IGNORED

2600 Treasure of Tarmin Videos and ROM

Gemintronic

Back a few years before I was interested I SWORE I SAW a 2600 ROM for the prototype 2600 version of Treasure of Tarmin. A few years later I swore I saw a Youtube video of the 2600 version. Even thought I saw a link to the Youtube video here at AtariAge.

The kidscentre.com thinks they have the ROM (but they don't)

Chris Ware from associated content thinks that a ROM is out there:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1476288/classic_atari_advanced_dungeons_and.html?cat=19

Did the ROM exist? Did the Men in Black wipe Youtubes memory of all 2600 Tarmin videos? Am I tottaly going coo coo for Cocoa Puffs?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, from all the screenshots I've seen Batari BASIC can %90 percent replicate the prototypes graphics. I'd bet that someone recreates it first.

* Multi sprite kernel use

* Playfield pixels for side walls

* Secondary sprite for wall up ahead (quad-sized)

* Primary sprite for close monster (double-sized)

* Score mini-kernel with additional characters for 18/080 display

* Secondary sprites for E (direction) and bow icon.. maybe 06 display too

if sprites can be put on separate scanlines

* One more secondary sprite for thrown objects

post-13304-128520058022_thumb.png

Edited by theloon

Well, from all the screenshots I've seen Batari BASIC can %90 percent replicate the prototypes graphics. I'd bet that someone recreates it first.

Why?

It already exists and I don't think the BSR will be too happy about it (let alone WotC).

Better take one that's (still) vapourware.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Why?

It already exists and I don't think the BSR will be too happy about it (let alone WotC).

Better take one that's (still) vapourware.

8)

You mean Tower of Mystery?

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/towerofmystery/towerofmystery.htm

I still don't really understand the issue here. Wouldn't it be relatively trivial to remove all traces of the D&D brand name from these unreleased ROMs? I can't imagine that Wizards of the Coast has any IP rights over the gameplay, graphics, etc. in these titles -- it's just the AD&D name, and maybe the associated subheadings (Tarmin, Tower of Mystery).

The BSR were able to release all three D&D ROMs for Intellivision, in alternate versions with alternate names, on Intellivision Lives! I can't imagine that the VCS versions would have more D&D-specific text in them. I'm sure there are other reasons not to release these ROMs -- time, energy, etc. -- but the legal reasoning has never made sense to me.

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 2

• 8 years later...

wow, did you release a rom bro? I see this in the jazz trading commnity all the time with rare tapes- someone has a rom so rare and they will only trade with you if you can offer an equally as-rare rom

Still in development. Status bar on the bottom is probably going to be re-written soon. It won't be rare as this is a new game created from scratch by myself.

I'm going to try and make this the least rare I can on a physical cart.

• Like 5

Still in development. Status bar on the bottom is probably going to be re-written soon. It won't be rare as this is a new game created from scratch by myself.

I'm going to try and make this the least rare I can on a physical cart.

What ever happened to the 2600 RPG that was going to be like 1MB and needed a SARA?

What ever happened to the 2600 RPG that was going to be like 1MB and needed a SARA?

The largest ROM size I can use is 256k due to the compiler I use. So, this might be a different project you're thinking of?

Still working on getting the technology. In the meantime I'm planning around the worst case scenario of 32k ROM for this particular project.

The largest ROM size I can use is 256k due to the compiler I use. So, this might be a different project you're thinking of?

Still working on getting the technology. In the meantime I'm planning around the worst case scenario of 32k ROM for this particular project.

Maybe that was it. I just remember a while ago you had a huge game in the works that also needed SARA ram too. Remember that CPUWIZ even designed and fabricated the PCB for it? He wrote the bankswitching code for a PLD to support it as well. To date I think I'm the only one that has actually used those boards and only in a very underwhelming fashion with 32k NTSC Fatal Run code. It's like I used a shotgun to kill a fly. I was just inquiring if you where still planning to load up the shotgun to net some real game like a nice big buck :)

• Like 2