IGNORED

Vaders rarer?

SlowCoder

I can understand the Heavy 6 being more valuable than most of the rest due to their more limited availability. But when I'm looking around on eBay, I see only a few Vaders, and the sellers are asking more than other consoles. Is it just me, or is there some reason yet unknown to me for this?

And what the heck is it with some of these people claiming Woodys as Vaders? I'd say about half of the ones labelled Vader are just 4 switch Woodys. Ugh!

And on the same subject, but not ...

Check this ebay list ... eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3205750909691?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320575090969&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Did your eyes bug out when you saw it? Yeah, I thought so. Is that a runaway auction, where the bidders just couldn't be one-upped? The console in that pic was in worse shape than mine, and I got mine cheapo. And I don't think any of the games are rare. Correct me if I'm off on this, but shouldn't something like that not go for more than maybe $100?

I can understand the Heavy 6 being more valuable than most of the rest due to their more limited availability. But when I'm looking around on eBay, I see only a few Vaders, and the sellers are asking more than other consoles. Is it just me, or is there some reason yet unknown to me for this?

If I am not mistaken, Vaders were produced around the video game crash. I still think though they are more common than the Heavy Sixer. Also, the Heavy Sixer not only has rarity going for it, it also has the fact that it was the very first edition. People tend to gravitate towards the first printing of anything.

And what the heck is it with some of these people claiming Woodys as Vaders? I'd say about half of the ones labelled Vader are just 4 switch Woodys. Ugh!

Yeah, I have been having a good laugh. I have seen about 10 this past week labeled incorrectly on Ebay. How dumb can one be?

Check this ebay list ... eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3205750909691?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320575090969&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Did your eyes bug out when you saw it? Yeah, I thought so. Is that a runaway auction, where the bidders just couldn't be one-upped? The console in that pic was in worse shape than mine, and I got mine cheapo. And I don't think any of the games are rare. Correct me if I'm off on this, but shouldn't something like that not go for more than maybe $100?

Most I have seen have been going anywhere between $50-$99. The only thing I can think of is being it was in Canada. Many Ebayers won't ship there, so there are fewer available to the Canadians .

Last week I contacted (via email) one uk web site correcting them on the desc of a VCS for sale. They claimed it was a PAL 1979 Sunnyvale heavy sixer and wanted £160 (with Joysticks, Paddles and Combat) for it. (All their VCSs - including 4 switch woodies were dated 1979 and 'original'). Needless to say it was a Sunnyvale light sixer - good condition mind you but not worth he asking price. After explaining the errors in their desc I got a nice reply back saying that the listing woul be changed.

To be honest you can forgive the extortionate prices (since only an idiot would pay them) if only they got their facts right.

In that ebay listing I would like to know what 'Uncommonly good condition' means? The joysticks are two diff colours and you can't restore a joystick - perhaps repair but not restore and I thought the heavy sixer joys had Atari inlays on the top of the stick part - as can just be seen on the 6 switch woody box.

I just hope the buyer isn't a trader and tries to sell it on for a profit. If just a collector can he spare some of that waisted dosh?

as someone who used to have stacks of 2600s taller than he is all locally bought for a song, i can tell you, the vader is the dog-ass most common 2600 system out there.

I think that may depend on where you are located.

In the past 15 years or so, I have seen only two Vaders. One was at a thrift shop and the other was in a speciality video game store. At the speciality store, an ordinary 4-switch was $100 and the Vader was about $150! :o

To give some perspective, over the same time period, I have seen exactly one Sears Telegames console -- and that was only a few weeks ago at a thrift shop. Sears-brand hardware (and games) were not sold in Canada.

as someone who used to have stacks of 2600s taller than he is all locally bought for a song, i can tell you, the vader is the dog-ass most common 2600 system out there.

Uh ... COUGH COUGH!!! I live in Tallahassee, dude! I'll come pick one of those babies up from you right now! Or you can just drop one in the mail and I'll pay shipping!

:lust: Purdy please??? :lust:

It's just going to depend on where you live. Like the local store probably orders systems 100 at a time or something.

I have only seen two vaders in my life, one of those I got for christmas 83. I've only see two six switches too, and I don't know if those were heavy or not. And I have never seen any of the third party or knockoffs, even the sears, which is more first party built for sears things. But that's because where I live, there isn't a sears. I see considerably more Jr systems. But almost all of them are various forms of 4 switch woodies.

To my understanding, the Vader is the last 4 switch model before the Jr was released. May have that wrong, but I bet there aren't as many as other versions, though I imagine there are of these than there are 6 switch any systems.

And just when you thought you saw it all;

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1304214617031?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=130421461703&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I have a vader, and nothing else. This is because I haven't been able to make myself order from eBay in a while and I have never seen a 2600 in the wild ever. I would love to have anything working with 6 switches. I can't stand the way changing difficulty works on a 4 switch. Having those up front is much better.

As a matter of fact most people I talk to about Atari here have only memories of what a 2600 looks like. Many say they think they still have it but have no idea where it is. I always offer to buy it if they find it, but so far I have what I started with and nothing more. Going to have to start buying lots on eBay and end up with multiples like everyone else I guess.

If you think this is all bad, check this:

http://savannah.craigslist.org/atq/1867867599.html

Thats something for you. I posted about it else where before just to find out if that was right, turns out this is a rip off as well. Its everywhere.

Please forgive me for adding fuel to the fire here but I have to ask this question.

My question concerns the Vader 2600. I read in another topic (on this forum) that Vader 2600 model allegedly "includes an additional chip that enhances the color of the playfield." Is this true? Would this mean the Vader is the best system for playing your 2600 games?

Please forgive me for adding fuel to the fire here but I have to ask this question.

My question concerns the Vader 2600. I read in another topic (on this forum) that Vader 2600 model allegedly "includes an additional chip that enhances the color of the playfield." Is this true? Would this mean the Vader is the best system for playing your 2600 games?

I've never heard of this. Well..I've heard of it, but I think it was something for like the Odyssey 3k or something. That, or one of those VIC controllers, but I only saw one of those, and it would work for anything set up to use it (or just plug random crap into it and see what comes out)