IGNORED

Seriously, DON'T go to atari7800.com

4Ks

I'm not sure if it was meant to be taken seriously. It's a fan page.

Thats kind of what I thought too.

Here's the problem with that explanation: the website is called "www.atari7800.com", which could mislead someone into thinking that it's an officially sanctioned site. B

I don't think so. Unless we were having this discussion in the year 1986. Mind you, there's more classic Atari content on atari7800.com than atari.com itself.

• Like 3

In addition to the comments above, putting a big FU on the front page brings it down to the level of adolescence. That sort of thing may be acceptable on an Xbox or PS3 website (since those consoles are extreme, after all :roll:), but it doesn't jibe well when applied to a console that's correlated to "older" people, in general. We don't want the more rational young people to get the wrong impression of our era of consoles, after all.

It'd be like going to a fan site for older movies from the 50s and 60s and seeing "If you don't like Bogart and Hepburn, then FU!"

• Like 5

In addition to the comments above, putting a big FU on the front page brings it down to the level of adolescence. That sort of thing may be acceptable on an Xbox or PS3 website (since those consoles are extreme, after all :roll:), but it doesn't jibe well when applied to a console that's correlated to "older" people, in general. We don't want the more rational young people to get the wrong impression of our era of consoles, after all.

It'd be like going to a fan site for older movies from the 50s and 60s and seeing "If you don't like Bogart and Hepburn, then FU!"

+1 :thumbsup:

Really, it's an embarrassment, and to say it's adolescent it giving it WAY too much credit. I think even my twelve year old would find it tacky.

• Like 1

Am I seriously the only one who doesn't watch Lost?

You are not alone. :D

Well, I guess noScript killed most of the seriously obnoxious material. (like that flash thing at the front page.) The game list page made me cockeyed though. Like being shot in the face with a shredded white-house document...

Hex.

[ Ooo... drama when I have a headcold... :P ]

I think it's being blown up too much. One person's website saying that isn't going to bring the huge atari 7800 mindshare & opinion(now celebrating it's 12th member!) down. I personally think it's funny.

It's not like there hasn't ever been swearing in video games, regardless of generations(from pong to the modern consoles).

I didn't know there was swearing in Pong. There will be when I'm through with it.

But even if it is a fan site, it's just needlessly crass and vulgar and gives the 7800 a bad reputation, especially among people who are learning about it for the first time. Those are the people that you really don't want to chase away from classic gaming: the hobby will die with us if we don't attract new people to it, and websites like this don't help.

I don't know, the amount of younger people (potetial new atari 7800 fans) that would find the F bomb front page funny most likely heavily outweigh the amount that would be offended, especially in the video game community (if you spend any time gaming online, I am sure you know what I mean - lol) I doubt they are scaring anyone away. I guess maybe young kids shouldn't see it but seriously, if the worst thing my I caught my Daughter looking at online was atari7800.com's front page, well, I would be quite relieved.

• Like 2

I thought it was a spoof on a line in "idiocracy" the one on the billboard where "if you don't smoke Tarltons, Then __ck you!"

Funny

it is.

If DeLorean is an atari7800.com publicist, she might be here to kick names and take butt! Look out!

• Like 2

Have any of you considered how much publicity you're giving the site? It's a counter-productive forum. Yes the site sucks, can we let it die now?

If you wish for it to die, then please stop bumping the topic. It is as simple as that.

Have any of you considered how much publicity you're giving the site? It's a counter-productive forum. Yes the site sucks, can we let it die now?

If you wish for it to die, then please stop bumping the topic. It is as simple as that.

animan was sorta the one who bumped it, seeing that he posted 5 minutes before mili

I never saw it when the *awful* f-bomb was there, but I think the site looks really cool. Not sure what all of the hate is about, except for the hot-linking.

Chris

Because there's a time, and a place, and often a humorous reason for the "f-bomb". This was none of those. It's like having a conversation with some 15 year old who thinks throwing it out every other word makes him more manly. Instead it shows everyone within earshot just how completely childish he actually is.