IGNORED

Free Halo 2600 and other homebrew screenshots needed

e1will

Good news, everyone!

There is now a Wikipedia article on Atari 2600 homebrews.

The bad news is, there aren't enough screenshots in that article. Now, of course, anyone can take screenshots, but due to various boring legal reasons it's much, much better if the person who wrote the game (1) takes the screenshot and (2) releases it either to the public domain or with a CC-BY-SA license.

I agreed to release a whole bunch of Duck Attack! screenshots CC-BY-SA, so there's a Duck Attack! screenshot in there, but it would be great if we could make some other games' screenshots available to the good folks at Wikipedia.

Basically, if you've written a homebrew game and you're willing to offer a screenshot to Wikipedia and whomever else might want to use it, please post the screenshot in this thread and say something like this: "I, _______, wrote this game, took the screenshot, and release the screenshot with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license."

I'm especially hoping the following people are able to help out:

- Ed Fries, because there's a Halo 2600 article that really needs a screenshot;

- Zach Matley, because there's already a Four-Play screenshot there, but it's tagged as "unfree" so it could get deleted; and

- Bob Montgomery, because there's already a Go-Fish screenshot there, but it's tagged as "unfree" so it could get deleted.

Everyone else who's written a 2600 homebrew is welcome to offer a screenshot too: if we had some free screenshots of Medieval Mayhem, Juno First, Lady Bug and K.O. Cruiser available to the Wikipedia folks, I'm sure they could find a good home for them.

Thanks!

--Will

Not on your list, but since my game is mentioned in that article too:

I, Thomas Jentzsch, wrote this game (Thrust), took the screenshots, and release the screenshots to the Public Domain.

Hope that helps.

BTW: Animated screenshots would be even better, but do they allow them?

post-45-128290586617_thumb.png

post-45-128290589294_thumb.png

That would depend on whether the .gif format is still in a legal grey area itself (?).

But I don't understand the concern. If, for instance, a newspaper printed a review of a novel...would it be unlawful to print a picture of the novel's cover without the specific permission granted by the publisher of that work? There are literally millions of software screenshots online, and I've never heard anything like this before.

Thank you Thomas! They do allow animated GIFs.

Nukey: The concern's basically if we want a single "fair use" screenshot to illustrate the idea of an Atari 2600 homebrew, no problem. If we want a bunch of them, "fair use" won't fly. Personally, I'd prefer a bunch of them. If they're "free images", they can be used much more easily on articles that aren't about that game specifically, and nobody will try to delete them.

--Will

Hi Will,

As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to use any of the screenshots (or other pictures) I've put up on the Halo 2600 Facebook fan page. Whether I have the right to grant permission to use something related to Halo is a question for lawyers. I do have a conversation underway with the Xbox Game Room people which may clarify the legal status of Halo 2600. I should be meeting with them next week. Hope this helps,

-EdF

Hi Will,

As far as I'm concerned you are welcome to use any of the screenshots (or other pictures) I've put up on the Halo 2600 Facebook fan page. Whether I have the right to grant permission to use something related to Halo is a question for lawyers. I do have a conversation underway with the Xbox Game Room people which may clarify the legal status of Halo 2600. I should be meeting with them next week. Hope this helps,

-EdF

Thanks Ed. I understand things aren't quite as clear-cut in this case, but at least the screenshot will be able to indicate you don't have an objection to it being used, which should help.

--Will

Thanks for passing along the news about the Wikipedia article. It's great to get notice for the many great homebrew games out there!

As for screenshots, in case any of Euchre make their way into the article...

I, Erik Eid, wrote this game ("Euchre", named "Video Euchre" in the Activision Anthology), took the screenshots, and release the screenshots with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.

post-56-128294601243_thumb.pngpost-56-128294601761_thumb.pngpost-56-128294602181_thumb.png

Thanks for passing along the news about the Wikipedia article. It's great to get notice for the many great homebrew games out there!

As for screenshots, in case any of Euchre make their way into the article...

I, Erik Eid, wrote this game ("Euchre", named "Video Euchre" in the Activision Anthology), took the screenshots, and release the screenshots with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.

Thanks Erik!

--Will

No bB games? :(

I'll fix that...

I, Jonathon Bont (referred to as Animan on certain internet websites, and whiteechidna on Youtube), wrote this game (Trashman, later renamed Trashmania), took the screenshots, and release the screenshots with a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.

post-23192-128302245398_thumb.png

post-23192-128302245787_thumb.png

post-23192-128302246475_thumb.png

Edited by Animan

I'll fix that...

Thanks Jonathon. Did this end up on a cart? If not, no problem, a screenshot of a bB game would still probably be useful in the "creating homebrews" section.

Is there a list someplace of which games in the AA store are bBasic games? I know Melbourne Tatty is one, maybe Solar Plexus too?

--Will

I'll fix that...

Thanks Jonathon. Did this end up on a cart? If not, no problem, a screenshot of a bB game would still probably be useful in the "creating homebrews" section.

Is there a list someplace of which games in the AA store are bBasic games? I know Melbourne Tatty is one, maybe Solar Plexus too?

--Will

No, Trashmania never made it on cart, but I remember a few saying they'd like to see it on cart.

I think Dungeon was made in bB. Cave In might also have, but I don't know.