely

Mathy

I made & sold these boards, a while back:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/88968-new-xe-pbi-extndr-production-run/

I can make more, but It's not worth it unless I get at least 30 or so preorders.. I dont have any money to dump into it at the moment.. And I could not assemble them until after sept. 10th.. If I get enough prepaid orders though, I could go ahead and submit the order to the PCB maker and have the boards ready to assemble (a couple days work at most) right after sept. 10th..

It plugs in the back of your XE and gives you two vertical cart slots, and an 800XL style PBI connector out the back..

I made & sold these boards, a while back:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/88968-new-xe-pbi-extndr-production-run/

I can make more, but It's not worth it unless I get at least 30 or so preorders.. I dont have any money to dump into it at the moment.. And I could not assemble them until after sept. 10th.. If I get enough prepaid orders though, I could go ahead and submit the order to the PCB maker and have the boards ready to assemble (a couple days work at most) right after sept. 10th..

It plugs in the back of your XE and gives you two vertical cart slots, and an 800XL style PBI connector out the back..

I'd be interested in one or 2. But I'd like to see a pic. the link you posted does not show any pics. Also is it sturdy enough to handle the push and pull of cartridges like an 800 of XL, and not break contact with the port, or just break apart at all with normal use?

Its the same exact board made by ICD for use with the MIO on the XE series.. Those have lasted 25 years now without "breaking apart".. No, it doesnt break connection with the ECI interface when you plug & unplug carts.. It uses the same cart connectors that are soldered onto the motherboards in all ATARIs.. That said, it is not made so that a monkey with a sledge hammer cannot destroy it either.. You do have to use reasonable care when plugging and unplugging carts.. But as long as you arent a musclebound retard with an attitude, it should last many years with everyday use..

post-8775-128229005508_thumb.jpg

If I made another run, Id go ahead and opt for gold contacts on the ECI and PBI edges, and also get the green soldermask and silkscreening.. The board in the picture has tinned contacts with no soldermask or silkscreening. Also note that the picture is shown with an MIO ribbon cable plugged onto the PBI side of the board.. This cable is NOT included with this board.. It's part of the MIO..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

Its the same exact board made by ICD for use with the MIO on the XE series.. Those have lasted 25 years now without "breaking apart".. No, it doesnt break connection with the ECI interface when you plug & unplug carts.. It uses the same cart connectors that are soldered onto the motherboards in all ATARIs.. That said, it is not made so that a monkey with a sledge hammer cannot destroy it either.. You do have to use reasonable care when plugging and unplugging carts.. But as long as you arent a musclebound retard with an attitude, it should last many years with everyday use..

post-8775-128229005508_thumb.jpg

If I made another run, Id go ahead and opt for gold contacts on the ECI and PBI edges, and also get the green soldermask and silkscreening.. The board in the picture has tinned contacts with no soldermask or silkscreening. Also note that the picture is shown with an MIO ribbon cable plugged onto the PBI side of the board.. This cable is NOT included with this board.. It's part of the MIO..

I'd get one... maybe two!

Hi Ken-

IF you do this, do you plan on offering "options" such as 1) finished product, 2) kit, 3) bare pcbs? I'd be interested in several bare boards if you plan to sell them that way. (I already have spare cart jacks on hand.)

-Larry

Wow.. Coolo. Didnt expect such a big response.. Well, maybe it is time to make more..

In answer to Larry's question about bare PCBs and Kits: Yes and Yes..

It's easy for me to assemble these things and I wont charge for assembly, but if you wanna do it yourself, thats great too.

Heres what I'll do:

Let me contact the board house and find out what the exact per board cost is gonna be on the PCB.. You guys ante up the cash for what you want, and I'll make a spreadsheet of who ordered what.. I have SOME cart conectors.. They are getting hard to procure for a decent price these days, so I'll let those go for $4.00 each.. Or you are welcome to source your own. I'll also check on shipping costs so I can give you guys some exact figures..

it is not made so that a monkey with a sledge hammer cannot destroy it either.. You do have to use reasonable care when plugging and unplugging carts.. But as long as you arent a musclebound retard with an attitude, it should last many years with everyday use..

I need two hands to pull BASIC out of my 800, and I do not house any primates in my home. (my 1st place beauty Padget wife appreciates this)

The heaviest carpenter tools I own might be a tack hammer & 3" needle-nose pliers. My many friends seem to think I'm fairly level-headed, with an slightly above average IQ, and many interests.

"That being said",

thank you for posting the picture of the device. I now have better understanding of it.

I would very mush like to procure 1 unit for myself and my 130XE, if the price + shipping is reasonable.

Thank you for your work in putting this out for the general Atari 8-bit community. :)

I would take some more, because there are some German ABBUC members who are interested and to save money for packing and shipping I would collect the orders so that we have to fight with customs only once (or you be ready until the end of September when I´m in Phoenix and could hand carry them home ;-) ).

So, what what would be the expected price for one item and how much could you put into a box for shipping?