IGNORED

Best Electronics has the worst looking website ever

Lendorien

Seriously, how do they manage to stay in business. It's so messy and convoluted. And the crazy thing is, cheap templates are easy to find these days. It makes my eyes hurt. Do they think it's still 1994? 26 years in the business and they can't put together a website that's at least half way functional?

Edited by Lendorien

It might look bad, but their service is impeccable. Same goes for the variety of things they have. So everyone can see, here's a link:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

Ahh, thank you. While I wouldn't say it looks great, I know I couldn't do any better, in fact I think my 4 year old son could do a better job then I could, so I can't really judge. Besides, after reading what nathanallan said, to me those things are more important then a pretty web site, lol.

a fancy all singing all dancing website doesn't neccessarily equal good service

I think their site is laid out that way as an informational and reference point only, it wasn't designed to sell or market best electronics (remembering that their good/excellent reputation was built up before they put themselves on the web)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I decided to spruce up the site a little. Check it out here.

What do you think?

a fancy all singing all dancing website doesn't neccessarily equal good service

I think their site is laid out that way as an informational and reference point only, it wasn't designed to sell or market best electronics (remembering that their good/excellent reputation was built up before they put themselves on the web)

Seriously, though, the site is horrible because it's hard to find anything. Like, I know you can buy a Jaguar CD unit on that site, and it took me forever to find it. The page to place an order isn't even in an obvious location. The webpage needs to be functional.

The absence of online ordering is a pain in the a55 and the reason I have not bought more from them. How time consuming to wait for business hours and talk to a live person to place an order.

Then, they have this posted:

We have been supporting the Atari community for over 26 Years

Most Domestic orders shipped within 24 hours. International Worldwide orders within One to Two business days.

Over two and half Decades of accumulated Atari Technical / Repair Information and Atari Customer Support at one source.

Feed Back Rating: 810 Positive, 0 Neutral, O Negative (last 12 months)

540 Verified Buyers

4.9 rating out of 5 feedback rating, 70 Transactions

So, WTF is their eBay user ID?

It is copyrighted. HEH

Copyright © 2002 Best Electronics

Wait, there's NO online ordering? The year is 2010. Surely in our capitalist society there would be off-the-shelf web applications that would make creating an online store a no-brainer. What, is the website being run on an Atari 65XE?

Wonder if there's some volunteer effort they would accept to spruce up their website. Just no gaudy backgrounds like on atari7800.com. :)

The absence of online ordering is a pain in the a55 and the reason I have not bought more from them. How time consuming to wait for business hours and talk to a live person to place an order.

Then, they have this posted:

We have been supporting the Atari community for over 26 Years

Most Domestic orders shipped within 24 hours. International Worldwide orders within One to Two business days.

Over two and half Decades of accumulated Atari Technical / Repair Information and Atari Customer Support at one source.

Feed Back Rating: 810 Positive, 0 Neutral, O Negative (last 12 months)

540 Verified Buyers

4.9 rating out of 5 feedback rating, 70 Transactions

So, WTF is their eBay user ID?

Every order I have made from them was done online. You just have to email Brad Koda.

Or has he changed and doesn't do that anymore?

Edited by Atarian7

Every order I have made from them was done online. You just have to email Brad Koda.

Or has he changed and doesn't do that anymore?

The last order I did with them I had to call them up. There's no way I'm sending credit card info via email. At that time they did not have PayPal where they could just send me an invoice.

I suppose it would be easier now that they could send me a PayPal invoice.

I wish I could find the site again, but there was some legal advice(I think it was that) site in the UK where the main page was literally 1 MEG of pure HTML(mostly text). They literally jammed all of the content into the main page. Any link you clicked on took you to another page that was a meg. Just walls of text everywhere. It was the webification of that guy who just kept talking & talking long after people stopped listening.

I sent an email to give some constructive criticism, and got an automated reply full of text.

It's funny to see such clueless websites.

Whenever I ask where I can buy a "***" and someone directs me to Best Electronics, it makes my stomach churn. They got a lot of stuff, and from what I hear, good service, but you can't find anything. It's like the old days of mega spam advertising, only less well done.

I'm sure they got some good stuff, but I won't bother digging through it. You're right about the geocitys thing, I think it was them that started the whole "it's a free site....as long as you only have one page" thing, that BE is obviously inspired by.

It may be outdated, but if you are looking for Atari stuff its where you want to be. Pick up the catalog for a few bucks and just download the updates. You can find what you want. And yes email is the way to go, they will respond back with what they have and the current prices.

When I got my first 5200 four port it died within a few minutes. One phone call to them got me the help I needed in the form or a replacement motherboard. Picked up some controller rebuild parts while I was at it. Very knowledgeable over the phone, so don’t let the "retro" themed web site put you off from ordering from them.

Just be glad it’s not the 80's where you had to write to people by hand from an ad they posted in the back of a gaming magazine to see if they had what you wanted, and then pay by check!

On a side note I have to agree with Luc the eColeco site is even worse (unless of course you want scooter parts, which as far as I know Best doesn't sell...)

• Like 1

Retro website for retro hardware. Seems appropriate.

i wonder when internet nostalgia will begin to creep into the culture

I still prefer HTML 3.2. All you need are headers, lists, and anchors. Maybe a banner graphic and some inline illustrations. Oh, and tables used as tables, and not for layout. May not be the best for marketing, but it's the best way to get information across.

But then, if I had my way we'd be having this conversation on USENET. :D