IGNORED

FS: ColecoVision / ADAM Cartridges, Overlays, Accessories, etc.

mumbai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PM sent.

Hey Sega Ages, I like your avatar picture!!! For those that don't know, it's the Mechtopus boss in the unreleased ADAM Super Game SubRoc... which will be making it's way to a ColecoVision/SGM cart sometime later this year thanks to Team Pixelboy and Mystery Man.

Hey Sega Ages, I like your avatar picture!!! For those that don't know, it's the Mechtopus boss in the unreleased ADAM Super Game SubRoc...

Yes, my favorite classic ADAM villain :)

I notice you referred to ADAM Super Subroc as "unreleased"? I think I also heard a Retro Gaming Roundup interview during the past year or so, where an ex-Coleco employee also said it may have been unreleased (he wasn't sure). FYI that's definitely not correct, since my family purchased my original Super Subroc digital data pack in a Connecticut retail store circa 1984-1985-ish. It was my favorite ADAM game. (Approx the same time we purchased Super Zaxxon, 2010 Text Adventure, and Super Dragon's Lair all on DDPs in local stores.)

So Super Subroc for ADAM was definitely released officially to stores back in the day, at least locally in CT.

Cheers...

• Like 2

So Super Subroc for ADAM was definitely released officially to stores back in the day, at least locally in CT.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken purchasing Super SubRoc in a store unless it was just a copy (doubtful because there was not a backup program available that could make copies of Super Games at this time) made by someone that was lucky enough to obtain a prototype copy from a Coleco employee because it was never officially released by Coleco. It wasn't until around mid-1985 that a Coleco employee contacted NIAD founder Lyle M. with the offer of a number of unreleased ADAM software programs (Best of E.A., Troll's Tale, SmartBasic v2.0, Super SubRoc, etc.) that could be shared with the ADAM community freely as long as Lyle found a programmer to remove any and all copyright messages in the programs... this is why there are different disk images of these programs with and without the original Coleco copyright text in the title screens.

While I was completed taken by surprise when I first learned of SimpleCalc in 2010 after all these years and that it was a finished and packaged product, I'm confident that there wasn't an official release of Super SubRoc. I do, however, have a mockup picture of the arcade cabinet box that would have been used that is in one of the ADAM Press Kits that I have.

Edited by NIAD

I'm confident that there wasn't an official release of Super SubRoc.

I don't want to derail this valuable selling thread, and I'm certain you probably know far more about the Coleco ADAM overall than I do, but rest assured I'm not mistaken about having owned my favorite Digital Data Pack game for my ADAM during the mid-80s. Circa 1984-1985-ish on my ADAM games shelf I owned both the "surface-battle-only" Coleco cart version of Sega's Subroc, and the "surface-and-underwater" ADAM digital data pack (tape) version of Super Subroc, and played both games endlessly for many months at home in Stamford, Connecticut. (Until I eventually upgraded to a Sega Master System a few years later and stopped playing my ADAM.) I've been on hiatus from this forum for years, so I'm not sure what stories about Super Subroc for ADAM have been accepted as fact. But I did try to nostalgically recount my childhood memories of playing the game, on this forum over 10 years ago, and didn't get more than one response. (In that post I marked the game as being "underrated" because I never saw players talk about this classic.) Maybe now I'm starting to understand why nobody else on AtariAge was nostalgically replying 10 years ago (if the Super Subroc ADAM tape possibly wasn't distributed in the mid-80s beyond some stores near Stamford, CT). Also see my clear comment in my AA post 10 years ago that "I've wanted to talk about this game for about 20 years". Since I don't have any of my old ADAM stuff anymore, our versions of history will just have to agree to disagree. Until someone else from mid-80s Connecticut eventually pops up with their old store-bought Super Subroc digital data pack that they happened to keep with them for 30+ years, and I can then say "I told you so". :)

Back on-topic: I've recently started rebuilding my old Colecovision collection from scratch, and am looking forward to receiving the lot of game carts I've now ordered from mumbai!