IGNORED

Passthrough 2600

Cliff Friedel

Sure, PM me with it or reply. As for the end label, I think I want to stick with one line just because most Atari games use that format.

I'll PM you in a minute, but don't stalk me. That would be bad.

OK, one centered line it is. However, do you still want the gray color/blue text/same font? Or do you want a matching Atari end label?

Sure, PM me with it or reply. As for the end label, I think I want to stick with one line just because most Atari games use that format.

I'll PM you in a minute, but don't stalk me. That would be bad.

OK, one centered line it is. However, do you still want the gray color/blue text/same font? Or do you want a matching Atari end label?

Same font and color scheme as the front I would say.

Just noticed something. Playing this on the Harmony with my Atari 7800, the color was really smeary and dark. So dark I had trouble seeing the ship at some points. Also it seemed it double-read the button press more than in the emulator. Can someone please confirm this for me? If it is confirmed, I will have to lighten up the colors a bit to make it easier to see and lengthen the delay on the button press to insure that it doesn't double read. Thanks. Once I get info I will post a new version to try out.

Cliff

I was told by someone (RevEng or bAtari I forget?) to not use the first 3 colors in each, because on certain televisions they might show up as black or very close to black.

It definitely seems like it. There is a lot of bleed too that seems to not show up in the lighter values. I think I am going to have to redo the colors.

Cliff

Ok, I modified the colors so they are lighter. Let me know what you think. I kept the ship dark to keep the contrast but at the same time I don't want it to look black. I will check it out on the harmony later. Also, let me know if you run into any inconsistencies or bugs since I changed the code. As for the name, I am keeping it Passthrough for now. TooSlowGamer, can you modify the label with that name, just so we can see what it is like. Thanks. I will top post the new version also.

Cliff

BINARY

Passthrough2600v1.02.bin

hey, this is fun. i've been playing through the revisions, and it's gotten me hooked to try better each time.

my 2 cents - i like passthrough the best for the name (jump jet was good - i wasn't keen on jump rocket).

keep up the good work. the label is cool too. different, which is good. how does the one-line end label look?

I think I understand what you were trying to do style-wise with the 2600 title screen but..

..I think the numbers are too scrunched together to be recognizable by the end-user. My eyes were able to pick it out because I've been designing with playfield pixels too long :P

Even though I saw "2600" immediatly, I kinda agree. Could you try to put a pixel in between each number? Also, with the new kernel, it now says "2600 Passthrough" :P

I think I understand what you were trying to do style-wise with the 2600 title screen but..

..I think the numbers are too scrunched together to be recognizable by the end-user. My eyes were able to pick it out because I've been designing with playfield pixels too long :P

Even though I saw "2600" immediatly, I kinda agree. Could you try to put a pixel in between each number? Also, with the new kernel, it now says "2600 Passthrough" :P

Yeah, I am actually considering using the titlescreen kernel once it is finished and either removing the bitmap kernel or seeing if/how I can use them in tandem. Hopefully that will make a lot better titlescreen than what is up there now.

Yeah, I am actually considering using the titlescreen kernel once it is finished and either removing the bitmap kernel or seeing if/how I can use them in tandem. Hopefully that will make a lot better titlescreen than what is up there now.

I think the bitmap kernel being used is more important than having a superb title screen. It's OK now, it's just not perfect, but the bitmap kernel adds A LOT to your game.

• 1 month later...

Hi Cliff,

I had an idea for your game label, so I whipped up a quick comp. It's low res, and the ship image was something I found on Google images, but the angle, as well as the look/feel, worked for the concept.

See what you think.

-B

Now that is a cool label! :thumbsup: