IGNORED

Jaguar Dev System

philexile

Hello,

I have a chance to pick up a Jaguar Dev system that has a switch built in console to toggle between coding mode or normal game play mode. Has Jaguar Unmodified Game Server (JUGS) Disc. Comes with all boxes, 1 controller, etc.

How much do these usually go for and whats the advantage to my getting one?

Thanks!

Sounds like you've got a BJL Jaguar. The JUGS disc is useless on those, as BJL is a lot faster and more reliable. You may want to sell it to someone.

The advantage is that you can play most homebrew games without needing any extra hardware. Did you get the special Jaguar-to-parallel port cable with it as well ?

• Like 2

BJL?

I haven't gotten it yet. Yes, it comes with the serial connector and phone cord. How much do they usually go for?

Thanks!

Sounds like you've got a BJL Jaguar. The JUGS disc is useless on those, as BJL is a lot faster and more reliable. You may want to sell it to someone.

The advantage is that you can play most homebrew games without needing any extra hardware. Did you get the special Jaguar-to-parallel port cable with it as well ?

I have no idea about the prices, sorry.

It's a bit strange that your Jaguar has both the JUGS disc and cable (phone cord with serial connector), and a switchable boot ROM (which is used for BJL). They are two different ways of running or developing homebrews, so usually it's one or the other, not both. By the way, BJL requires a different cable : one end is a 15-pin connector which plugs into the Jaguar joypad port, and the other one is a 25-pin connector which plugs into a PC or Atari's parallel port.

If it is a JUGS setup then you might have Battlesphere as well.. that would go for a nice price.

BJL rocks! JUGS can load a game in 10 minutes verses BJL in 10 seconds.

It really is about that extreme, however, I cut my teeth loading games on the Jaguar with JUGS, so will always be thankful for that option.

• Like 1

Here is some more info:

- the CD is for a computer that the Jaguar attaches to

- the serial connector looks like an normal comp connector (parallel I assume)

The set is incomplete missing the motherboard attachment and the proper computer to run it (an old IBM or Atari computer?)

• Like 1

Hello,

Here is the picture:

img0364r.jpg

That gray adapter is a DB-9 to phone adapter. The cable looks like a standard phone line. I guess that the phone end plugs into a computer? There is a switch on the rear right side of the Jag that turns programming mode on and off. The JUGS disc was also included.

Does this setup makes sense now? What is it exactly?

Thanks!

Edited by philexile

Hello,

Here is the picture:

img0364r.jpg

That gray adapter is a DB-9 to phone adapter. The cable looks like a standard phone line. I guess that the phone end plugs into a computer? There is a switch on the rear right side of the Jag that turns programming mode on and off. The JUGS disc was also included.

Does this setup makes sense now? What is it exactly?

Thanks!

The adapter (and cable)and CD is part of Jugs but to make it work you also need one part of the Jaglink cable/connector or a catbox on the Jaguar end and most importantly a Battlesphere Gold cartridge.

So like this, you can't use it as far as I know.

You have different parts of two different development methods. So considering that with the switch on the back of your jaguar you purchased a bjl modded console, you could make yourself a bjl cable or look out for one of those adapters which plug into Joaypad port 2 and let you connect the jag to your pc. Like this you can also load homebrews into ram, exactly what Jugs does aswell but at slower speed and the cost of Battlesphere on top.

Edited by PeterG
  • Like 2

Yes, what's on the photo are parts of the JUGS development set, but without the rest it's unusable, and probably not worth much. Someone who already has the Battlesphere Gold cartridge may be interested in buying it from you.

Maybe the switch isn't a "mode" selector, but a reset or 50/60 Hz switch ? That would make more sense for a console used with JUGS. Do you have any way to know what the switch does exactly when it's toggled (since you haven't bought the console yet if I understood correctly) ?

I just got it in the mail, so its mine now. :)

I'd like to 'complete' it I suppose, so please let me know what I need when you get a chance. I can figure out what the switch is once I hook it up, probably tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Yes, what's on the photo are parts of the JUGS development set, but without the rest it's unusable, and probably not worth much. Someone who already has the Battlesphere Gold cartridge may be interested in buying it from you.

Maybe the switch isn't a "mode" selector, but a reset or 50/60 Hz switch ? That would make more sense for a console used with JUGS. Do you have any way to know what the switch does exactly when it's toggled (since you haven't bought the console yet if I understood correctly) ?

It depends on what it is, exactly.

If you want to use JUGS, you'll have to add at least a JagLink and a copy of Battlesphere Gold (they're no longer sold, and used copies sell for several hundred dollars). So, considering in the end it'll be much slower and more cumbersome to use than BJL, it doesn't really make sense unless you're a fan of Battlesphere.

If you want to use BJL, the JUGS CD and cable are unnecessary.

If your Jaguar has the BJL ROM inside and the switch controls that, all you'll have to add is a PC with a real parallel port (either integrated or on a PCI/PCIe/PCMCIA/ExpressCard slot -- NOT USB) running Windows or Linux, and a special parallel-to-Jaguar cable. You can either build the cable yourself or buy a ready-made adapter from More Than Games.

If your Jaguar doesn't have the BJL ROM inside, you can either install it yourself, buy the game Protector : Special Edition which includes it, or use Belboz' BJL CD version if you have a JagCD.

Edited by Zerosquare

The switch seems to activate the BJL ROM, as the command line pops up, when the switch is in the proper position. :)

So I just need the adapter you've linked me to below and a PC with a proper parallel port? (I have an old P4 board with one now)

Is there any software needed?

The best feature of this Jaguar: it just works! Amazing after my first experience! :)

Thank you again!

If your Jaguar has the BJL ROM inside and the switch controls that, all you'll have to add is a PC with a real parallel port (either integrated or on a PCI/PCIe/PCMCIA/ExpressCard slot -- NOT USB) running Windows or Linux, and a special parallel-to-Jaguar cable. You can either build the cable yourself or buy a ready-made adapter from More Than Games.

If your Jaguar doesn't have the BJL ROM inside, you can either install it yourself, buy the game Protector : Special Edition which includes it, or use Belboz' BJL CD version if you have a JagCD.

The switch seems to activate the BJL ROM, as the command line pops up, when the switch is in the proper position. :)

So I just need the adapter you've linked me to below and a PC with a proper parallel port? (I have an old P4 board with one now)

Is there any software needed?

The best feature of this Jaguar: it just works! Amazing after my first experience! :)

Ok, so it's a BJL modded jaguar, which came with a JUGS disc, and two thirds of a dump cable. How bizarre.

Yeah, just make yourself an adaptor*, plug in a parallel cable, and you'll be all set to play homebrews. I'm sure a quick google will throw up the BJL uploader software for DOS, Windoze, Linux, or ST.

* The adaptor should cost less in parts than a McDonalds and be better for you too, doesn't even need soldering if you use sockets with modular pins.

• 5 years later...

I've always had the hardest time getting uploads from my PC to work correctly with my Jaguar. I've had two cables (the most recent graciously donated by JagChris) and remember reading a long time ago that they're susceptible to interference.

Is there anything I can do to to ensure that every time I send a game from my PC to the Jaguar that it works?

As it is, for a large game, I have to do it 20-30 times. For "hello world" it might be twice or three times.