IGNORED

Skull Island - Wood Case!

yuppicide

I think part of the problem was way too many options "I want this, I want that", and that's an easy way for things to get out of control. Now, granted, I don't agree on taking people's money, and give them nothing on return, but this is a hobby, and sometimes in a hobby this things happen. I think calling the cops, or constantly crying and bitching for the past 2 years over 50 bucks it's a bit too much IMO, life goes on, MOVE THE F*CK ON. Give the guy a break, he had good intentions, and I do wish to see this game out in cart form.

• Like 1

Well, for anyone vouching for him, how about assuming his debt? It may only be $85 (per member) but it's the principle, I don't like being ripped off, and this guy probably has the honor of ripping off the largest number of AA members in one shot. Why would you defend that?

Anyone thinking he is a stand up guy, pm me for my email and send me the refund, you should have no trouble getting it back from him, lol! Bitching and moaning? Please...

Oh, and it's not that he ripped off someone for $50, when you add up all the members, it's $1000's of dollars, getting into some serious territory with that. There is a thread going back and forth for a while in the Bad Trader thread about a NES TETRIS cart, what is that worth, $2? But it's the principle...

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is one of the biggest, if not the biggest fraud in AA history, affecting the most members, I would think. As someone posted previously, unfortunately this will have an affect on legit game startups who need to raise funds for projects...

Well, for anyone vouching for him, how about assuming his debt? It may only be $85 (per member) but it's the principle, I don't like being ripped off, and this guy probably has the honor of ripping off the largest number of AA members in one shot. Why would you defend that?

Anyone thinking he is a stand up guy, pm me for my email and send me the refund, you should have no trouble getting it back from him, lol! Bitching and moaning? Please...

I totally agree Gez, I guess some people just don't work hard for their coin.. and if their pockets are that deep and money is no object then they can do some refunding!! ;) like I said in past posts. I've hung out with the guy and seemed like a cool guy!! don't mean I'll be kissing his rear anytime soon though :woozy:

I had a series of private emails with him later last year - convinced him to start the few refunds he did deliver on....but he hasn't responded for months now. He knows and even admits to this obligation, has even posted about it, just is not following through. Like others (and I) have said earlier, he is a nice enough guy, but at the end of the day, still owes 1000's of dollars back to AA members....

Nevermind... I'm out of this thread.

I totally agree Gez, I guess some people just don't work hard for their coin.. and if their pockets are that deep and money is no object then they can do some refunding!! ;) like I said in past posts. I've hung out with the guy and seemed like a cool guy!! don't mean I'll be kissing his rear anytime soon though :woozy:

Edited by Osbo

I think part of the problem was way too many options "I want this, I want that", and that's an easy way for things to get out of control. Now, granted, I don't agree on taking people's money, and give them nothing on return, but this is a hobby, and sometimes in a hobby this things happen. I think calling the cops, or constantly crying and bitching for the past 2 years over 50 bucks it's a bit too much IMO, life goes on, MOVE THE F*CK ON. Give the guy a break, he had good intentions, and I do wish to see this game out in cart form.

Interesting- but I am not sure you see the larger picture here. If I steal three dollars from 1,000 people, each person might have only been marginally affected, but my stolen goods amount to felony level larceny (which I think is like 2,500 or something). So you are basically saying that since EACH person only lost 50, then the law shouldn't be involved, but if it really is into the 1K range, that is not an insubstantial amount- so he should get away with it because he had good intentions? How much of a break should he get? Me, personally, I would look at it like he stole 85$ from me, which I wouldn't call the cops over if it was my own thing, but he did that to lots of other people, which means he has PROFITED off of what amounts to a felony, good intentions or not. Where is the "good guy" line drawn?

It's definitely in the 3 -4K range, when you include both projects. Everyone can have their own opinion, as someone who was personally involved, I am trying to get my money back, I didn't buy in on speculation and didn't think I would end up paying his rent or whatever he used the money for. If you disagree and would be ok with how this went down, that's ok too! Not trying to be malicious here or anything...

Just my two cents, but when someone accepts money for a product they are offering, then they should make good on the transaction and either pony up the product or refund the money. The issue isn't that circumstances arose that caused the product to be delayed or cancelled, the issue is with the lack of refunds and/or follow through. Everyone runs into hard times that may cause plans to change. But if the general view on the forum is going to be, "well, it's just money, shit happens", then you can be sure that I will thing twice before putting myself on any preorder list that requires money paid upfront.

-B

• Like 1

Shawn is not a scammer, something bad happened in his life, I guarantee it. I've done big deals with him, give him some time.

Sorry to disagree with you here Wiz but after closing in on 2 years with no end in sight ESPECIALLY seeing as you personally built a

batch of carts for him it doesn't matter at this point how well to do he has been in the past. He's ripped off a ton of people for large cash and that is something a good history

can't fix when it's gone on for over 700 days.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

What I do agree with: Concern for money, desire for refunds, the right thing being making good on it. I am in total agreement on this front.

What I don't agree with: Writing him off as a 'scammer' or some sort of criminal due to this.

I want my cart made, or if that can't happen, I want my money back too, but I don't think it's prudent to call him some sort of low-life or degenerate or the like. Something very major may have occurred, and to wholesale write someone off in that way without all the facts is just something I personally feel is wrong. That's just me though.

This is why when I've done pre-orders or the like I don't take any funds up front (and I've had several ideas that turned into "pre-order" type lists that absolutely flopped from the beginning and will likely never happen). For the lamps I made, I refused to take money until both product was made AND product was on someone's doorstep. I footed the bill for all shipping costs and all manufacturing costs. Someone could easily have ripped me off by claiming the package never arrived, or was damaged, etc. but in the end, to me, that was more valuable than taking $350 or so per item for 6-7 items and then having some unforseen difficulty occur in which I couldn't follow through or refund if the problem arose.

Frankly, I think when pre-orders are concerned, if it's not possible to pay for everything out of your own pocket, it's probably not a good idea to be doing a pre-order in the first place, and someone should reconsider their priorities in making a release. That's just me though, and I'm a huge stickler about it, even outright REFUSING payment when people insisted.

The reasoning behind it? So something like this doesn't happen. I'd hate to feel like I could never come back to AtariAge because I screwed up on a pre-order, and I would be completely and utterly ashamed for my own lack of ability to follow through.

Anyway, that's my position on it. I don't think asking for a refund is unreasonable, and I don't think expecting services or product for payment rendered is inappropriate or wrong. In fact, the complete opposite -- I agree wholeheartedly. I just don't agree with dragging the guy's reputation completely in the mud without explanations or facts to prove one way or another. I can understand being concerned for unethical behavior, and I can understand worrying about being scammed, but I just don't think yuppicide is a scammer. I still want my money back or cart made, yes, but I don't think he's a scammer is all.

• Like 4

What would be awesome would be if you could make the whole thing the size of a standard 2600 box, with that box being a puzzle or something that fits together. and inside you would have the wood 2600 that would fit in it. I think that sort of thing would go over well because people like things that can fit on their shelf with their other carts. And no shrinkwrap or tape seal! Lazer etch the box graphics on the front and ends. That would be bitchen.

Hey, I agree too!

The issue is that he is completely MIA now - this after finally reestablishing communications before Christmas, and promising some sort of a repayment schedule. It's not like he doesn't have options (refunds, complete project, ask for help, refund schedule, anything!), and it's not like he has not been given enough time (2 years) and chances. If he would simply communicate something, everyone would give him the benefit of the doubt, even now. It's actually kind of insulting that this was previously referred to witch hunt, check the comments, people are actually pretty supportive of him, and I do think his rep can be salvaged, but he has to communicate!

He has a history of poor communications and updates all through these projects, and make some critical errors (like taking the money up front -heck, starting a second project before finishing the first one was dumb too!), but until he at leasts attempts to make this right, his reputation will deservably suffer.

We keep assuming some sort of life event or something has delayed this - but that is just another assumption, we don't know that. When he did email me before Christmas, there was no life event or disaster that preventing him from finishing or refunding, he was just in over his head, didn't like his job, etc etc. Really had no reason at all to hang on to everyone's cash. Hey, cancel your cable and do 1 refund a month, after all, it wasn't your money to begin with.

Really he has failed to follow through 4 times - intial Skull Island payment, then asking for additional money, the money for Alture, then the more recent promises of refunds. I'll try to communicate with him one last time through email and Facebook, and hopefully he responds. No one here wants this to escalate up into charges against him, but he simply needs to respond with something. No one expects everyone to get a refund tomorrow, but he needs a plan, and he needs to follow through with it. After that - he made his bed..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I didn't even know about this thread. But after 5 minutes of trolling through it.. All I can say is what a con-artist, a bastard to be sure.

Anybody that gives money to anybody, on a promise, especially today, deserves to get scammed though.

Excuses this excuses that. Pffffaagghh! go bite me.

Well, it sounds like what happened is he spent the money from the carts he did sell on supplies for altura, I'm guessing things ended up being more time consuming and expensive than he thought. The profits were likely spent before the project was completed which is a big no no because there is no pay off for completing it if you already spent it and now he is so far behind and has no way too dig himself out of the hole so he's running.

My advice to him would be to start at the top of the list (whoever paid first) and just start refunding in order $5 per week to each person until the debt is paid. It would be terribly time consuming and people will be angry but at least he would be making an effort and not running away and basically giving the finger to everyone. I think people would apreciate something over nothing.

What would be awesome would be if you could make the whole thing the size of a standard 2600 box, with that box being a puzzle or something that fits together. and inside you would have the wood 2600 that would fit in it. I think that sort of thing would go over well because people like things that can fit on their shelf with their other carts. And no shrinkwrap or tape seal! Lazer etch the box graphics on the front and ends. That would be bitchen.

lol, you must have missed the last 3 pages, I am pretty sure this project is canned and now turning criminal.

Sorry to disagree with you here Wiz but after closing in on 2 years with no end in sight ESPECIALLY seeing as you personally built a

batch of carts for him (something I've done for him in the past also like for the game YANKEEMANIA a few years ago) it doesn't matter

at this point how well to do he has been in the past. He's ripped off a ton of people for large cash and that is something a good history

Yankeemania was yuppicide? I thought it was Red 5?

Shawn is not a scammer, something bad happened in his life, I guarantee it. I've done big deals with him, give him some time.

batch of carts for him (something I've done for him in the past also like for the game YANKEEMANIA a few years ago) it doesn't matter

at this point how well to do he has been in the past. He's ripped off a ton of people for large cash and that is something a good history

Just to clear this up a bit... Yankeemania was my game, not yuppicide's. I just don't want people to think I was related to this other project in any way. Please do not head to my house with torches and pitchforks. I am your friendly neighborhood Atari fan who loves all the fine members of this outstanding site.

On the other hand, having been around here since 2004... This is the worst thing I have seen. There have been a couple of crappy scams on here before, but not of this magnitude. I hope it all gets cleared up for all of you.