IGNORED

The little brother of the Intellivision: Unisonic Champion 2711

slydc

Hi Folks,

After a few years without updating or doing new FAQs, i finally made a brand new one.

The first version was in PFD version but since the second vesion of the Unisonic

Champion 2711 FAQ is way bigger, change the format from PFD to HTML web site.

Why do i call it the "little brother" of the Intellivision ? Well because it has

the same CPU (CP1610) of the Intellivision. I invite you to read everything about the

Unisonic Champion 2711 here:

http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/2711/index.htm

Good reading! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Hi Folks,

After a few years without updating or doing new FAQs, i finally made a brand new one.

The first version was in PFD version but since the second vesion of the Unisonic

Why do i call it the "little brother" of the Intellivision ? Well because it has

the same CPU (CP1610) of the Intellivision. I invite you to read everything about the

http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/2711/index.htm

--- Sly DC ---

Oh wow, so someone DID produce a GIC-based system!

I actually scanned a bunch of GI TV Games stuff in awhile back, and it included this system. Take a look at all the scans. Also, someone else passed along this scan of the GI Games 1978 catalog.

I apologize my scans aren't in PDF form. The second link is.

Hi Folks,

http://www.ccjvq.com.../2711/index.htm

--- Sly DC ---

Hi,

I know Fernando Ross and I saw the console in his house, I never think that was so rare and related to Intellivision!. Well, I can´t collect all.

Cheers,

Ed.

• 2 weeks later...

@revolutionika: Well almost, all carts and built-in games are generally card games except the bingo

and backgammon games and cartridge Pac-05 which are mathematical questions (sort of edutainment).

The Champion 2711 could be programmed for other social games.

@intvnut: indeed! Unisonic did a GIC-based system but the AY-3-8950 was changed to a AY-3-8800

before releasing the system. But the AY-3-8950 has the same pinout for the AY-3-8800. And it's my

turn to say "WOW"! In which General Instrument book did you scanned the pages in PNG files ?

This is the first time that the Gimini Mid-Range is called the "Challenger" and the Gimini Full-Range

is called the "Deluxe". Can you tell me the printing date of the book to see which one of the one

you scanned and the GI Games 1978 catalog was first printed ? Also, can i use you PNG files to update

the Champion 2711 FAQ ? I'll give you the deserved credit. :)

@edintv: You know Fernando and saw the Champion 2711 at his house ? So i must be a real lucky bastard

to have gotten it! Fernando told me how he found it (and the others). I was totally freaking out when

i saw it on Ebay and weld so loud when i won the auction that my neibords heard me! LOL!!! Been looking for

one for more than 7 years and Fernando had one boxed with all carts! Couldn't beleived it.

Did you thought that the console was a Pong system when you was it ?

Edited by slydc

This is the first time that the Gimini Mid-Range is called the "Challenger" and the Gimini Full-Range

is called the "Deluxe". Can you tell me the printing date of the book to see which one of the one

you scanned and the GI Games 1978 catalog was first printed ? Also, can i use you PNG files to update

@edintv: You know Fernando and saw the Champion 2711 at his house ? So i must be a real lucky bastard

to have gotten it! Fernando told me how he found it (and the others). I was totally freaking out when

i saw it on Ebay and weld so loud when i won the auction that my neibords heard me! LOL!!! Been looking for

one for more than 7 years and Fernando had one boxed with all carts! Couldn't beleived it.

Did you thought that the console was a Pong system when you was it ?

Hi, Fernando found some more consoles, and he´s reserving me one. This time i´m not leting go. Interested people can lookout on Ebay..

Cheers..

@intvnut: indeed! Unisonic did a GIC-based system but the AY-3-8950 was changed to a AY-3-8800

before releasing the system. But the AY-3-8950 has the same pinout for the AY-3-8800. And it's my

turn to say "WOW"! In which General Instrument book did you scanned the pages in PNG files ?

Well, unfortunately, I have little more information than what's in those scans. For the scans I made: Those are actually scans of photocopies of a GI databook, circa 1978. I received these photocopies from Karl Guttag, who was on the TMS9918 VDP design team. He had these as part of his competitive analysis folder at the time. I inherited the photocopies when he cleaned out his office. :-)

The PDF file (the one with the color cover) came from Frank Palazzolo. Again, I have no further information than what's in the PDF itself.

Feel free to update the FAQ with my scans. That's why I posted them: To be as useful as possible to as many people as possible. :-)

• Like 1

Hi, Fernando found some more consoles, and he´s reserving me one. This time i´m not leting go. Interested people can lookout on Ebay..

Cheers..

Hi Eduardo,

I've contacted Fernando about the Champion 2711 on Ebay to ask him the serial number since

i'm trying to keep track of all known Champion 2711 serials and owners so far. He also

told me about the others he found and that he reserved one especially for you. Great to

known a future Champion 2711 owner! I don't want the one on Ebay or the rest since Fernando

sold me seven Champion 2711, have plenty of them. :)

Onced you've gotten your Champion 2711, could you tell me the serial number of yours please?

P.S. if any person is interested in owning a Champion 2711, Fernando has on on Ebay right

now: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2805573908091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280557390809&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]:)

--- Sly DC ---

Well, unfortunately, I have little more information than what's in those scans. For the scans I made: Those are actually scans of photocopies of a GI databook, circa 1978. I received these photocopies from Karl Guttag, who was on the TMS9918 VDP design team. He had these as part of his competitive analysis folder at the time. I inherited the photocopies when he cleaned out his office. :-)

The PDF file (the one with the color cover) came from Frank Palazzolo. Again, I have no further information than what's in the PDF itself.

Feel free to update the FAQ with my scans. That's why I posted them: To be as useful as possible to as many people as possible. :-)

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for all those scans and accepted that i can update the FAQ, but do you want

your real name written or do you want me to write "intvnut" for the credits ?

And thanks for sharing the story on how you've obtained your photocopies. Always

fascinates me to learn whom was involved in all sorts of video game projects.

And it will be very usefull, to everyone and to the MESS team so that they can easier do a

AY-3-8800 (aka AY-3-8950) driver since i've lended to them a Champion 2711 to be digitally

preserved.

Thanks again! :)

--- Sly DC ---

Cheers..

Hi Eduardo,

I've contacted Fernando about the Champion 2711 on Ebay to ask him the serial number since

i'm trying to keep track of all known Champion 2711 serials and owners so far. He also

told me about the others he found and that he reserved one especially for you. Great to

known a future Champion 2711 owner! I don't want the one on Ebay or the rest since Fernando

sold me seven Champion 2711, have plenty of them. :)

Onced you've gotten your Champion 2711, could you tell me the serial number of yours please?

P.S. if any person is interested in owning a Champion 2711, Fernando has on on Ebay right

now: eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2805573908091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280557390809&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]:)

--- Sly DC ---

Sure i´ll do that, after i play a little.. :D

Hi Joe,

Thank you so much for all those scans and accepted that i can update the FAQ, but do you want

And thanks for sharing the story on how you've obtained your photocopies. Always

And it will be very usefull, to everyone and to the MESS team so that they can easier do a

AY-3-8800 (aka AY-3-8950) driver since i've lended to them a Champion 2711 to be digitally

preserved.

--- Sly DC ---

Hi slydc,

Very cool thread. I didn't even know that Unisonic came out with a programmable system. I hope this is not too far off topic, but I couldn't help notice your avatar pic. I couldn't remember at first where I saw it and then it hit me. The unreleased Odyssey 5000! Was that too a GIC-based system? Here is the picture that I remember seeing of the Odyssey 5000:

post-9874-128390987528_thumb.jpg

Edited by pboland

Hi Joe,

preserved.

--- Sly DC ---

You can use my real name. I have no problem with that. Also, FWIW, I checked a 1976 GI Databook I have (one of the first to list the venerable PIC 1640 and PIC 1650!), and it only shows the CP-1600 family and AY-3-8500. Most of the TV game circuits came later.

So, that puts a lower bound on the GIC, I imagine.

Hi slydc,

Very cool thread. I didn't even know that Unisonic came out with a programmable system. I hope this is not too far off topic, but I couldn't help notice your avatar pic. I couldn't remember at first where I saw it and then it hit me. The unreleased Odyssey 5000! Was that too a GIC-based system? Here is the picture that I remember seeing of the Odyssey 5000:

Hi pboland,

My avatar comes from your picture actually! You posted the picture in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117540-atari-tank-ii-odyssey-5000-pics/page__p__1420423__hl__Odyssey%205000__fromsearch__1#entry1420423

I've rendered the screenshot and made it my avatar, hope you don't mind!

As for the Odyssey 5000, here's what i know:

It had x2 dedicated chips inside, one made by National Semiconductors called the MM57106 and another

one by Signetics called the CR861 (aka MUGS-1). The MM57106 has 7 games in color which with variations,

gave a total of 23 games. This chip has never been released here in the U.S. but was released in Japan

and in Europe (called the MM57186). Philips used the MM57186 in their Odyssey 2100 (color display) and

Videojeu N30 (black & white display). As for the CR861, it only had two games (x1 helicopter game and

x1 tank game), which the tank game is featured in your picture you scanned from a unknown magazine

(would appreciate to know which magazine you've find the picture ;) ).

So the Odyssey 5000 had 9 games but with variations totaled 25 games all in color. Also, Ralph H. Baer

worked on the Odyssey 5000 between the 8 & 9th of September 1977. He was later informed (September 19th

1977) that Magnavox management finally decided to proceed with the Intel 8048 processor (the CPU of the

Odyssey 2) and scrap the Odyssey 5000.

For the helicopter game, you can see a screenshot in the book "Video Games" by Len Buckwalter (page 84 -

Fig. 8-3 "Battling Helicopters"). It is still unknown if the Signetics CR861 still exists somewhere but they

did manufactured a bunch of them. Oh and if you didn't know this, Signetics was brought by Philips in 1975

and Magnavox was owned by Philips. So here you have it, that's all the information i have regarding

the Magnavox Odyssey 5000.

P.S. What i would give to see the CR861 in action!! Sigh...

--- Sly DC ---

Edited by slydc

You can use my real name. I have no problem with that. Also, FWIW, I checked a 1976 GI Databook I have (one of the first to list the venerable PIC 1640 and PIC 1650!), and it only shows the CP-1600 family and AY-3-8500. Most of the TV game circuits came later.

So, that puts a lower bound on the GIC, I imagine.

Hi again Joe,

Great! So in the next version of the FAQ (this month), you'll see your name in the credits. ;)

I have a GI databook called "Microelectronics Data Catalog" published in 1982. It features the CP1610,

the 8900 Programmable Game System (which became the Mattel Intellivision) and dedicated game chip

AY-3-8500-1 and the 8600 Series TV Games (better known as the Soundic SD-050/SD-070 and SD-090 and

a multitude of cartridge dedicated chip systems) [AY-3-8603, AY-3-8605, AY-3-8606, AY-3-8607,

AY-3-8610 and AY-3-8765]. But there no reference to the 8950 Challenger/Mid-Range system. :(

Seems that even the 8950 Challenger/Mid-Range is obscure informations. ;)

--- Sly DC ---

Hi slydc,

Hi pboland,

My avatar comes from your picture actually! You posted the picture in this thread:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/117540-atari-tank-ii-odyssey-5000-pics/page__p__1420423__hl__Odyssey%205000__fromsearch__1#entry1420423

I've rendered the screenshot and made it my avatar, hope you don't mind!

Not at all. I was kind of hoping you had an OD 5000 because I was going to ask for some pics. :D

(would appreciate to know which magazine you've find the picture ;) ).

You ask and you shall receive:

Radio Electronics July 1982 page 52

Unfortunetly, They really don't say anything about it. They don't even say it is the OD 5000. I inferred that base on info from other websites and shape of the system in the picture (and knowing that I've never seen an OD before the OD2 that looked like that). Thanks for the info!

• 3 months later...

Great Info on the Unisonic!! I actually have one brand new in the box, never been touched, instruction booklet never been read, all protective plastic still on the system, warranty card, and the rf switch even still has the protective double sided tape paper still on it, all inside a good condition box. It sat in my room for years and I dont even know how it got there so I just held on to it until now. Was ready to post on ebay along with a bunch of other game systems I cant play anymore because I just dont have the space or time :(.

Ill post on here when I am ready to sell but its a very cool piece-almost played it a few years back lol. Thanks for posting the info!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Very interesting do you have any more information or links to info on the 8900 that the Intellivision was based on. I am a big Intellivision fan and would love to learn more about it. And what Mattel did to turn it into the Intellivision.

• 1 month later...

I'm interested in adding emulation of the Philips Odyssey 5000 (or at least the Signetics CR861 component of it) to the Ami/WinArcadia emulators. A datasheet for the CR861 would be invaluable, but I haven't been able to find one...

Edited by Minuous

• 6 months later...

@Harmik: Well i don't have pretty much informations about the Intellivision, anything i have is already in the Unisonic Champion 2711

FAQ. But i strongly suggest that you visit the web site of intvnut which he has scans of the Gimini Deluxe 8900 Programmable Game

System (aka Intellivision).

@Minuous: I would love to help you out about the CR861 but everyhing i know is already written on this topic. The only person that

may help you out would be the Father of Videogames, none other that Ralph H. Baer. He tested out this chip in September 1977.

Maybe he has datasheets of the CR861. If he does, please let us know!! :grin: (i would die a happy man! LOL!)

Edited by slydc
  • Like 1

Hi Folks!

I finally updated the Unisonic Champion 2711 FAQ (after 15 months). Here's what's added:

- Specifications updated

- Instruction book completely scanned (in 5 parts or full)

- Casino TV Games (sold in Japan)

- All the scans from intvnut (thanks again!)

- added 3 more unreleased games

- and so on...

Go read it here: http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/index/faq/2711/index.htm

--- Sly DC ---

• 1 year later...